AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So i played a little GTA IV today, However i am having problems getting the visual settings right. My main problem is everything either appears too dark or very washed out (almost like screen glare).

For example, I can't see the cell-phone screen well enough to make out who i am calling/messaged etc. It's just really dark and you cant see any names or options.

When i increase the brightness up to 100% on the TV and within the game everything looks really washed out and hurts your eyes after a while. I've tried setting either to 100% but then it still looks dark and its hard to make out anything (especially at night).

I wondered if anyone had an tips for getting this to look right on a rear projection set? (I have the Hitachi 51F59 TV)

I'm running in 720p, An no matter which setting i choose it hinder's gameplay.

Any recommendations? Other than buying myself a nice new shiny Panny Plasma :)

Thanks! , Muttley

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you have RGB option set to FULL on the PS3, put it on LIMITED. The option is in Display setting on the PS3 XMB. It has something to do with your display's support for that other color space i forgot what its call. Also the game is dark but this should help incase you have it set on FULL. If not then i cant help you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Nismor2 - I will give that a try.

Jeffyjaixx - I tried all that, Like i said either hurts my eyes (washed out) or i cannot see the phone display in the corner at all. Thanks though.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I know my eyes are going bad too but I cant see the cell phone either. I'd rather have the cell take up the whole screen than to strain to see who the fluck Im talking to.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if there is a visual difference if i change from 720p to 1080i?? (Maximum my TV will do).

Going to test that out tonight! Every other game looks great except this. Hmmmmmm

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If you have a rear-projection tv, the next recommendation would be to ensure that no ambient light is coming into the room. Curtains are great ways to ensure that you have the best visual experience possible with any projection-based tv.

-Splints

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I have a rear-projection and recently did that whole changing from RGB Full to RGB Limited. It's literally like night and day. Whereas I couldn't see anything before, now I see everything perfectly. Still need the car headlights to drive at night, but at least I can see when running around at night now.

Definitely try this option out first before playing with the in-game settings.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Strange. I have my PS3 set to RGB full and I can see at night when my headlights are busted out, but poorly. Sort of like it should be. I'll have to try limited, just to see. I don't really want to turn night into day, after all.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have the exact same t.v., and have the same problem. Way too dark, it's like major black crush and doing things in the near-dark is frustrating. And yes, changing brightness and contrast make it look like playing in a nuclear holocaust.

My PS3 is set on RGB "Full", so I'll change it to limited and see what happens. I'm starting to get a little used to it, but if that works I'll be happy.

I also noticed that when playing in 720p, the overscan on my tv cuts off a lot of stuff on the outsides, even like half the cell phone - but forcing the PS3 into 1080i mode brings the edges in more, and looks a little better overall.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thought it was just me but I can't see a thing no matter what I adjust (too dark) will check my RGB settings and try limited (hope its not already on limited).

Bill

·
Registered
381 Posts
ok how can I force gta4 to display 1080p then 720p? I have a 46xbr4 so it's no problem displaying 1080p but I can't do it when it comes games? Is there some setting that I need to go to in order to force it?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I have an XBR5 52" and it is way too dark. Going to try the RGB Limited when I can pry my eyes off of the TV in GTA IV LMAO ... I'm watching the Men's Room and I so want that 7 patty burger lmao.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchamblissII /forum/post/13758163

ok how can I force gta4 to display 1080p then 720p? I have a 46xbr4 so it's no problem displaying 1080p but I can't do it when it comes games? Is there some setting that I need to go to in order to force it?

Uncheck 720p and 1080i and that should force 1080p to be displayed when playing GTA4

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
RGB Full will only work on some TVs properly(plus alot of TVs have a very big problem of displaying full color gamut, that's why a compressed color gamut ie RGB limited works better)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I changed the RGB to limited as suggested, never even knew it was adjustable. So far it seems to have made an improvement in brightness, I'm seeing things much better at night now.

My Hitachi is calibrated quite well also, and every other game and movie I've watched or played on it in the past 18 months is very true to its source.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Not sure what my RGB settings are on my PS3, but on the in game settings, I just bumped the brightness and contrast up 1 notch each, and that seemed to make things easier to see at night.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts