AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize ahead of time for the somewhat basic question; I have run every search on the forum, but I am legitimately confused and wondered if I could get a quick answer here....

Here's my current setup before adding receiver, etc. - SA 8000HD set top box connected to display via component cables. Both the STB and display running through the same surge protector. I am getting scrolling diagonal lines on nearly any channel, SD or HD. I tested an upconverting DVD player using the same power outlet, component cables, and input to the display. No diagonal lines, no hum bars, nothing - perfect picture.

So, I think this is a ground loop issue. Here's my issue - even when I disconnect the coax from the STB, the diagonal, hum bars remain. Obviously, when I disconnect the component cables to the display, we're good again - no input to the display.

Is the problem at the coax level or the component level? Will a Jensen Cable RF Video Isolator work in this instance, or do I need a video isolator that runs through the component cables? I know this is probably easily answered, but I am clearly not an A/V expert and I've searched this forum in vain, unfortunately.

Any ideas here?

·
Registered
204 Posts
"Horizontal scrolling lines" are due to ground loop. "Diagonal Scrolling Lines" are due to radiated electrcial interference. But since your stb is the only component being affected then there is something wrong with it - try a new stb.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.