AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my situation:

New HR21 HD D*receiver installed with new rg6 run to it from LNB5 dish.

The installer stated he grounded the dish and the rg6 thin ground wire was not needed for anything after the switch. Not sure where or how he grounded the dish.

(He did not do a second grounding as seems to be suggested in some forums after the switch with the thin rg6 grounding wire).

The rg6 thin ground wire was actually stripped off the last few feet in order to fit the rg6 coax cable through some wall holes. It is intact the rest of the way

Anyway-system works fine UNTIL I use the digital coax out from the HR21 HD-DVR receiver and connect that to my Denon HT receiver.

Two questions:

1) Would it be safe to also connect the RG6 thin ground wire to a cold water pipe that is next to where it enters the house?

2) Is there an after market device that will fix this that I can connect the coax cables to before they enter the HD-DVR HR21 receiver?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKDog /forum/post/12886578

Here is my situation:

New HR21 HD D*receiver installed with new rg6 run to it from LNB5 dish.

The installer stated he grounded the dish and the rg6 thin ground wire was not needed for anything after the switch. Not sure where or how he grounded the dish.

(He did not do a second grounding as seems to be suggested in some forums after the switch with the thin rg6 grounding wire).

The rg6 thin ground wire was actually stripped off the last few feet in order to fit the rg6 coax cable through some wall holes. It is intact the rest of the way

Anyway-system works fine UNTIL I use the digital coax out from the HR21 HD-DVR receiver and connect that to my Denon HT receiver.

Two questions:

1) Would it be safe to also connect the RG6 thin ground wire to a cold water pipe that is next to where it enters the house?

2) Is there an after market device that will fix this that I can connect the coax cables to before they enter the HD-DVR HR21 receiver?

Thanks for any input.

This is a serious subject and you really need to hire a licensed electrician. In the course of properly grounding my satellite system with a licensed electrician, we discovered that the main electrical entrance to the house was grounded on a pole at the road side! This met the requirements of the NEC when the underground service was installed in 1985. It is no longer considered appropriate and was changed to reflect current code provisions.

The satellite system should be grounded with a grounding block tied to the main entrance ground. One reference on the subject can be found here http://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarch...s~20020303.htm You do not want multiple grounding points unless they are all bonded together and connected to the main entrance ground.

If that is accomplished, you should not have a problem. The direct answer to your second question is that there are devices made to eliminate ground loop hum. But, the best advice is to be sure your house and sat system are properly grounded in the first place.

Dana

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One can only guess how the electrical grounding was and is done.

House built in 1958.

There has been additional electrical work and new lines added at various times.

I am quite sure there was no grounding block tied into main service entrance.

I did try the optical out from the HR21 instead of the digital coax out per a suggestion and the hum is gone for now.

I will be setting up my new plasma tomorrow.

Will see how everything plays together then.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I was going to recommend you use the optical audio output since that should certainly stop the hum. However you really need to solve the ground loop problem. There should be a grounding block where the sat cables enter your house and that should be tied to the grounding rod where the electrical system enters the house.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit /forum/post/12902835

I was going to recommend you use the optical audio output since that should certainly stop the hum. However you really need to solve the ground loop problem. There should be a grounding block where the sat cables enter your house and that should be tied to the grounding rod where the electrical system enters the house.

Amen. The ground loop hum is a symptom of a bigger, more serious problem.

Dana

1 - 5 of 5 Posts