AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hooked up my KEF PSW3500 I received from FedEx today. As others have complained, it has a wicked ground loop buzz. If I hook up my Paradigm DSP3100 to the exact same cable and outlet, no buzz once so ever. Are some subs more suseptable to to the buzz than others? If so, I hate to say the KEF is going back to Vann's this coming Friday.

This is the only time ever that I have experienced the buzz with any of my subs. Pity, the PSW3500 sounds much better than the Paradigm and its not even broken in yet. Stupid question: Is it a dumb idea to unhook the ground wire from the outlet to fix the problem? If so, I may be looking towards a SB12 plus or VTF-2.

Any help you guys could give would be great.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The little Paradigm actually has better low end extension than the KEF so I am a little surprised you feel the KEF is better sounding. Are you sure it just isn't the fact it plays a little louder?

I hope you have tried to listen to both subs calibrated equally as the louder of the 2 will always be felt as better. Another point would be you are comparing a 12" driver to a 10" driver, I have always felt a 12" driver just feels better as it moves more air, but I digress.

Now to your question, before you send back the sub try to plug into a different outlet on a completly different circuit, say with an outdoor extension cord in another room, as the circuits in the same room could potentially be on the same run. You could try a ground loop isolator or cheater plug to isolate the ground from the sub, as opposed to removeing the ground wire on the socket. My SVS doesn't even have a ground lug on it's power cord, so the lack of ground shouldn't be a huge issue.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. The Paradigm is certainly no slouch, but my room is pretty big and like yourself like the "feel" of the 12". The KEF isn't knocking my socks off at this point. I should have stuck with my original plan of getting the damn VTF-2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewash /forum/post/15429012

The little Paradigm actually has better low end extension than the KEF so I am a little surprised you feel the KEF is better sounding. Are you sure it just isn't the fact it plays a little louder?

I hope you have tried to listen to both subs calibrated equally as the louder of the 2 will always be felt as better. Another point would be you are comparing a 12" driver to a 10" driver, I have always felt a 12" driver just feels better as it moves more air, but I digress.

Now to your question, before you send back the sub try to plug into a different outlet on a completly different circuit, say with an outdoor extension cord in another room, as the circuits in the same room could potentially be on the same run. You could try a ground loop isolator or cheater plug to isolate the ground from the sub, as opposed to removeing the ground wire on the socket. My SVS doesn't even have a ground lug on it's power cord, so the lack of ground shouldn't be a huge issue.

·
Registered
110 Posts
bigdrunk, do you have a cable hooked into you system? If so disconnect the cable and see if the hum goes away. If it does then your cable ground is causing the hum. You can get rid of the bad ground by getting a cable insulator. I use this one and it eliminated all the hum. http://www.hollandelectronics.com/ca...Cable-Isolator You can get it from http://www.techtoolsupply.com/browse...on-Filter.HTML for $12.99. Insert the isolator before any equipment connection. I hope you get you problem solved.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 /forum/post/15429025

i have loop hum when i connect comcast box to receiver. havent fixed it, not the greatest of issues in my life. but still it is irratating. someday....

I had the same problem. Solved with a Mondial Magic isolater. Cost me $50 used, worked perfect.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the additional replies. I have done a ton of reading on the subject since I first posted here. I discovered that it is indeed my cable which is causing the problem. Thanks for the link to the isolation filter. After watching a few movies on the KEF sub, I am thinking I may end up not keeping it anyway. The PSW3500 leaves a little to be desired in filling my large room with bass. I guess the KEF is more a nice piece of furniture than serious subwoofer (it does look incredible and blends nicely with my other furniture). If HSU is open today, I may make the 1 hour drive North to pick up a walnut finish VTF2.

Thanks to you guys, I learned a bunch in the last couple days.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Field trip to HSU was sucessfull today. The rosewood VTF2 is leaps and bounds better than all the subs I have had up to this point. Anyone interested in a couple month old Paradigm DSP3100?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.