AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an ATI 4650 that could play all my hd content on my HTPC until I got my Denon 1912 AVR and it wasn't compatible.

I got an Nvidia GT 430 so I could get video and audio through my AVR. Now I have video and audio through my AVR but I cant play ANY hd content. It stutters like a madman at 60hz, 23hz, and 24hz.

Damned if I do damned if I don't either I don't get surround sound or I don't get hd video. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs

Windows 7 x64 (up to date) using VLC Media player (up to date)

MSI G33M-FI LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel E6550 Core 2 Duo 2.33GHZ

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Evga GeForce GT 430 1 GB DDR3 (current drivers from nvidia)

Denon AVR 1912 + Energy Take 5.1 Classic speakers + HDMI 1.4

Samsung 55" LED TV

·
Registered
967 Posts
Any additional codecs installed or just what is internal to VLC? What is the file type and resolution (720P, 1080P)? Does it occur with all files?

As a test you may want to try MPC-HC, both with its default settings as well as with LavAudio / LAVCUVID / MADVR codecs & renderer.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
If you check Renthex's thread - there is a link to an overclocking program (EVGA I think - but works on all nVidia cards). With this program you could try to turn up the juice a little on your 430. There is also a picture/instructions for the custom nVidia setup (around page 585) you'll need to get the 23.976 frame rate. The default 24hz settings don't provide the best frame rate and will cause some dropped frames.

I don't want to sound like the sales guy for JRiver, but I recently switched to them due to issues I just couldn't get right on my own - and so far everything has worked perfectly. You may want to at least try the (free trial) to see if it fixes your issue. If it does than you will know that it is software/setup related (and not hrdware) and you can then decide to stay with JRiver Media Center or go back and figure it out on your own. Installing the trial does not mess your previous window settings so switching back is painless.

Also your processor is a little weak for MadVR so you definately need the nVidia card so you can run LAV CUVID along with MadVR.

·
Registered
354 Posts
A 430 is plenty capable with playing HD. Did you use driver sweep on the ATI drivers before you installed the nvidia drivers?

·
Registered
3,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray /forum/post/20885064

VLC is not hardware assisted as far as I know. Why run VLC?

It has GPU acceleration, depending on the codec, but it requires you to enable it in the settings because it is in the testing phases and has not been perfected.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just built a HTPC using an ASUS GT430 video card.

I had some issues at first, but they were resolved by

1. Loading the lastest driver from Nvidia.

2. Stop using a cheapo HDMI cable that was causing some dropouts.

I have an onkyo receiver, and sound over HDMI works fine now, as well as video. Haven't tried HD audio yet though.

Randy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A combination of a few of the above remarks has worked. I had conflicting ATI and Nvidia Drivers as well as no hardware acceleration in VLC

My reasoning for VLC is that it plays everything I throw at it without downloading codecs and I can also force a default aspect ratio. So even my Standard def television shows are expanded to 16:9 and take up the full screen. I dont have to tweak every video I just click and go.

It plays dual audio and every sub file for my anime collection as well.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray /forum/post/20885064

VLC is not hardware assisted as far as I know. Why run VLC?

yup, I vote with the VLC stinks. I just got finished watching "source code" in blu-ray on my lowly integrated HD4200 and it played absolutely flawless. You're gt430 is way more powerful than my hd4200 so its a software problem.

·
Registered
354 Posts
VLC is fine. I typically use it to watch my rips. It has less problems than many of the other media players out there.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I must admit it has been a good while since I used VLC and at the time hardward acceleration did not work, even though their were menus to enable it. That was back in the day when Silicon Dust shipped it with the HD Homruns, before QuickTV. So maybe VLC has imprved a lot since then. I will give it the benefit of the doubt.

GT 430s do work well. Installing Nvidia Drivers after ATI and vice versa has caused me a lot of heartburn in the past. Some may recall a recent thread where I had nothing good to say about Radeon drivers. My first GT 430 install was one of those times. I installed a a GT 430 after an ATI 5450 and well the drivers would not coexist, that is even the remnants of the drivers after a cleaner.

Actually no reason they should not coexist. You don't have to worry about removing intel iGPU drivers if you stick an Nvidia GPU in a box. Don't want the Nvidia in the box for some reaaon, pull it out and the intel driver merrily picks up where it left off. Don't count on, swapping back and forth between Nvidia and ATI for testing, yikes! Good idea to have a backup image around somewhere.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.