AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inserted a Cable/VCR Ground Breaker Feed-Thru Surge Protector (model XA-63400) right before my Motorola DCT5100 (Comcast cable in Union, NJ). This prevented the ground loop problem I was having.

However, when I try to select the ABC HDTV channel, all I get is a message saying "Please wait this channel will be available shortly". I still receive NBC and PBS HDTV, but the only way to get ABC is to remove the ground breaker.

Is there something about ABC's 720P signal that mean I need to find a different solution? Any advise or links to ground breakers would be greatly appreciated.

Guess I'm watching Alias tonight accompanied by a nice hum...

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The channel being used for the HD ABC feed may be at a frequency high enough that the ground isolator is attenuating it. A higher-quality isolator might help -- or it might not.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You can usually eliminate the hum by using the optical connector. No shield on the wire = no ground loop = no hum.

Hopefully you won't get the ground loop through your video connections.

I've been driven crazy by this before.

I think the time to upgrade your audio has arrived :).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ground breakers are a bad idea from a safety standpoint. You need to figure out where the noise is coming from and eliminate it from your ground line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.