AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saw the new Hercules GTXP drivers got released and one of the added features was mapping stuff to 6.1 channels well. This interested me greatly. Up until 5 minutes ago, I was just running the 2.01 drivers under 98SE. I didn't do anything fancy...basically play MP3 audio (either from a Divx movie or MP3 songs.)

Anyway, I always wanted to be able to use the 5.1 feature of my receiver for something besides DD5.1 and DTS. I have a Kenwood VR409 with two digital inputs. One is hooked up to my HTPC for all audio, the other is used by another computer to play just MP3s.

What I wanted to do:

Turn on the virtualization on the card (I only want 5.1 though...) so MP3s and movies over the digital out are picked up by the receiver as 5.1 channels.

No worky

What I think is wrong:

Won't do virtualization over digital outs, only analog.

Anyone have an idea about this?

·
Registered
79 Posts
If I understand you right;

You are correct the digital outputs will not do any virtualization at all. If you are using the setting to send the main output sounds to the digital output you are going to be limited to 2 channel audio. You will need to put it in software mode where it will pass the SPDIF signal from a 5.1 source such as DVD.

You will only get this to work by using analog outputs and letting the Game Theatre do the sound mixing. I have never tried this myself or know how it will sound.

I hope I grasped your question correctly.

Matt

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea that was what I was pretty much hoping was not the truth :) Oh well...I think I'll attempt to hook up the analogs or something then.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
HI Cal,

all I can say is hook up the analog outs if you have them on your receiver. It is a very nice feature. I have multiple posts on the first couple of pages about this exact issue, so I feel guilty posting again.

the upcoming nForce (you know all about that deal:)) will be the only sound processor yet to be able to put anything more than dolby pro logic onto digital outs.

email me if you need help, and I can ask you about tweaking this Gateway 27" monitor I got.

[email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.