AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that some people can't handle watching 4:3 with grey bars. Personally, I don't see a problem with them and I don't mind the look of the grey bars when watching. When compared to watching in zoom, full, or just, I much prefer the grey bars vs. distorted aspect ratios. Plus, they can prevent burn in.

Anybody care to share their thoughts on watching with grey bars?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I notice grey bars when the station broadcasts them and find them distracting. I don't notice black bars. I never watch anything outside original OAR. I don't care about burn-in, I have an LCD.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
The grey bars do not bother me. There are times I watch original 4:3 and times when I stretch it. The issue is more of wanting to fill the screen rather than any problem with bars of any color. It really depends on the channel content and quality.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renlopez
I've read that some people can't handle watching 4:3 with grey bars. Personally, I don't see a problem with them and I don't mind the look of the grey bars when watching. When compared to watching in zoom, full, or just, I much prefer the grey bars vs. distorted aspect ratios. Plus, they can prevent burn in.

Anybody care to share their thoughts on watching with grey bars?
It's really just a matter of personal preference.

Personally i can't stand the gray bars. Luckily the only time i see them is when i watch upconverted 4:3 programs on the local CBS station (local news, Price is Right, etc) so i watch these on the regular SD channel instead. My 42PX50 give the option of white/gray/black bars on non-HD sources and i keep this set to black as it blends in well with the black bezel. Gray is just too much of a distraction, kinda like my Panny's giant silver duck-foot table stand :)

I watch most SD shows in JUST mode, but when i'm watching sports car racing or automotive specialty shows on SpeedChannel i watch it OAR with black bars. The rest of the time JUST mode is good enough.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why is it that you don't like the grey bars? Does it degrade the picture? Does it decrease perceived contrast of the picture?

If it is a matter of preference, I prefer normal with grey bars over full or just because I don't like distorted pictures. I don't like zoom either because of the degredation of PQ because of scaling issues.

I'm concerned with burn in with black bars, but I guess on special occations it would be fine to use black.

I can imagine grey bars would be more distracting in low light conditions.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
There is a school of thought that says, due to the way the eye perceives color and brightness relative to other colors and levels of brightness, having grey bars instead of black can actually make the sets black levels appear deeper. Silver bezels also pertain to this thought.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I find the grey bars very distracting. Fortunately my Hitachi S500 allows me to change to black but unfortunately the bars can only be changed if watching 480p/480i not upconverted 4:3.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I also can't stand gray bars.

Check Out the all-new BruZZi's Panasonic Plasma FAQ

The FAQ plus links to Plasma Stands, Wallmounts, Murals, Lifts, Speakers, Frames, Bezels & More.

Also links to Audio/Video Faqs, Comparisons, News, Reviews, Shootouts, Tutorials, Tweaks & Many More.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Please elaborate.
I just find it very distracting as other mentioned. That's all. :)

The FAQ plus links to Plasma Stands, Wallmounts, Murals, Lifts, Speakers, Frames, Bezels & More.

Also links to Audio/Video Faqs, Comparisons, News, Reviews, Shootouts, Tutorials, Tweaks & Many More.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
When compared to watching in zoom, full, or just, I much prefer the grey bars vs. distorted aspect ratios. Plus,
I can honestly say that I used to HATE the "Just" mode on the Panasonic.

But eventually I got used to it.

Now it doesn't bother me anymore. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.