AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were to build a home theater piece by piece how would you go about doing it?

I don't have the funds to drop $1000 for a 5.1 all at once.

I currently have a Pioneer Elite VSX 53 (paid $290)

I would like to start out with either 2 bookshelf or towers, honestly I have no preference.

Once I have the those I would add the sub and if needed follow up w/ a center channel and surrounds. I'd rather build my theater over time vs going cheaper and needing to upgrade later.

Now what confuses me is I was able to hear a pair of Linn bookshelf speakers and couldn't believe how just 2 speakers sounded so amazing. But they were out of my price range.

I want to buy speakers on sale, I'm patient and don't see a need to pay full price.

What brand could I target to start building my home theater. Is it acceptable to build a theater this way?

Currently I have $300 saved up but if I should save some more I can.

Room size is 23L x 16W

TV/Movies 90%

Music 10%

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Sound like a good plan. Start with a pair of bookshelves. Then a sub. Then the center and surrounds. And actually, you could always move your first pair of bookshelves to surrounds. So whatever you buy first doesn't even up having to be your final left/right mains. However, your left,right, and center do need to timbre match, which generally means buying speakers in the same make/model line.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts