AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the latest EGM magazine that I received today they mention that above all the graphical enhancements, "high-definition TV 720p support has been added, as well as a 16:9 aspect ratio for widescreen televisions".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
848 Posts
Holy cow, I was just typing this up and you beat me to it. :D


Michael M., is there ANY way you think that they could actually have 720p support? The game ran like a pig on the PC--I can't understand how they can support that resolution on a slower platform.


Hey, if they can, I'm first in line. :D :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks obvious to me that they do not want True Crime to be the GTA III killer and they are going back and adding these same features that True Crime will "supposedly" have.

I guess competition between programmers can only be a good thing for the consumer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wakey
I seriously doubt that either of those games will be in 720p.
While I would not bet any $$ on it they are ports of the PC version so anything is possible. The graphics are no better than Enter the Matrix so 720P should be doable. But again I would not place a bet that they bothered.


I'll still pick them up. I played GTA3 on my PC till I got bored sitting at the PC for so long. Will be a pleasure to loaf on the couch playing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
Quote:
I seriously doubt that either of those games will be in 720p.
Why? Any reason or just a gut feeling?

I mean, Soul Calibur 2 is 720p right? But 720p is only 4:3. If you want widescreen you gotta go with 480p.

Having NEVER played GTA3 and looking forward to True Crimes, I hope both games have 720p WIDESCREEN support.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Big L
?

I mean, Soul Calibur 2 is 720p right? But 720p is only 4:3. If you want widescreen you gotta go with 480p.

I hope both games have 720p WIDESCREEN support.:D
By definition, 720p and 1080i/p, as HDTV formats, are both 16:9. 480p can be either 4:3 or 16:9.


bakem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,387 Posts
After SCII was reduced to 4:3 in 720p and ESPN seemed to back off from 720p at the last moment I am betting that the Xbox is short on capabilities for a lot of games to run at true 720p. Developers are trying but I get the feeling the system is holding them back. My opinion is that HDTV console games won't become common until the next generation. But I would like to see more 16x9 games supported in 480p mode - we all know that's possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bakem84
By definition, 720p and 1080i/p, as HDTV formats, are both 16:9. 480p can be either 4:3 or 16:9.
While this is technically true, Soul Calibur II only graphically supports a 4:3 ratio with empty pillarbox bars on the side in 720p mode. In 480p mode, it expands to fill the 16:9 frame.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Croberto
In the latest EGM magazine that I received today they mention that above all the graphical enhancements, "high-definition TV 720p support has been added, as well as a 16:9 aspect ratio for widescreen televisions".
Yeah, so? That sentence holds true for SoulCaliburII also. It supports

720p, and it supports widescreen. That magazine doesn't tell us anything

about supporting both at the same time. I'm very underwhelmed by that

quote.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisFB
After SCII was reduced to 4:3 in 720p and ESPN seemed to back off from 720p at the last moment I am betting that the Xbox is short on capabilities for a lot of games to run at true 720p.
An Xbox is perfectly cabable of producing games in 720p. Heck, I've got a P90 that can produce games in 720p.


The issue is that the vast majority of gamers are just using a 640x480 image. Game designers maximize their games for them. The problem is that if you spend just about ever last computer cycle producing the best d*mn 640x480 game you can, there aren't enough cycles left over to produce the same quality game in 720p.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,735 Posts
I've been trying to get hold of my Rockstar rep this weekend, but the Hurricane has sidelined that for now, but I will ask about it. As soon as I know something I'll let you know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
Of course the PS2 version of both games already support widescreen, so I imagine it's possible.


I'm excited to play these games again on my Xbox.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Salmoneous
An Xbox is perfectly cabable of producing games in 720p. Heck, I've got a P90 that can produce games in 720p.


The issue is that the vast majority of gamers are just using a 640x480 image. Game designers maximize their games for them. The problem is that if you spend just about ever last computer cycle producing the best d*mn 640x480 game you can, there aren't enough cycles left over to produce the same quality game in 720p.
That is correct. :)

If your game supports 720p or 1080i than there is more you could have added to the 480 experience. Unfortunately for HD owners you are too small of the market pie. One notable exception, since the Xbox is signifcantly more powerful than the PS2 and GC, developers can sometimes add some HD support on multiple console platform titles without having to change the game design.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
I would say widescreen is a guarantee for this title. The PC version even has widescreen, which shocked me (and made me build an htpc). the pc version recommends specs pretty close to an xbox. Since the xbox doesn't have the overhead of windows, it should run fine in 1280x720. Remember this game didn't run picture perfect on ps2. There was a lot of frame loss going on, but they made the game play so well, it really didn't matter that much. I don't think we will see this on the xbox.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,787 Posts
certainly possible as the game is nothing special to look at to begin with .

--- Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
If it is anything close to the PC version, it will be awesome. The PC version looks about 20x better than the ps2 version . 1280 x 720p will def look better than 640x240i. A new bonus, according to EGM, is individual fingers. NO MORE MITTEN HANDS!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top