AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am looking to purchase a NVIDIA GTX980 Graphic Card for my Windows 7 HTPC.
Just to watch 4K/2160p video/movies on a 134" big screen with Sony 4K VPL-1100ES projector.
No gaming.

Due to my HTPC small casing (rack type, not tower type), I have only maximum 10" in length to slot in this GTX980 graphic card.
With full size HDMI port (not small or micro HDMI).

Is there any GTX980 shorter than 10" in length?
Any good price?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Do you need such a good card? A gtx980 is a waste if you're not gaming. And if you're just going to output 4k30, even more so, as you can find lower end cards for half the price that meet your needs. A midrange card is all you really need unless there's a reason you want to spend the extra money... And far easier to find in short form factors.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you need such a good card? A gtx980 is a waste if you're not gaming. And if you're just going to output 4k30, even more so, as you can find lower end cards for half the price that meet your needs. A midrange card is all you really need unless there's a reason you want to spend the extra money... And far easier to find in short form factors.
Your suggestion, Worf?
I am concidering GTX970 too, still overkill?

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
If you're not going to do any gaming, I would think that a 750 would be a better fit for your needs, unless you want to wait for the 950 to come out. The x60, x70, and x80 cards are all designed with gaming in mind and are massive overkill for watching movies.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If the OP is using MadVR, it could make a difference with the extra graphics horsepower. But for now, I don't think any card can do 4K with MadVR at anywhere close to high quality settings. Even a GTX 980 struggles with 4K at medium settings. This is assuming the use of NNEDI3 at 32 neurons or greater. Also, the HDMI 2.0 port is useful for 12 bit color and 4:4:4 chroma.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
But HDMI 2.0 is useless without HDCP 2.2 support - required for 4k movie content on Blu-Ray. Does the 970/980 support HDCP 2.2?

Also, I've discovered HDMI 2.0 are not all alike - a lot of existing 2.0 devices do support 4k60 but only as 4:2:0 mode as they really have 3Gbps ports, not the 6 required for 4:4:4.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yea, I heard that as well, but Nvidia has hinted that future driver updates may correct this, but it is only a rumor at this point. As of right now, maybe a GTX 960 would be the better choice since it has HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 support. I think it is the only card right now that supports both with the current driver set.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The 970 will do 32 Neurons at 720 -> 2160 and 1080 -> 2160. Frame rendering times are around 32 ms. The 960 will only do 16 Neurons (I have tried both).

The results I get on my 84" 4K LED display with a 970 and MadVR sitting 9 feet way is awesome.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you're not going to do any gaming, I would think that a 750 would be a better fit for your needs, unless you want to wait for the 950 to come out. The x60, x70, and x80 cards are all designed with gaming in mind and are massive overkill for watching movies.
Is 750 card supporting full 4K/2160p video resolution?
My HTPC now with R7850 only supports 1080p full HD.

Will 750 give me much better picture quality than R7850 overall?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
You better clarify because my PC at work does 4k30 on HDMI and 4k60 on display port just fine, and it's a 7770 which is slower than your 7850.

Tell us what you're actually doing because all we can do is guess. And yes, I drove 4k30 on a 750ti until I switched because nvidia are evil when trying to drive a 3dtv as they demand you buy a $40 license to use it. Or a $100 kit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the EVGA GTX980 OC something something, I cant remember lol
Honestly its over kill but I do game on my htpc, I game at 1080p ultra settings when available lol.

GTX960 is nice and not uber expensive and can handle what you want and more if you want later on.

If power consumption is your concern, then go with what others are giving advice on.

I think maybe a few 980 in short form are available, I think.
(edit) none are available yet, but they are possibly coming out something this year.

To my knowledge, dont you need to go SLI on a 980 and or 960 or other 4k capable cards to get 4k60?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
There isn't any content that exists at 4k60 AFAIK. When native 4k content truly arrives (no comment on someone talking about random 4k video camera feeds, because who cares) then we will know more. It would seem a 960 may be able to take care of it with a firmware upgrade for hdcp, but sli 980s aren't going to fix that either. When native 4k exists there will probably be an accompanying 950 or later gen budget video playback card as well to take the task

If you mean upscaling, nvidia cards don't perform to well in madvr due to lacking of some unbeknownst hardware circuit that accelerates the Sony Vegas benchmark (performance)

Also for upscaling, madvr doesn't do 60fps either. An alternative solution like SVP would need to reproduce the content at 60fps. I'm not sure it even works at 4k yet or will, also SVP is CPU bound not GPU

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey folks - I'm trying to get a PC set up to do some VR stuff and definitely need something with the horsepower of a GTX980. I didn't see an answer to the OP's question - anyone know of a short factor 980? I've been looking but haven't been able to find something shorter than 11", and I need something below 10" for my PC. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.