AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be ordering the HS10 very soon and I have ordered the High Contrast Matte White (HCMW) which is almost the same as High Contrast Cinema Vision (HCCV); they are both grey material. My question is will these types of screens enchance the PQ on the HS10...or will it be better with a white material. I will be making my own frame 92" diag and using the HCMW fabric for less than $200 ;) but I want to hear from anyone that has compared both types of screens with the HS10..thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
Haven´t compered a grey screen against a white, only saw it on a 1.5 gain white screen and I would say give me a grey screen.

I 100 % sure you did the right choice going with a grey screen.

I have had 5 projectors crt, lcd and dlp so I now what a good picture should look like.

I saw someone recomend a 2.8 gain screen ( hi Power) and my coments is, if someone wants a crapy picture go with a white 2.8 gain screen.

The only + with a 2.8 screen would be brightnes evrything else will look worse.

By going with a grey 1.1 gain screen, you will sacrifacie some brightness but evrything and I say evreything else will be better.

You will have to go smaller with a grey screen comperse to a high power screen.

But think about it, it´s better to have a smaller but kick ass picture then a big crappy picture.

I think 92" should be a very good size for the combo hcmw and hs10.

For my sake I think I going to buy some goo paint ( digital grey) and go for a size which i still could use the filter and cinema black combo.

So you can rest you did the right choice.

Patric

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great Patric...thanks. I sure I have no worries about brightness since Im projecting only 92" diag. and also the HS10 is a bright PJ. Now im sure I will have the best screen for my PJ and not spending like $800-$1600.:)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Quote:
But think about it, it´s better to have a smaller but kick ass picture then a big crappy picture.
I'm not so sure about that ;) I have an amazing picture on my 55" RPTV, but I'm willing to sacrifice a *little* picture quality to go up to 92". I'm sure the HS10 won't look as good as my RPTV, but it should be close enough that I will still be very happy, especially with the huge image!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hi, I own the ae300, not the hs10, but I really think your optimal screen is going to depend on your viewing environment more than anything else. Personally, I'm really a matte white screen guy - doesn't mess with colors, no hotspotting, no sparklies, widest viewing angle, and appropriate for table or ceiling mounted pjs. But, you have to have good light control to use a matte white screen. This means NO ambient light, the only light source should be your pj. It also means you can't have light colored walls around the screen or light will reflect back to the screen and washout the image. If you don't have great light control then you'd be better off with a gray screen. Keep in mind there are 2 types of gray screens - matte gray like dalite HC da-mat, and gray screens with a reflective coating like the HCCV. HCCV really looks best with a ceilling mounted pj, and the HC da-mat should work with pretty much any pj configuration. Also, HC damat won't help you if you have ambient light from sources other than the pj. I really didn't like how my HCCV sample worked with my table mounted pj - I could see that the sample was noticeably brighter when placed at the bottom of the screen vs. the top. It also had noticeable sparklies. On the other hand, I thought the HC damat darkened the image too much - much more than the 0.8 gain would indicate. My Canon EOS A2's light meter thought the HC damat was about 50% as bright as the white screen, not 80%.

I don't really believe the claims that gray screens will improve your lcd's contrast and shadow detail in any situation - they will improve contrast IF you have less than perfect light control. But if you do have great light control I'd say go with the white screen.

--

Mike U.

·
Registered
300 Posts
What I mean by smal wasn´t a 55 ", that I also think is to small ( for film and sports ,but for tv 55" is a very good size), about 80" is my my limit.

What I mean is, better doing 180 cm wide(not the digonal size) with a great picture than going 240 cm and have a crappy picture.

Probably will go somewhere betwhen 200 -220 cm myself.

How big we are going, how much more importent will the source be.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Mike U. now ya stepped in it :D

Personally I think if I had a white screen and needed it darker I could just slip on the RayBans,... but if I had a gray screen and wanted it brighter I don't think turning on the florescent lights would help any :D

·
Registered
300 Posts
Mike but still the the blacks will be better with a grey screen and the black are very importent.

Have you seen/own a crt projector? if you have then you should know what i´m taking about, I you havn´t I undestands your point.

But hc mat could be to much, but the hcmw in a totaly light control room would be great.

The thing you say about celling mount and table mount I fully agree whith, but white screens also have the same problem, depending of what screen you choose, some is made for tabel mount and some is made for celling mounts, it´s not grey or white screens thing!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Blitzkreig just saw you had a high power screen, hopp I didn´t stepp on your toe, wasn´t my intention if I did.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Patric, opinion is opinion. My opinion is no more valid than someone who has a different one... so you couldn't possibly injure my toe if I didn't stick it out there to be stepped on :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.