AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my girlfriend's house and she opened a closet to get something out. I look in the closet and I see a stack of what looks like electronics. I asked about them and she said they were her grandmother's. Upon closer inspection I discover that the following is in the closet:

Krell KAV 250p

Krell KAV 150a

Krell KAV 300r

McIntosh MC2002

I'm trying to determine what I've found. From the back pannels it seems like this a setereo receiver setup and a REALLY good one. Can anyone tell me anything about these components? I'm very currious about them...

·
Banned
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet! Now all I need to do is round up some speakers for her. It is just a stereo receiver right? I have not had a chance to inspect them closely yet, is there a dedicated sub out on it?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Sweet! Now all I need to do is round up some speakers for her.
Not just any speakers. I'd be willing to be the Krell gear could drive some great speakers.

Krell KAV 250p - This is a pre-amplifier.

Krell KAV 150a - This is a 150 watt per channel amplifier.

Krell KAV 300r - This is a receiver that Krell had in their lineup.

McIntosh MC2002 - This is a 200 watt per channel amplifier.

Seems like some pretty good (well great) gear. You could actually build 2 systems off the gear that you've found.

·
Banned
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm confused why there would be a preamp and a receiver in this collection of gear. Am I misunderstanding something?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagnWagon
I'm confused why there would be a preamp and a receiver in this collection of gear. Am I misunderstanding something?
Not sure. Was your girlfriend's grandpa into audio? The gear had to be purchased by someone who knew about audio. Or, at least, they had someone that could recommend some great gear to the grandmother.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Guess what I found in the closet...

..... audiophile skeletons ? ......................................... :)

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Hmmmm. High end electronics, with some redundancy, and no speakers? If I were a suspicious person I would say these maybe, just possibly, could be, somwhat - hot? Did Granny have a record (and I don't mean the vinyl kind)?

·
Registered
237 Posts
That stuffs gotta be worth $200-300. PM me for some cash. ;)

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
ShagnWaon:

I'd bet that the audio set-up was the receiver for radio and the preamp/amp was for records, keeping the electronics separate since the quality of the phono source was better. Or, it could have been systems for different rooms - one for the living room and the other for the study...

Nice find!

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I would start digging up the backyard, maybe the speakers are Buried their? Maybe you will find Jimmy Hoffa and the neckless from the Titanic

·
Banned
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The speakers were given to another family friend I think, I wish I knew what they were cause I bet they were some nice speakers too...

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Whoa, lucky find!!

Looks like someone was serious in getting good audio. Buying separates is not very cheap!

Perhaps the receiver was used as a Pre/pro for the Mc amp and the other 2 krell (the preamp and the amp) was used for a hifi stereo. Many possiblities, but man you really lucked out! Test them out!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.