AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question on grounding and hope some of you guys can answer me. Right now I have copper grounding wire running from the dish straight to the ground. However, I read somewhere that you must also ground the RG6 cables. Right now I have RG6 running from the multiplexer on the dish straight to the receiver. RG6 from Wingard GS2000 straight to the amp and to the receiver also. Is it necessary to cut these 2 cables into 2 and put a ground block in between and ground it? If so, will the signal deteriorate?

·
Registered
362 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Without having to click all of these links (you should read them, though, there's good information there), the answer is "yes", you should ground these separately. I bought a Radio Shack dual grounding block, so I have both my antenna and my dish lines coming into the block right where the lines enter the house, and the I've run a ground wire from the block around to the service panel of my house. It's a pain in the neck. The main thing is to have the antenna/dish grounded for protection against a lightning strike. Grounding the RG6 itself is to prevent ground loops that could potentially cause damage to your equipment.

As for signal strength, theoretically it shouldn't reduce the signal strength. I did a bunch of things at the same time, so I can't confirm one way or the other from my experience if it helped or hurt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.