AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a company (manufacturer) in China that has some of the Omaura TF11 cases for sale but the minimum purchase quantity is 10. I have gotten a firm price of $246 for the TF-11 with OLED display, this however does not include shipping costs which I am negotiating over; however I wanted to see if there is enough of an interest to even put this together and get a group buy together for this?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I had originally wanted to purchase a TF11, but between uncertain availability from Dell and reports of poor quality and/or damage i was scared off. I am going to guess that whatever items ordered will arrive without any type of warranty or guarantee of function. Or driver support for the OLED display or the IR unit for control. I know that the TF11 looked really good, but I think the community has learned the hard way that this case is a pig-in-a-poke.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabney /forum/post/15553036

I had originally wanted to purchase a TF11, but between uncertain availability from Dell and reports of poor quality and/or damage i was scared off. I am going to guess that whatever items ordered will arrive without any type of warranty or guarantee of function. Or driver support for the OLED display or the IR unit for control. I know that the TF11 looked really good, but I think the community has learned the hard way that this case is a pig-in-a-poke.

That was under Dell, this is not though Dell. As for damage and/or poor quality I will make sure that they are not dammaged or sub par, and I do not see how a case cannot function of course if the OLED's do not function you will be able to return them, however I will test them when I receive them.

Like I said this is NOT though Dell, this is though a completely different source.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Dell just worked as a reseller. The boxes arrived in their warehouse, they processed the order, and out they went. The problem was the manufacture. If I was to guess, I would say that after the fiasco the Chinese manufacture didn't have anyone else to ship their remaining stock to. You should seriously contact Chris Morley about this before sending yours, or anyone elses, hard earned dollars to China.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabney /forum/post/15557029

Dell just worked as a reseller. The boxes arrived in their warehouse, they processed the order, and out they went. The problem was the manufacture. If I was to guess, I would say that after the fiasco the Chinese manufacture didn't have anyone else to ship their remaining stock to. You should seriously contact Chris Morley about this before sending yours, or anyone elses, hard earned dollars to China.

I already have, and I know, but the story with Dell, was that they were receiving them from Omaura China, which these cases are not coming from. They are coming from one of the manufactures in China that got stuck with stock that Omaura did not buy, thus are selling them. I am dealing with a different group of people than Chris was. Also, the point of this thread was to gauge interest, I am obviously going to make sure that we are getting what we pay for and not dented crushed refurb units. I made this thread to see if I should even continue to pursue this idea if anyone else would be interested, I am not taking any money yet, like I said I haven't gotten a final price on shipping so I can't set a final price on each case.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Maybe I was lucky but I bought this case through Dell and love it. Very few cases will hold 6 hard drives and also look like a nice piece of HT gear. Nothing was wrong with my particular case (though I have read the other reports) other than back of the case being a cm or so off which made screwing in add-in cards a little difficult. Since this is a horizontal case that really didn't matter anyway.

If Striker169 can setup some sort of return policy for anything damaged I say go for it. That is not a bad price with the OLED being included and you can purchase the IR Kit through other vendors.

Only thing I recommend is swapping out the stock fans which is simple.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Their POS dont buy one, If anyone really wants one Ill sell them mine... I have all the parts but never bothered to fix the DVD drive door, the spring popped off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgriffin /forum/post/15557535

Maybe I was lucky but I bought this case through Dell and love it. Very few cases will hold 6 hard drives and also look like a nice piece of HT gear. Nothing was wrong with my particular case (though I have read the other reports) other than back of the case being a cm or so off which made screwing in add-in cards a little difficult. Since this is a horizontal case that really didn't matter anyway.

If Striker169 can setup some sort of return policy for anything damaged I say go for it. That is not a bad price with the OLED being included and you can purchase the IR Kit through other vendors.

Only thing I recommend is swapping out the stock fans which is simple.

I will DEFINTALLY make sure there is some sort of return policy, I will make sure that no one here gets stiffed or sent broken/damaged cases. Like I have said before I am just trying to gauge an interest here to see if this is even worth the effort to continue down this path. I just don't want to buy 10 of these and then be stuck with 10 cases.

·
Registered
379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaLo6 /forum/post/15557864

Their POS dont buy one, If anyone really wants one Ill sell them mine... I have all the parts but never bothered to fix the DVD drive door, the spring popped off.

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, I'm sure that some cases had some problems but it doesn't affect the fact that some worked as intended and look good doing it.

As an owner of one of those cases, I can tell you that it is a well designed and classy case. I've searched high and low for a case that I could live with for a long time and the TF11 was it.

If you're looking to get one of this cases and if everything is as it should be, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgriffin /forum/post/15557535

Very few cases will hold 6 hard drives and also look like a nice piece of HT gear.

The nMedia HTPC 2000 holds 6 hard drives, looks great as a piece of AV gear, and has tons of room inside to allow for a decent CPU cooler (Scythe Mini Ninja).

·
Registered
117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabney /forum/post/15557029

Why on Earth would you contact Chris Morley? He's the one that screwed all us Omaura owners in the first place.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooch /forum/post/15560823

Why on Earth would you contact Chris Morley? He's the one that screwed all us Omaura owners in the first place.

well I did because I wanted to see if we were dealing with the same people/scenario.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Not to jump in the middle here, but I don't think Chris is the one that screwed people. He lost money on the deal along with other investors and customers.

While he may have been the face of Omaura here in the U.S. and therefore assumes some of the blame (rightly or not).

It is some of the folks in China that botched the deal and is the ultimate cause of the pain/difficulties.

While I don't have all the particulars of the transactions, I have dealt and continue to deal with folks in Asia on a regular basis. I am fortunate in that most of my dealings are with honest, reputable companies.

However, I also know (and have seen first hand), some of the unsavory side of things over there.

Take a look at just some of the recent activities in the past few years and you will see that routinely, that corruption and unethical practices take place. Tainted Pet food, tainted toy products, tainted food, lead paint, corrupt regulatory officials, etc.

This is not to say that the other regions don't have similar issues, becuase there are problems everywhere. However, I do believe it is much more prevalent over there than elsewhere. In most other regions, there are consumer protection laws, environmental laws, and just general laws that regulate how businesses can operate and conduct transactions.

China has more of a free for all attitude and therefore, it is easier for unethical people to make off with hard earned money.

Take a look at the scooter industry. Chinese scoots are of questionable quality (though there are good ones out there). Many times, a manufacturer will build a crappy scoot and offer 0 warranty on it. As the reputation of the scoot crashes, they close up shop, manufacturer the same scoot under a different name and start selling. They make their money and the consumer buying the product often gets stiffed. I have seen this several times. Now, you can say buyer beware, but there are times when the scoot never evens starts or is damaged out of the box.

Consumer protection laws can't really do much when the manufacturer is overseas and can close and reopen at will.

The point here is that Chris is not really the one that caused the problem, however as the face of Omaura, he is the one representing the company (including Omaura China). His problem may have been that he and his partners did not select a reputable business partner in China and in the end, that came back and bit him.

Unfortunate as it is, the unethical business practices of those in China is what caused the heartache in my opinion.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jack /forum/post/15562924

Not to jump in the middle here, but I don't think Chris is the one that screwed people. He lost money on the deal along with other investors and customers.

While he may have been the face of Omaura here in the U.S. and therefore assumes some of the blame (rightly or not).

It is some of the folks in China that botched the deal and is the ultimate cause of the pain/difficulties.

While I don't have all the particulars of the transactions, I have dealt and continue to deal with folks in Asia on a regular basis. I am fortunate in that most of my dealings are with honest, reputable companies.

However, I also know (and have seen first hand), some of the unsavory side of things over there.

Take a look at just some of the recent activities in the past few years and you will see that routinely, that corruption and unethical practices take place. Tainted Pet food, tainted toy products, tainted food, lead paint, corrupt regulatory officials, etc.

This is not to say that the other regions don't have similar issues, becuase there are problems everywhere. However, I do believe it is much more prevalent over there than elsewhere. In most other regions, there are consumer protection laws, environmental laws, and just general laws that regulate how businesses can operate and conduct transactions.

China has more of a free for all attitude and therefore, it is easier for unethical people to make off with hard earned money.

Take a look at the scooter industry. Chinese scoots are of questionable quality (though there are good ones out there). Many times, a manufacturer will build a crappy scoot and offer 0 warranty on it. As the reputation of the scoot crashes, they close up shop, manufacturer the same scoot under a different name and start selling. They make their money and the consumer buying the product often gets stiffed. I have seen this several times. Now, you can say buyer beware, but there are times when the scoot never evens starts or is damaged out of the box.

Consumer protection laws can't really do much when the manufacturer is overseas and can close and reopen at will.

The point here is that Chris is not really the one that caused the problem, however as the face of Omaura, he is the one representing the company (including Omaura China). His problem may have been that he and his partners did not select a reputable business partner in China and in the end, that came back and bit him.

Unfortunate as it is, the unethical business practices of those in China is what caused the heartache in my opinion.

That is exactly what happened, it wasn't Chris' fault it was the people that he was dealing with and the fact they flat out did not deliver the cases and when they did, some of them were damaged and they would not do much about them. That is why I am going to make sure that what is being bought it what we are receiving. I am negotiating the shipment to be made with a bonded us customs broker, that will ensure that we got what we ordered and that they won't get paid if we do not.

I did not want this to become a "lets hate on Chris/what happened last time people bought these cases" I simply made this post to see if I am able to get some of these cases defect free if anyone would be interested in purchasing them.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Agreed.

I know Chris and he is an honest, hard working individual. I have done business with him in the past and would do so again. I don't think he would intentionaly decieve or misrepresent anything.

He was operating under the assumption that China would follow through on their actions.

I think he was fed inaccurate information and ended up caught in the middle of an ugly situation. My guess is that any dealings with Asia, he will likely be more cautious. I am sure the people he dealt with represented themselves well, but in the end, it appears they did not follow through on their part of the deal.

I believe the intent of this thread is "Who is interested in a group buy on the chassis?"

Short answer

If interested, respond.

If not, don't.

Pretty simple in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
While I love the cases, I have never been impressed by their prices. Even at $246, I'm not sure I'd be "that" interested.

·
Registered
200 Posts
IMO, $246 is waay too high for a case that is being "dumped" by the manufacturer, the OLED kit notwithstanding. The case was 220.00 without OLED and it seems that at least 50% of the buyers had problems with something broken or missing. How could anyone be sure the cases were undamaged and complete from half a world away? If you got the price WITHOUT OLED to around $160-$175, INCLUDING SHIPPING, then it MIGHT be worth the risk of the money.

It was a great-looking case and was just what I needed, size-wise (less that 15.5" deep) but I never had faith that I could get one that wasn't broken. Good luck, though, in your endeavor.

JN Porter

·
Banned
274 Posts
I had one on order and had to cancel due to no avalibility. If you can verify they are in good shape and function correctly I would be interested. I don't know all the details about the quality proiblems but I know there were some problmes with the dvd doors.

Seems like we should be able to get better discounts if these are surplus stock that they have no reseller for. I would hammer the price down.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnporter /forum/post/15563545

How could anyone be sure the cases were undamaged and complete from half a world away?

It's called a bonded customs broker and freight forwarder they check the merchandise and the manufacturer doesn't get paid until the shipment is verified that it is what it is supposed to be and isnt crushed or damaged in anyway.

Like I have said before, I am just trying to see if there is any interest in these cases at somewhere near that price, I need to get at a minimum of at least 6 people that would be interested before I put forth anymore effort here, I just don't have the use for 10 of these cases so I would need to sell some if I bought 10 from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would be more inclined to deal for a TF8 for obvious reasons, if you where to able to work out a deal (half & half) of mixed cases.

I'm sure the interest of getting one of this cases is reasonably high, despite some reservations. It'll comes down to getting the best deal you can, assurance of delivery and perfect function.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts