Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No one probably remembers me but....

after completing a memorable project that was documented all over these parts... I am in the end stages of a brand new HT...This one has taken less than a month compared to the now historic 2 1/2 year basement lowering project...

Watch this space for pics and details.

Hey jdb..wassup bud?

Ted, you out here?

Mark

·
Registered
111 Posts
Glad to see you back... Ive watched you do that crazy project as a lurker since you started.

You made a new one? what happened to the old one?

·
Registered
102 Posts
You got a write-up on that basement lowering project? I'm new here but I'd love some more details. Certianly would help the 7' celings with 6' under the heating ducts I've got in my basement.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Welcome back Mark.

I was telling a friend while working on his HT last weekend about your project. He thought I was pulling his leg.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Markie-Poo,

Yeah, I am still here: for all it matters.

My threads still drop like a stone, The Peabody is still unfinished, and there is a but a few of us old guys in here. But it is nice to be here.

I am on the 3rd wave of "new found interest" in Butt-kickers.

Dennis E. and Ted both let a RC thread go by without comment. That should tell you something, eh?

I recall making my return to the forum after regaining my balance. Painful. Hope yours is easier.

I believe Ted started hanging out with the tech nerds over in tweaking. Someone said they saw him in a Radio Shack but he swore it wasn't him and preceded to flame the "lying swine pig dog", saying the guys HT was the "biggest eye sore on the planet" - or something like that. I don't know I had to go make a sandwich.

Looking deeply into my crystal ball, I see you are well, have bought the new house 2 miles away, and am sometimes weirded out by being able to do anything you want, when you want. (Reading your e mail to me helped too) Congratulations on NOT taking the big bite of construction in the new place. Some photos would be nice but know better then to hold my breath. At your leisure, Buddy.

Ron, snooping out a lead on bargain priced PJ's at Enron's corp. office, was swept up in a raid and has just now made bail. (He was the one to see Ted at RS.)

We just got our fist snow. I went out and made a Snow Angel. But from the upstairs window it looks more like a passing drunkin' bum who had fallen over in the snow and had much difficulty getting back up. jdb

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Mark-

Welcome back!!

cfabe-

Unless you have an amazing level of patience, resilence, mixed in with a bit of craziness and temporary insanity, you probably don't want to even think about trying to lower your basement.

Do a search on Mark's user Id and I'm sure you'll find the basement lowering thread. If nothing else, it sure makes good reading!!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Mark, you rascal!

I was surfing the web at the local Radio shack, asking about Bose when I saw this thread.

We need pics, man!

You'll be happy to know I should have my own theater completed in February. Only took three years!

Ted

·
Registered
102 Posts
Read some of those old threads... that's an amazing ammount of work. I think for me it'll just be interesting reading... I can deal with low celings.

·
Registered
799 Posts
cfabe- just 10 posts to your name and already a very very smart person. Welcome to the boards.

Ted - those Bose make great toilet tank ball replacements. All you have to do is fill in the part called a grill with caulking.

10,000 flushes and still going strong. jdb

Actually mark has a load bearing wall that might have to come down. (it's not in the Theatre though) Take it away Ted!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Toilet tank balls.... Not that's interesting. Maybe that's what Bose means in Lithuanian.

Did someone say bearing wall removal???

Ted

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Mark,

Good to see you back! I about died of laughter when I was reading the threads about your archeological dig. Anything to make the Indiana Jones theme theater, huh?

Did you keep all that dirt you brought up. I may need it to fill my walls...

Mike

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jdb
We just got our fist snow. I went out and made a Snow Angel. But from the upstairs window it looks more like a passing drunkin' bum who had fallen over in the snow and had much difficulty getting back up. jdb

Ted - those Bose make great toilet tank ball replacements. All you have to do is fill in the part called a grill with caulking.

10,000 flushes and still going strong.
two of the funniest quotes I have read all month. lol

PS: I want two of what ever jdb is taking. :D

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
JDB has some of the strangest and funniest comments I see here on the board. Mark, welcome back to the real world, congrats on getting the new theater, in the new house, with some of the old equipment, up and running in record time. Oh wait, you never said it was running, I guess I am getting ahead of you.

Enjoy the theater, and stay away from the women, you may have to move again, and loose what you have once more!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
jdb is like Kramer. He flies in, zings you with some excellent perspective then zips out... and you gotta love 'em both!

Ted

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You DO remember ...

I guess I do have to share why I built a new theater. You see after completing 99% of the now infamous Lowering The Basement Floor project, I had a grand opening and as promised invited all those incredibly 'helpful' workers and craftsmen. I THOUGHT I smelled gas but I wasn't sure...there was a flash and that is all I remember....

We are separated now and the divorce is pending...The project came out amazingly well but it was never enjoyed as it was intended...

Starting and finishing what became practically a whole house renovation was an incredible experience. I knew early on that my marriage was on the rocks but rather than save a ton of money and aggravation, I decided to finish what I started and not compromise quality. I plowed on for extra weeks and months. Future generations will appreciate what I built. It really is an amazing space.

I promise to take pictures of the old and the new...But my old website was closed down..

Any suggestions on an extremely easy and fast way to post pics would be appreciated.

Mark

ANyone interested in ancient history can click here..

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=17779

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Mark,

I feel for you, man. I went through a divorce just a bit ago. I got to keep my house and home theater, but I also won all the debt in the settlement. After deciding to upgrade my woman, it was time to look at the rest of my system. Speakers soon followed, plus a couple projectors and HTPC's and a new TV, then pretty much everything else.

I have a new fiancee now, new speakers, a whole slew of new electronics and a much better outlook. Although I doubt that your new theater will be quite the entertaining (to read) venture, I hope you get more enjoyment from it.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Mark,

What's with the gas?? Sounds like some kinda explosion.

Ted

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mr. P,

So I am not alone? I am glad things worked out for you. I am lucky as as far as divorces go, ours is by far the most civilized I have heard of. It almost makes it harder...

True, my new theater is a big yawn compared to the last monumental project. This was super fast and not complicated. I just put up on layer of sheetrock cause I don't care about making noise. I did build a platform for the Buttkickers and am excited to finally see how they are. I never hooked them up in the 'old' HT.

BTW, here is the equipment list for HT II

NEC 135 LC

Rock Plus w/sdi

Panasonic A47 DVD w/SDI mod

Stewart 96" wide 1.3? gain (54 X 96)

Probably McCormack 2 channel amp and 3 channel amp

Maybe Krell HTS or BK 307

No speakers yet...

I decided to put the Watt Puppy's up in the living room on the 'main' floor. I am using a Krell 5 Channel amp and the HTS and it sounds so good, I don;t want to put it in the HT...It seems a waste of 3 channels and all the surround ability of the HTS.

I just brought home a Conrad Johnson Preamp 17LS to compare it to the HTS...So far to my ears I like the HTS better...I also borrowed a pair of Transparent Reference Interconnects. I am comparing them to an ancient set of MIT 3 Interconnects (maybe $75 7 years ago) and no name silver interconnects...The difference is apparent compared to the MIT's but in some ways I prefer the no name silver...You would not believe how much louder the silver balanced are...They are more dynamic and sound really great.

I can never see spending $2000 on these interconnects...The old MITs hold up well against the Transparent Reference! I totally notice differences in wire but man, I cannot believe how unimpressed I am for $2000!...The Wilson Watt Puppy;s supposedly use the Treansparent wire internally...they do sound better than the MIT but against the no name Silver balanced they are just different....

Sorry to digress into audiospeak,,,

This is fun!

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Mark,

I heard somewhere that balanced interconnects will give a 6db gain compared to unbalanced, so that may be where the louder sound comes from. You would need to trim the input down to accurately do an A/B comparison.

I would love to hear what type of speakers you settle on. I am selling my IRSes and will be looking for something new to listen to. Unfortunately, most of the stereo speakers I have on my list (pipedreams, Avant Garde, Genesis among them) don't make HT speakers, so I am screwed on a center and surrounds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.