AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded to a GT430 and Onkyo TX-SR608 on the HTPC. Previously running ATI 4550 using Optical audio out to an older Onkyo AVR. I got it all set up and working with no problems in TMT5, but for whatever reason I keep seeing the following issues in Media Center.
  1. When attempting to setup 5.1 audio in the configure audio option in Windows it for whatever reason continues to play the rear channel audio through the front channel speakers. (ie both front and rear audio come out the fronts) (verified that audio enhancements are disabled)
  2. When attempting to perform the configure audio option in Media Center and selecting 5.1. Upon clicking test it begins repeating the test sound in a loop out a single speaker.
  3. When going to Recorded TV and selecting play on a show it will also begin playing the audio in a loop out a single speaker and then ultimately crash stating it lacks the necessary software to play the video. It recommends a reboot of the system, which doesn't change its behavior.
  4. If I load the same Recorded TV video using Windows Explorer it successfully launches Media Center and plays the video with no audio issues, and it even plays with full 5.1 audio. (puzzling)
  5. When I wake the system, or even just turn on the AVR from an off state, the resolution of the desktop is set to 1024x768x60hz. If I minimize Media Center the system immediately switches to 1920x1080x60hz and I am fine. (not sure what's going on here, easy temporary resolution but annoying)

My HTPC is a Win7 x64 system running Nvidia 260.99 drivers with the following specs:

GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz

MSI N430GT-MD1GD3-OC/LP GeForce GT 430 (Fermi)

If you've seen any of the previous behavior, or even have some ideas on how to resolve I would greatly appreciate the assist.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
you need to use hdmi from the 430 to the Onkyo

in Control Panel | Sound, you should see your TX-SR608

Under its settings, set the speaker configuration to stereo

Aa far as Windows is concerned, a digital signal is stereo until it is decoded by the receiver.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that was indeed the trick mate! Thanks a bunch!! It didn't occur to me that I needed to set a 2ch output to decode a 6ch stream

now I just need to resolve my resolution issue, and figure out how to get bitstream to work in mpc-hc. i've tinkered with ffdshow most of the day yesterday to no avail. it seems to work perfectly from tmt5, just no dice in mpc-hc. and until i get around to getting imon to work in tmt5 i am stuck with mpc-hc for a 10ft interface. :\\

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
If you were to use the Win7codecs (which I also produce/release), you could use Media Center (or Windows Media Player) with no external players such as mpc-hc for all your playback needs and with full audio bitstreaming. Since you have a 64bit operating system, you'd also need to install the x64Components addon.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes. i appreciate the effort and time you've put into your codec pack. however, i had to give up usage of codec packs in the past due to numerous issues. i attempted to use your pack back when i was using my 780g mobo, and now even with this newer htpc. i ran into issues with live tv playback stuttering and carrying on. i also could never get hardware accelerated video to work while viewing with subs. subtitles would immediately kill performance everytime. in the end i found the best solution was to delete/uninstall all codecs and let win7 handle everything native that it could, and use mpc-hc to do all the rest.

now i am delving into a new world with this bitstreaming audio and for the life of me i can't get it to work in anything but tmt5. the AVR never once mentions the codecs being in use when running mpc-hc.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyD /forum/post/19630950

I recently upgraded to a GT430 and Onkyo TX-SR608 on the HTPC. Previously running ATI 4550 using Optical audio out to an older Onkyo AVR. I got it all set up and working with no problems in TMT5, but for whatever reason I keep seeing the following issues in Media Center.
  1. When attempting to setup 5.1 audio in the configure audio option in Windows it for whatever reason continues to play the rear channel audio through the front channel speakers. (ie both front and rear audio come out the fronts) (verified that audio enhancements are disabled)
  2. When attempting to perform the configure audio option in Media Center and selecting 5.1. Upon clicking test it begins repeating the test sound in a loop out a single speaker.
  3. When going to Recorded TV and selecting play on a show it will also begin playing the audio in a loop out a single speaker and then ultimately crash stating it lacks the necessary software to play the video. It recommends a reboot of the system, which doesn't change its behavior.
  4. If I load the same Recorded TV video using Windows Explorer it successfully launches Media Center and plays the video with no audio issues, and it even plays with full 5.1 audio. (puzzling)
  5. When I wake the system, or even just turn on the AVR from an off state, the resolution of the desktop is set to 1024x768x60hz. If I minimize Media Center the system immediately switches to 1920x1080x60hz and I am fine. (not sure what's going on here, easy temporary resolution but annoying)

My HTPC is a Win7 x64 system running Nvidia 260.99 drivers with the following specs:

GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz

MSI N430GT-MD1GD3-OC/LP GeForce GT 430 (Fermi)

If you've seen any of the previous behavior, or even have some ideas on how to resolve I would greatly appreciate the assist.

Thanks!

I just got the T-SR608 but when I try to calibrate it using the AudesseyEQ it gets speaker error. I just happens when it tries to set the back left speaker. I've checked and changed it around and it works fine. I have the back speakers set up wirelessly with ARW20 by Acoustic Research, Im still not comparing but with the previous VSX-1020-K they were both recognized (I returned it since it died only a month after use and bought the TX-SR608).

Has anybody had this issue? Does anybody have an answer?

Thanks!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts