AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always used ATI for my HTPC needs. I am now building a dedicated home theater room and certainly want to be able to game on my HUGE screen. The pure awesome of that is just too much to comprehend!

In that light, I was looking over both ATI and nVidia offerings, and I see the nVidia GTX 560ti as a good card. It is quiet and cool (if you get the ones with good cooling solutions) and does not use a lot of power in idle (which it will be at most of the time). It can also game well at 1200 X 1080, which is where I will be gaming.

So from a gaming standpoint and a temp/noice standpoint, it is good. My questions are about its HTPC ability. How well does nVidia do in the HTPC realm? It seems most people use ATI...but that is because nVidia sucked for so long. But now...I dunno.

Anyone with any pros and cons to using nVidia?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Actually, nVidea has caught up to what ATI has to offer and possibly even surpassed it. The 560Ti can bitstream audio as well ATI can, and if you're a real tweaker of pic quality you can set up madVR as a video renderer and use your nvidea card as a decoder for best possible pic quality. You can't do that with ATI yet. But ATI is no slouch either. I personally have an AMD 6850, but was really on the fence about getting the 560Ti. In the end ATI was cheaper, but that was months ago and now the 560Ti is cheaper as well.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Nvidia does fine for me. Try it, you'll like it. The only reason Nvidia was inferior is because it wouldn't bitstream HD audio, thing of the past. I've had less driver issue's with Nvidia than ATI which I dropped years ago.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet, thanks all. That is what I kind of figured, but I thought I would toss it out there and see if I got any "nVidia cannot do 60Hz while bitstreaming" or anything along those lines. That would suck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.