AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm hopeing someone can explain the following. I have a 4:3 screen. when watching movies that are not a full 16x9 ie 1.85 and 2.35 aspect ratios there are these greyish black bars that I see which appear to fill out the rest of the 16x9 portion that is not used. My qestion is why are they grey and not black. This occurs with both WINDVD 4.0 and POWERDVD 4.0. I hope this makes sense. Essentially it just looks weird. I have these grey bar that fill in the 16x9 viewing surface and the rest of my 4:3 screen is a solid black. Why are the bars grey and not black. Can anyone explain this?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by liquidzero
i'm hopeing someone can explain the following. I have a 4:3 screen. when watching movies that are not a full 16x9 ie 1.85 and 2.35 aspect ratios there are these greyish black bars that I see which appear to fill out the rest of the 16x9 portion that is not used. My qestion is why are they grey and not black. This occurs with both WINDVD 4.0 and POWERDVD 4.0. I hope this makes sense. Essentially it just looks weird. I have these grey bar that fill in the 16x9 viewing surface and the rest of my 4:3 screen is a solid black. Why are the bars grey and not black. Can anyone explain this?
Dude, I think you're projector is busted :) j/k

hello pierre :)

-phil

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Sounds like your overlay brightness is set too high and then you have adjusted at the PJ to compensate... Try raising your PJ brightness a touch and lowering your overlay control (look up scoped settings for your card here) and re adjust with avia...

I dont believe their is a full range luma in checkbox in either of those players but check the config to see if there is... Remember NTSC uses 7.5 IRE as baseline black and computers use 0IRE as black...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi,

I noticed the same problem with an overstressed brightness for the overlay. The problem is that the newest ATI-Driver overlay control is enabled any time you run a program that uses overlay. The standard values are so ridiculously high that you get grayish black bars.

Solution: Either you go back to some previous drivers (which I did :) ) or you have to enter the overlay control each time you run a DVD player ´cause your standard values are NOT stored :-(((((

So long, Torsten

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys were right. It was a setting with the overlay. The default settings for the Radeon 7500 all in wonder for OverLay look great. This is what happens, when you tweak the colors in WINDVD 4.0 and then click on he default which should reset the settings back default doesn't work. In WinDVD the sliders all return to normal but when you look at the overlay properties for the card they are not reset.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by liquidzero
You guys were right. It was a setting with the overlay. The default settings for the Radeon 7500 all in wonder for OverLay look great. This is what happens, when you tweak the colors in WINDVD 4.0 and then click on he default which should reset the settings back default doesn't work. In WinDVD the sliders all return to normal but when you look at the overlay properties for the card they are not reset.

Thanks for the help
Pierre,

You might have better luck with these drivers here:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Sup...#Video%20Cards

p.s. I got my HD card... no HD signal yet though :( looks like i'm gonna pop for a $70 Set-Top attenna at the Rat Shack. We need to hang this weekend.

p.p.s. f*ck you :)

-phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.