AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any cases like the ZALMAN HD160+ which has room for a 10.5 inches long card?

I would like to build a HTPC (replacing my current desktop) capable of both Blu-ray and games once RV870/GT300 are released.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I got a 4870 to fit in an Antec Fusion 430 (I think your 280 and a 4870 are the same length). Biggest issue was the power connectors - they were what hit the drive cage area. A little creative bending and problem solved
The Antec is steel so sissy aluminum should be able to be made to cooperate much easier.

-Trouble

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got a 260 in a CoolerMaster 590, fits great. They are the same size. Sorry for the big pics.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It would be if i laid it on it's side and put it on my rack, lol, j/k.

Seems to look like it would fit in the second posters link. The Zalman case doesn't seem big enough.

Also these cards need a lot of air going over them. I would really be looking at the temp on the CPU and GPU if you go this route. I know that i have 6 120 on my case and it is good but that's alot of air going over the components.

Again i would go with the one that the second poster linked to.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guezz /forum/post/15472234

Thanks, it's a bit pricey though.

Troubleshooter, your HD 4870 is only 9.5 inches.

Any other alternatives?

Unfortunelty to get what you want spec wise, nothing decent looking is going to be cheap.

Here is a Lian Li, but it isn't cheap either. Its basically a fancied up rack mount server type case,

http://www.lian-li.com.tw/v2/en/prod...26&ss_index=68

If you don't want some fancy looking case you can always use 4U or 5U server rack cases. Some 4U's are very cheap. But you get what you pay for.

rem that since you are putting in a gaming card, that means they gen some heat inside so you will need good airflow/cooling. Also the two cases I mentioned can take reasonably tall CPU coolers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just replaced my gaming/media/HTPC case with this last week:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tone%20lc10b-e

Reason I chose this is because it's relatively inexpensive (compared to other full sized HTPC cases), and I have a GTX 260. It fits perfectly once the middle HDD cage is removed. Looks great, plenty of room to work inside for the most part. Only problem is that the case is large and heavy, compared to most HTPC matx mobos only cases. But if you're going to utilize a long video card with your HTPC, your choices are pretty limited to these large/heavy cases.

Look into Silverstone's HTPC line. They have some nice products there, ranging from low to high end.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a thermaltake Lanbox Lite...and it fits in that if you do a small mod to the aluminum 3.5" bay cage at the back of the mobo. You just have to notch it with a dremmel or a hacksaw..No biggy and the case has an opening to allow excellent airflow in for the bigger cards. I am actually building a HTPC and did a fair amt of research on what fits where and what not...Biggest issue w/ my setup is a low profile after market CPU cooler...Due to the noise of these beastly vid cards i am thinking of doing H2O cooling for the Video card...

·
Registered
153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guezz /forum/post/15472234

Thanks, it's a bit pricey though.

Troubleshooter, your HD 4870 is only 9.5 inches.

Any other alternatives?
Silverstone lc17 is like $120, all you have to do is remove the middle hard drive bracket, and then there will be plenty of room for a large vid card. There is still room for three hard drives in the side bracket, although honestly you shouldn't have that many drives in an HTPC case, anyway.

The LC10 is $105 before MIR and should also work.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I put a gtx260 in an Antec super Lanboy but had difficulty and a little metal bending was necessary (card about 0.20" too long). Later removed (with difficulty) and replaced with an HIS dual slot 4870 that just dropped in. The wires were the easy part as the power connectors lined up with ventilation slots in the drive cage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.