AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed non-guaranteed shows have no effect on the recording time available and stay on the system til deleted or it becomes the oldest show and is recorded over.

A guaranteed show reserves that time, and takes away from the time available to record another guaranteed show.

My question:

After I already have my guaranteed show recorded and have watched it, is there a way I can keep this show on the system as if it were a non-guaranteed show so that it wouldn't be deleted til it's the oldest show and at the same time freeing up the time available for guaranteed show recording?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Oh that is an excellent question. You might be a prime candidate for extract_rtv :rolleyes: But if anyone knows another way please chime in here. There's always the "capture buffer: outputs to inputs" manual record trick but that's real time and you'd need the space for them to coexist for the duration of the transfer. If you are that fond of the recording why not extract?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the answer to your question, but you can select a show, and say "preserve this show" and it becomes a separate listing than the normal repeat-recorded show listing; then it won't get recorded over by the next ep of that show.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mossie

My question:

After I already have my guaranteed show recorded and have watched it, is there a way I can keep this show on the system as if it were a non-guaranteed show so that it wouldn't be deleted til it's the oldest show and at the same time freeing up the time available for guaranteed show recording?
If it is the only recording for that theme/show, go to the guide and select "change record options" and change guaranteed from yes to no. This will free up time without deleting the show - the show will get deleted when the system needs the space.

If you have other recordings in the theme/show that you want to keep as guaranteed but want to unguarantee just the one you've seen, then go to the guide and select that recording and select "preserve this episode". This will move it out of the theme/show into its own show in the guide, and you can then select "change record options" to unguarantee it.

As one who frequently has about 8 minutes of available time on a 3060, I can personnaly vouch for this procedure :eek:

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Wow Sue that's a great tip!! Just tried it... don't know why I'd never thought of something so simple but maybe if I'd actually read the instructions or something?? Nah... now I have read the FAQ! But of course I'm always upgrading and extracting so I've never run out of space. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly what I was looking for. Now I have room to setup a guaranteed recording 4 or 5 days down the road without having to immediately delete a show I recorded as guaranteed.

I had been selecting the show instead of the channel, looking for an option of "unguaranteeing" it.

Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think there is an easier way.. Just save that episode of the show. It gets renamed as its own replay channel (I'm not at my machine so I hope I'm getting the terminology right). I've done that (although I'm not sure I've done it with the latest software version).

I'm pretty sure it doesn't get deleted ever then... until you delete it.

Greg

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by greganderson9
I think there is an easier way.. Just save that episode of the show.
I don't think there could be an easier way than Buffalo Sue's way. BTW thanks again Sue for enlightening us with that master tip! I too like mossie was selecting the show instead of the theme/channel so I may have never found that one. Greg I think you are kinda saying the same thing anyway...

To change a completed recording from guaranteed to non-guaranteed (or visa versa):
Quote:
Originally posted by Buffalo Sue
If it is the only recording for that theme/show, go to the guide and select "change record options" and change guaranteed from yes to no. This will free up time without deleting the show - the show will get deleted when the system needs the space.

If you have other recordings in the theme/show that you want to keep as guaranteed but want to unguarantee just the one you've seen, then go to the guide and select that recording and select "preserve this episode". This will move it out of the theme/show into its own show in the guide, and you can then select "change record options" to unguarantee it.
BTW we sure don't need the "capture buffer" trick here and extract still works to archive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.