AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first post to the forum. As with many people (I would bet), I am having a grounding problem with my digital cable service (Time Warner). After extensive research, I purchased Jensen Transformers VRD-1FF Cable TV Ground Loop Isolator. The hum is gone; however, some of the channels do not come through. In speaking with Jensen, it seems that they have had problems with Time Warner Cable NYC (i'm in Brooklyn) futzing around with the frequencies of certain channels, thusly placing them out of the mandated range. I was curious if anyone has experienced similar problems and what might be some possible solutions.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just found this on ebay (a Passive Cable Ground Loop Isolator Hum / Noise Filter )

They claim that it has none of the filtering / spiking problems of the others.

I have only ordered it today.

I will provide feedback when I recieve it.

I am also in Brooklyn and on Time Warner cable.

I have also been advised to attempt connecting house ground to the antena ground via a very cheap radio shaek adapter

·
Registered
609 Posts
Take a look at this thread if you have not done so already. Some good info in there.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Have you tried simply running a separate wire from the metal case on your cable box to the ground connection or chassis of your receiver?

Many times that is all that is needed to "reroute" the ground noise in the case of a ground loop or to bring all the grounds to the same potential in the case of a floating ground.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Joey,

You might want to contact TimeWarner and have them come test your building. I had a similar issue with Comcast, and after many calls and visits, the finally came in and properly ground the cable junction box that fed out to all of the units in our building. The difference was immediate and cleaned up about 95% of the loop/hum.

I still keep a ground loop isolator on my tv to help eliminate the 5% that's still "visible", but I believe it is the cables companies responsibility to have their hardware properly grounded in the building. If you can get them to solve the hum/loop issue, you'd most likely be able to get rid of your isolator and enjoy all of your subscribed channels.

-JR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.