AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been learning about & playing with convergence on my 56H80. I was wondering how much of a difference there is in the overall picture quality if I were to purchase the overlay grids? Is the added cost & time worth it?

I have read that the grids should be different between the HD full mode & standard full mode. Is that correct? I do feed the HD mode a 1080i signal but still seem to see the same standard full grid. Any advise?

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Using grid overlays make it much easier to get convergence & geometry as precise as possible.

Don't buy those pricey pre-made grids; make your own. Have a look here . You can buy acetate (clear plastic) sheets at art supply stores & get different colored markers to make your own grids using Tosh service manual measurements.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I found it much easier (and cheaper) to use the combination of a plumb bob (for vertical) and a long piece of string that goes half way around the tv tied to rubber bands to create a flexible string line.

These two devices coupled with a ruler/tape measure will allow you to get pretty damn good geometry and you don't have to install/deinstall a grid.

--Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.