AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put grey ceiling tiles in my basement for my theater room. Can someone please let me know who makes Grey tiles? I tried looking on Armstrong's page and didn't find any. The wife doesn't want to go with Black, but I did get her to agree with grey.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
How Gray? Battleship or Light?

Armstrong has the Fine Fissured tiles that come in black, platinum, oyster, etc. The Platinum is probably a light gray.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure. Would the light gray do the job on the ceiling in a theater? Or would it need to be a dark gray. I'm open to you guys suggestions. As long as I can "sell" a dark gray :)

Jeff

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
It's all relative. The darker the better for taming light reflections, but there are many with white ceilings that still have an enjoyable movie experience. It's all about compromises between you and the SO :)

That said, you won't be able to be too choosy, as designer color tiles just aren't abundent, and even if you can find some, you'll be sure to pay a premium. One option is to get white tiles and paint them. Many members have also had success going this route. Just keep in mind that adding any paint to the tile will lower its NRC rating.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Besides painting the tiles another option is to wrap the tiles in fabric. I plan to do this with my tiles both to get the color I want and to tie the ceiling into the decore of the room (the walls will also be covered in fabric).

One bonus is that this should raise the NRC of the tile as well. although I'm sure it will be a lot of work. Also, I haven't tried stapling into the tile yet and it may very well break from the impact. If this is the case I suppose glue will work.

Kirk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Try USG (United States Gypsum), the same people that make sheetrock/drywall.

My local ceiling specialty store has them:

Ceiling & Walls

Farmington Road

Livonia, Michigan

Area code (734) 555-1212 for local information

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.