AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sonus Faber Basement Theater

12.23.2018 - 7.2.4 with Front Wides ATMOS - DTS:X

Here is my first dedicated room guys. Build started in 2013 and upgraded equipment over time. I will post pictures of the development soon when I have more time!

EQUIPMENT

Dedicated Home Theater

Display
JVC D-ILA RS-46
Elunevision 128" 1.4 16:9

Processors/Amplification
Marantz SR7010
Monolith 7X
Velodyne SMS-1
iNuke 6000DSP
Furman Elite 15

Players
Nvidia Shield TV Pro
WDTV
PS4
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Control4 HC-800

Speakers
Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 - FRONTS LR
Sonus Faber Venere Center - CC
Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 - FRONT WIDES
Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 - SURROUNDS
Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) - TF/TR

Subwoofers
Dayton Reference RSS460 18" (2)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
reserved

·
Registered
320 Posts
Subbed. Great room! What are your room dimensions? My space looks very similar but the area under the soffit is open. I've been trying to plan building a wall there to close off the theater but I can't decide where under the soffit to build it. It looks like you opted to put it under the side that gives you more width in the theater?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Subbed. Great room! What are your room dimensions? My space looks very similar but the area under the soffit is open. I've been trying to plan building a wall there to close off the theater but I can't decide where under the soffit to build it. It looks like you opted to put it under the side that gives you more width in the theater?
Thanks Pal!

The room dimensions are 14'x17', the screen being on the short side. I did not have much choice to put the wall there since a stair case is on the other side of it. I find the room big enough for now, but in a future house, I would like to have at least more depth to have better bass response (i.e.: 14'x27') and ideally more width to fit 2 or 3 4-seats rows.

Do you have a floor plan of your room (area)?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks Pal!

The room dimensions are 14'x17', the screen being on the short side. I did not have much choice to put the wall there since a stair case is on the other side of it. I find the room big enough for now, but in a future house, I would like to have at least more depth to have better bass response (i.e.: 14'x27') and ideally more width to fit 2 or 3 4-seats rows.

Do you have a floor plan of your room (area)?
As I said my room is still in an open basement, but I have display cabinets that create a fake wall, with velvet hanging on and under the soffit down the cabinets. The room is 15x17 but I'm considering building a wall flush with the inside of the soffit, level with it, so that room would be exactly the same as yours 14X27. I've also considered moving the back wall to make the room 20 deep, but that'll involve much more work obviously. Not sure it's worth it because I so rarely have enough guests to justify another row of recliners.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reactions: uniquepattern

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! They are so much fun!
So where abouts in Canada are you if you don't mind my asking? I'm in Ontario, an hour or so north of Toronto...
I am in the Montreal (QC) area ;)

Reactions: uniquepattern

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's a great looking theater room! Is there a reason you have a SMS-1 and an inuke dsp? I'm curious as I have a SMS-1 and am in the process of building DIY subs with an inuke dsp. I was going to get rid of the SMS-1 because I thought if I use the inuke to equalize the subs that the SMS-1 would be redundant. Just wondering if your experience has taught you otherwise. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
That's a great looking theater room! Is there a reason you have a SMS-1 and an inuke dsp? I'm curious as I have a SMS-1 and am in the process of building DIY subs with an inuke dsp. I was going to get rid of the SMS-1 because I thought if I use the inuke to equalize the subs that the SMS-1 would be redundant. Just wondering if your experience has taught you otherwise. Thanks!
Thank you!

About the SMS-1, good question. First of all, it acts as a RCA to XLR converter. Secondly, if you go ported and want to add an HPF, the iNuke DSP cannot go lower than 20Hz unlike the SMS-1. Finally, I still use it for quick room measurements. It's not the most accurate (1/6th octave smoothing) but the fact that it is in Real Time is practical sometimes.

Bottom line, I would keep it!

Reactions: biga6761

·
Registered
941 Posts
Thank you!

About the SMS-1, good question. First of all, it acts as a RCA to XLR converter. Secondly, if you go ported and want to add an HPF, the iNuke DSP cannot go lower than 20Hz unlike the SMS-1. Finally, I still use it for quick room measurements. It's not the most accurate (1/6th octave smoothing) but the fact that it is in Real Time is practical sometimes.

Bottom line, I would keep it!
Nice Room !

...There is actually a way around to getting Inuke DSP to a Lower than 20HZ Crossover !

Funny how are speaker setups look similar !

White subs will be going in back of room replaced by black.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice Room !

...There is actually a way around to getting Inuke DSP to a Lower than 20HZ Crossover !

Funny how are speaker setups look similar !

White subs will be going in back of room replaced by black.
Good to hear from you! What subs do you have? What speakers?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
...Anytime Bud.
Excellent, maybe next week if it works out for you.

Excellent gear and a great, acoustically treated room to put it in.
Doing it right the first time around!
Very nice sir.
Thank you, much appreciated! I guess the next step is AT screen with JBL 4722N array :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts