AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wouldn't it be nice if everyone kept all the AE-100 comments on ONE thread? Wow what a novel idea! Do we really need 150 different threads to talk about the same machine and the same thoughts??

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I disagree....much of what has been said would have been unspoken because people would realize that it has been said...over...and...over...again. And what is wrong with a long thread? They are paged and it would be a one stop shop for people interested in the Panny. No different then them having to look over 150 different threads to find what they want.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
AJ: I think you make a good point, of course it applies to more than just the AE100 (there are 3 75U threads on the main page as I post this). I've found the search function very helpful but many of the new users aren't aware or choose not to use it. The problem you mention though is endemic to all the forums I visit. Some have tried to deal with it by having active administrators who designate a thread "the official xxx thread" and close duplicate threads. While another board has forums dedicated to specific projectors. I kind of like latter approach. A further refinement may be to have standard threads, within each projector forum, similar to those below. Just my 2 cents (unsure of current value against the yen).

ProjectorName - Tweaking and usage tips

ProjectorName - Technical specifications

ProjectorName - Comparisons to other projectors

ProjectorName - Problems with this projector

ProjectorName - Watching and Enjoying

ProjectorName - Buying experiences

·
Registered
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AJ Abrams

And what is wrong with a long thread? They are paged and it would be a one stop shop for people interested in the Panny. No different then them having to look over 150 different threads to find what they want.
Completely different. You obviously do not use this forum all that much if you think finding information in a single, long thread is just as easy as finding information in different threads with descriptive subject lines.

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mikef, I obviously don't use this thread? Too funny. Shows character to attack anothers thoughts and opinion instead of just stating that you disagree and have a different view. I've looked for info both ways and IMO find a long thread much easier to scan than going back and forth between multiple (over 100) threads. Please see David James' common sense approach.

·
Registered
571 Posts
To each his own... I vote for individual threads (a la David James') recommendations. Getting people to conform to this method of subject lines won't be an easy task, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I have to agree that here recently, the multiple AE100 threads have gotten a bit out of hand. On many of these, I'll post a link to a thread already discussing the topic, and usually this is enough to terminate the traffic in the thread and let it slip ignomonously to the next page.

Following Davids suggestion, while it's probably not practical for this forum, as it takes a lot of commitment and time, I too have been a member of forums where the moderators take a much more terse and active approach. Duplicate threads are quickly shutdown with links to the relative threads. "The ONE and ONLY OFFICIAL" threads are in abudance, and go a long way to curb the propagation of similar posts.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The problem with really long threads is that the search engine does not show you what page of the thread your search string is on. It's frustrating when I'm searching for something, then I click on the thread, and I see it's 10+ pages long. Then I have to click on each page one by one and manually search for what I'm looking for. If there's an easier way that I'm missing, someone PLEASE tell me how its done.

As a general comment, I'd say great caution must be used when trying to think of ways to improve a message board. I've seen more than one forum go right down the tubes because measures meant to "improve" something ended up destroying that precious intangible quality that makes a forum dynamic and interesting.

The AE100 threads will die down soon enough. I say just let it naturally work itself out.

Dave

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave W
The problem with really long threads is that the search engine does not show you what page of the thread your search string is on. It's frustrating when I'm searching for something, then I click on the thread, and I see it's 10+ pages long. Then I have to click on each page one by one and manually search for what I'm looking for. If there's an easier way that I'm missing, someone PLEASE tell me how its done.

Dave
Dave,

Click "View as Posts" instead of "View Thread" when you do your search. Then a preview of the post that matches your criteria will be displayed, instead of just the thread header. Doesn't matter if the thread is 10 pages or 1, in that case.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave W
My point exactly.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I don't own one but am quite interested in the AE100. I think it having multiple threads here is just a sign of how popular and what a good deal it is. If you don't want to read about the AE100, skip the thread! Its got a subject for a reason :)

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Namlemez, It's not about the AE-100 itself. It's a comment about popular machines and finding information regarding them without having to wade through the same comments over and over again. A better system seems possible

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Scarbrough
Isn't THIS yet another thread on the AE100?

As if AJ didn't dislike me enough already...LOL :p
Not really. I mean, sure, the poster of this thread has a complaint and is using the AE100 posters/repliers as a good example, but the nature of the problem, he sees, is that of unwanted redundancy that clouds the visitor's ease of use to this particular sub-forum.

Another suggestion would be to take an example of another forum in a similar subject arena as AVS. They breakdown the major forum section by manufacturer. Thus, those interested in projector 'a100' by manufacturer A is never going to cloud the visitor looking at threads by manufacturer B.

Although there are many, many, projector manufacturers out there, some can be grouped together by either near-similar technologies (DLP vs. LCOS vs. LCD vs. D-ILA etc.), by manufacturer (Marantz vs. Sharp, vs. SIM2 vs. DWIN vs. JVC etc.), or by offering a 'filter' feature that allows threads to be ignored or threads containing keywords in the subject to be filtered out.

There are many approaches, here, but some of us have learned to live with it. I'm actually happy to see many people group together. Of course, much can be conditioned by forcing some to compose a FAQ for a given product, too. Maybe what we need is a volunteer to compose FAQs for popular projectors and require members to 'read' the FAQ before posting a question already answered in a FAQ.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Grouping by pj or by manufacturer, though, would make posts or replies like Projector A vs. Projector B very difficult to categorize. And possibly difficult to find.

I LIKE scrolling through the threads. I often find myself reading threads about pj's I might not be interested in just to see what my favorite members are saying. Or just to learn more about the latest stuff.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.