AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot of information about ground looping, and a lot of the solutions seem great. One problem I'm noticing is that a lot of the solutions, like using one of these( http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?AID=1457539&PID=440939&Partnumber=180-075+&DID=7 ), might not work with an HDTV or Digital Cable feed.

I have a low frequency hum in my speakers and bands of discoloration travelling up my LCD TV (Samsung LN40A750). I unplugged my subwoofer and there was no change. I unplugged the coax cable going into my cable box and it stopped. This cable comes in from the wall and goes through a splitter, one side goes to a cable model and one side to the cable box. I unplugged the coax going into my modem and the hum was still there. I'm 99% sure the problem lies in the cable box.

I'm only on a digital cable feed, but I'm about to upgrade to the HD TV. What solutions do I have that won't effect this or my internet connection coming in. Also, should I place such an in-line solution like the isolation transformer before or after the splitter?

Thanks for all the help. I checked to see if this specific of a question was already asked but I didn't see anything. If I missed it I'm terribly sorry and you can direct me to any posts that I may have missed.

cheers!

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Have you verified your cable system and home electrical system is properly grounded? The best fix would be to remove the source of the problem.

·
Registered
690 Posts
That isolator will work fine with HD. It claims to work from 54Mhz to 1Ghz, which means it's no good for satellite and it won't work on your cable modem (which you've indicated is not a problem), but HD cable uses the same frequencies as ordinary cable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 /forum/post/0

Have you verified your cable system and home electrical system is properly grounded? The best fix would be to remove the source of the problem.

I live in an apartment, so I don't really have control over the electrical system. Everything I have hooked up is properly connected. As for the apartment complex, there is no telling...I'm sure it's held together with paperclips and bandaids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler /forum/post/0

That isolator will work fine with HD. It claims to work from 54Mhz to 1Ghz, which means it's no good for satellite and it won't work on your cable modem (which you've indicated is not a problem), but HD cable uses the same frequencies as ordinary cable.

Thanks! I'll go ahead and order one and hopefully it will solve my issues.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
The Holland CCI-1 isolator is cheap and is rated for use from 5 to 1,500 MHz. Cable set-top tuner boxes often send their upstream signals at around 30 MHz or lower.

FWIW, when I have previously checked the upper end of the pass band for various ground loop isolators that were rated to 1GHz, they all worked well at 2 GHz. The problem in using them in most satellite applications is that they block the 13/18volt, 22 KHz tone and 2.3 MHz control signals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike /forum/post/15479564

The Holland CCI-1 isolator is cheap and is rated for use from 5 to 1,500 MHz. Cable set-top tuner boxes often send their upstream signals at around 30 MHz or lower.

FWIW, when I have previously checked the upper end of the pass band for various ground loop isolators that were rater to 1GHz, they all worked well at 2 GHz. The problem in using them in most satellite applications is that they block the 13/18volt, 22 KHz tone and 2.3 MHz control signals.

I bought the one i mentioned in a previous post. Got it...and it worked for getting rid of the hum. Only down side is that when I'm using it, some of my channels don't come in...I just get a black screen.

Will the Holland CCI-1 work with digital cable/HD cable?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokx /forum/post/15575920

I bought the one i mentioned in a previous post. Got it...and it worked for getting rid of the hum. Only down side is that when I'm using it, some of my channels don't come in...I just get a black screen.

Will the Holland CCI-1 work with digital cable/HD cable?

The CCI-1 does work with HD. So does the CISP , which is the CCI-1 with spike protection (CCI-1 plus SA-1F).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts