Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm getting ghosting on my TV from some kind of ground interference. I had this problem in the past (lived in an apt.) and the only fix I found was plugging in the powerstip/conditioner without a ground plug. I tried this and it does eliminate the problem. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good conditioner that actually resolves this kind of problem. So, I can have it grounded properly. I know Monster strips don't clean up the problem.

Also, I cleaned up the ghosting except for the pass through s-video from my DirecTV into my TiVo to the s-video on the TV. If I do direct from the DirecTV to the TV its fine. If I do direct from the TiVo to the TV its fine. But if I want to watch DirecTV through the TiVo. I get a light ghosting bar right down the center of the set. Its rather annoying. Even though you don't see it during shows. But as soon as it fades to commercial I notice it every time. I'm also concerned about burn in. Anyone have any ideas how I might resolve this issue as well.

Thanks

besessen

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the ground on your satellite dish? Ground problems occur when components are grounded at different locations.

·
Registered
114 Posts
A cableTV connection anywhere in your system can cause a ground loop, which usually manifests itself as faint vertical bars that roll thru the picture.

Even an outside antenna grounded to a different point than your LSD can cause a ground loop.

You can isolate the cable or antenna ground by using a pair of 75/300 baluns back to back... get one of the push on ones with screw terminals and one with the 300 ohm twinlead coming out and connect em... note that you will lose some of your signal, if this gets rid of your ground loop, you'll have to decide which is less annoying - rolling bars or snow http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Some equipment foolishly comes with a grounding plug that can cause problems. Try using a 2 prong to 3 prong adapter instead of breaking off the ground prong.

Good luck!

Dave

[This message has been edited by dave69 (edited 07-18-2001).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glenn_L do you mean the ground directly off the dish?

Actually, the vertical bar is only 1 and its stationary right in the center of the screen. Use to be on the right side in a few inches. I did use a 3-prong to 2-prong converter. I'll give those baluns a try and see if that helps at all. thanks for the info.

Glenn_L yeah, at my old apt. I use to get a really bad ground loop hum. Moving all the equipment to 2 prong solved the problem.

-besessen

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Ground loops can also be in the form of audio hum. A few years ago I had hooked up the audio out on my PC to my stereo/theater system. There was a low hum when the volume was turned up. After a lot of trial and error, I found the source to be the cable TV coax. Once I isolated the cable everything was fine.

-Glenn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.