AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Grex, which I got several years ago, but have not used since then because of the difficulty of setting it up (many attempts at trying). Yesterday, an AV expert and I spent over 4 hours trying to set it up (this was our second attempt - the first was last year). We finally got it to work, but only twice. What happens is most of the time only the audio is recorded. We are almost certain we now have set up everything correctly because previously (before we got the two "accidental" working attempts) we would see a lot of "snow" on the DVD from the videotape transfer. Now, other than the two successful attempts, we only get a blank or dark video (no snow or other signs of copy protection) and the audio. We have this connected to a Funai SV2000 and we've followed all the instructions for installation and operation on the dimax.com (Grex) website and in its FAQ section. We've also searched the forums and have not found anything that might help. Is there a particular technique in the order of steps (disconnect Grex power, put in VHS and DVD media, select L1/E1 rear input, go to VCR, power Grex, play VCR, press DVD record, switch back to VCR, etc.)? As I said, only twice in over 15 attempts has this worked. Also, those two successful attempts were not consecutive. They seemed almost random successes. Can anyone give us some guidance?

·
Registered
891 Posts
^^^^^ Maybe a bum unit????? it's possible. Is it still under warranty??? Is there a NTSC/PAL switch?,is it set to NTSC?? i've never owned a Grex filter(i have a Sima) but these are real simple gizmos,there's not much that can go wrong when hooking these things up,and you should have it set up and running in less than 5 mins.,so my guess would be that it's a bad filter,OR maybe a bad power supply,but don't know if a bad power supply could cause the problem your having.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the warranty is only 1 year so it would be out of warranty. Yes, it's possible it's a bum unit. I wish there was a way to check on that. The other thought I had was it may be because I am using a DVD/VCR combo recorder instead of using separate units. I think I might have read somewhere (haven't been able to find it) that it was very tricky trying to get videostabilizers to work with combo units. Perhaps you or others might know about that? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blachman  /t/1416862/grex-connected-correctly-but-only-works-sporadically#post_22154949

The other thought I had was it may be because I am using a DVD/VCR combo recorder instead of using separate units. I think I might have read somewhere (haven't been able to find it) that it was very tricky trying to get videostabilizers to work with combo units..

This could indeed be the source of your troubles. Very very few combo units have truly separate input and output connections for the VHS and DVD: usually if you try to connect a filter or enhancer or TBC between the VHS and DVD sections, it doesn't work (because the two sections are auto-connected internally for dubbing, so the thing will usually not accept itself as an external line input). There are exceptions: a handful of combos do have completely separate inputs/outputs for the VCR and DVD sections. I'm not familiar with your SVO model but it was very popular awhile back, perhaps another owner can verify if it can record off of itself externally.

The best way to check if you have a defective Grex would be to borrow someone else's VCR or DVD/VCR unit. Connect the line outs of the other unit to the inputs of the Grex, and the outputs of the Grex to the inputs of your own combo. Set your combo to the line input the Grex is plugged into, and hit record. Assuming you have the Grex set to NTSC, it should work no problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, CitiBear. Your suggestions are great and I will try them. I have one question about your last sentence, "assuming have the Grex set to NTSC . . "

I haven't found any information on the Dimax site or these forums about setting/changing the Grex setting. The Dimax site indicates it works for both PAL/NTSC and its FAQ site says there are two "modes," but to use the default (001) mode unless their tech support says otherwise.

Do you have any further information about setting to NTSC?

Thanks (again).

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
If the Grex was shipped to you as a USA buyer, its probably been preset to NTSC. I don't own a Grex so I'm not sure of its various settings, but according to their FAQ page there is no need to ever change settings unless the mfr service/help staff tells you to do so during troubleshooting. Most likely your Grex sets itself automatically, I only mentioned the NTSC setting because the older Sima filter that I use has such a switch button.

Most likely your difficulty stems from trying to install the Grex on your combo unit by itself: borrow another player and connect the Grex between the other player and your combo unit, and everything should work properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again, CitiBear regarding the NTSC settings. I will get hold of another VCR player and install with the Grex and my combo unit as you suggested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts