AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a preview of Greg Rogers as our Special Guest at the AVS Special Guest forum starting May 26th for one week!

Greg Rogers is the President of Accupel, at www.accupel.com, which sells a HDTV signal generator for use in ISFing video displays. And he's the video technical editor for Widescreen Review. So Greg should be a great guest. He starts on Sunday, May 26th.

Greg, could you please tell us both your educational and work history and background? Currently, now besides being video technical editor for Widescreen Review magazine, and President of Accupel, what else do your do, and to what extent are you available for video display setup and ISF calibration if at all?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi Greg,

Loved your review of the Runco 1200. I would like to ask a couple of questions about the projector, how it was setup and some of your insights. I'm guessing that the 1200 doesn't have Barco's optional digital contrast modulation to make light output more even from centre to the corners? Was the blue tube defocused in the setup?

To keep the beam spot size fine for maximum sharpness and 3D depth, what do you think of using a Torus screen and the economy light output mode? Will that limit the peak light output or hurt proper white level and grey scale delineation? Finally, Could you please comment on the effectiveness of the 25 zone six pole astigmatism vs older designs in keeping the beam spot round?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Greg,

I just read your review in the latest WR on the Pioneer Elite DVR-7000 and an obscure few lines in it immediately caught my eye.

You stated that: "Although not mentioned in the documentation, the Detail control appears to be an adaptive vertical filter, which affects low luma values more than higher values. It can sharpen the edges of horizontal or diagonal lines without creating the edge outlining artifacts seen on too many DVDs. However, setting these controls too high can emphasize noise on poor sources."

I have a 2 year old mystery regarding a video parameter accessible only within the Service Mode on my Pioneer Elite 610 RPTV. The "Detail" parameter is adjustable throughout a range of - 128 to + 127 and I can't seem to find anyone who knows what "Detail" does in my Elite or how to adjust it properly. The Service Manual merely recommendeds that you leave it's independent stored settings for the various source types and inputs at factory defaults.

Do you know if my Elite RPTV Detail function is, and does the same thing as, the Detail function in the DVR-7000?

Also, is the Detail function you talk about in the DVR-7000 similar to the non-linear Y-C enhancement or other enhancement types included in the various Faroudja exterior video processors?

Your knowledge on this, or inputs from what you've heard on this will be greatly appreciated .......... thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Hi Greg,

Hoping you can do an in depth on the Marantz DLP as you did on the Sharp. I LOVE my Marantz PJ and would love to see hear it stacks up in terms of measurements, etc. It looks amazing to my eyes, which is all that counts I suppose, but I'd appreciate knowing what your test equipment finds.

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Hi Greg,

I would like you to comment on contrast ratio measurements. As an example I just read your review in WSR of the InFocus DLP which you measured a CR of around 350:1 and the manufacturer claims 600:1. For digital front projectors, the manufacturers claim being significantly higher is the rule rather than the exception as I am sure you would agree. I'm not trying to pick on InFocus, just using the most recent example. How do the manufacturers come up with these numbers and do they mean anything? Is there any standardized test that could be used by them so consumers can make a comparison without having to wait many months for a professional review?

Thanks,

John Moschella

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Greg,

I have another question about reference black level. Of course the NTSC standard is a black level of 7.5 IRE or about 48 mV. Many DVD players and computers can be set up so the reference black level is 0 IRE or 0 volts. Do you feel the 0 IRE set up is advantageous for DVD playback? Is there anything in the encoding of a DVD that necessitates one standard or the other? Does a 0 IRE set up require a different gamma response to achieve the same degree of shadow detail at near black?

Thanks again.

John Moschella

·
Registered
21,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is just a preview of Greg Rogers as our Special Guest at the AVS Special Guests forum starting May 26th for a week!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.