AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question has been asked on other forums but I don't believe it's been asked in this one.

How do people react when they see your HT in action? I was one of the first on the block with a flat panel (Panasonic Plasma) and guests used to be amazed at the image. Now of course flat panels are everywhere and have reached "just a TV" status.

But most people don't have much experience with what good projected images can look like, so I'd expect some interesting reactions to the images/sound produced by the equipment owned by this group. (Not to mention the HT room decor etc).

I've only borrowed several different projectors (e.g. Panasonic 700AE 720p, some boardroom projectors) to play with projecting on my wall (which is very sub-optimal to say the least: bumpy, ochre-colored with a light black stain effect) and already I'm getting amazed reactions. People are blown away when they see an image that big and, especially playing HD DVDs, that clear. When my sister, who had been impressed by a demo of King Kong on my wall, brought a friend over she insisted I show him something.

It wasn't even dark - just sunset, and I had nothing but light see-through roman curtains on the bay windows so tons of light was still getting into the room. I put on "I Am Legend" on HD DVD and grimaced at how washed out the image looked but nonetheless her friend was wowed. He thought it looked amazingly clear and was very impressed.

Another friend, upon seeing 2001 (HD DVD) at about 124" wide on my wall said "My God, it's like you could fall into the picture...like it's portal."

Most surprising was a visit from my techno-geek Brother-in-Law ("BIL"). He was talking about how he finally bought a nice Sharp Aquos flat screen LCD tv and how much he and his wife were enjoying watching movies on it.

I told him of my project and asked if he wanted to see a demo. He said yes not too enthusiastically. All I had was a low-res (480) business projector that day, it still wasn't dark outside (and hence not fully dark in the room) and I put on the beginning of Transformers. As soon as the wall lit up with the image his head went back and he emitted a "wow." It was only 5 minutes into it when he started talking about how it was such a great way to watch movies and after the projector went off he started asking questions about projection and how he could get a set up like that in his place.

And that's from me, a guy who hasn't even bought a projector yet.

How about your stories?

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
I have many versions of the same story. Most of my friends come with a wife and most of my wife's friends come with a husband. Reactions are usually similar. There is some exchange of looks between the husband and wife followed by some discussion of why the husband can/cannot do something similar. There are also lots of questions, usually about cost.

When the lights go down and the movie starts, most people just get lost in the movie.

With the exception of a few friends that I have that are into this hobby, most people don't point out anything in particular that they enjoy. No comments about black levels or color accuracy or anything like that. I have gotten a few "what a sharp picture comments." I think most people seem to equate a good picture with a "sharp" picture, for some reason. Most people have still never seen a bluray movie yet. A good bluray on a large screen is hard to screw up.

I really don't need the affirming comments about specific things. I just trust that everything that I have done has made it a very enjoyable, seamless experience for my guests. They may not consciously notice the blackness or color or other things, but I know that it is registering on some level. The most comments I get are about my theater chairs. People love to recline!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeb /forum/post/14205454

I usually get one of two reactions: A low key "This is nice " or a really appreciative " Wow ! ".

I get exactly the same response. Nothing in between.

Then they ask me.. "so how much did all this cost?"

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have quite a few artistic, movie-loving friends so I think I'll see some appreciative responses.

The same room that is to become my HT is the one that I've used for my high-end audio listening for years. I've had a lot of nice stuff through that room (everything from Quad ESL 63s with subwoofers, to Von Schweikert, Audio Physic, Waveform, Thiel, Hales, Meadowlark an others...and yummy tube amps...)...and the reactions I had surprised me. Most of us seem to assume the "average joe" won't know good sound when he hears it, or appreciate it. But over the years I've had tons of people sit down to listen, out of curiosity (and even some, like my mom, who had to be dragged to the sitting sofa) and I can't remember one person, male or female, who did not express amazement at hearing such beautiful sound.

Seems to me it would be even easier for them to appreciate Big Picture and sound done well together.

·
Registered
776 Posts
My experiences are simliar to all yours. The vast majority are duly impressed, not only the picture and sound, but the gear being unobtrusive (the women especially love this), and the comfortable chairs.

Usually after the initial chatter dies down, I bring up a THX trailer loud enough to feel. After that, they're putty on your hands! Sometimes a barrage of requests to see favorite scenes from movies will follow, unless a feature has already been planned.

One group of guests, after watching a movie, turned to me and said, "Now I understand why you rarely go to the theater- why would you?!?" That feels good, and is a good antidote to upgradeitis.

·
Registered
19,502 Posts

Quote:
I have yet to have anyone not be impressed. But usually subtle hints at how much it costs come into play.

No one ever asks me. I think because they are already shell shocked after seeing the 1100 bottles of wine in the walk in wine cellar. Which is nearing 1.5X the theater cost anyways.

·
Registered
873 Posts
In 2001, my favorite comment ever was "wow, this is like mtv cribs."

These days, I usually show THX Wow!, and people are blown away. I then explain its a transfer from a laserdisc, and would they like to see bluray. . . .

The best sign is that people forget time, and get lost in the experience.

I think people have had more emotional experiences to one of my 2 channel audio set ups over the years than the theater. There's more magic there.

Kelly

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstirman /forum/post/14208798

I think people have had more emotional experiences to one of my 2 channel audio set ups over the years than the theater. There's more magic there.

Kelly

I can understand that. I've seen quite a number of emotional responses to listening to music in my 2 channel set up too. There is a certain type of nourishment that music provides, different from the movie viewing experience, that I can't give up. Hence I'm trying to keep my 2 channel set up in the mix.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The most common remark I get when people see my theater for the first time is: " I would lock myself in here and never come out ".

·
Premium Member
11,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank456 /forum/post/14209281

The most common remark I get when people see my theater for the first time is: " I would lock myself in here and never come out ".

Same here. Or "why would you ever leave?"

And the "how much do you have invested" question is always just beneath the surface (or actually asked)

My two channel reaction has been less than overwhelming. On the other hand, the HT response has always been lots of superlatives.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I get many very impressed reactions to my theater. But as many have said they love the chairs and want to know how much something like this costs. I am currently doing a major upgrade that will make the overall cost "scary" to most; however, my past setups have been pretty affordable. When I told them that my projector and screen cost $2500 or less than a 60" plasma people got amazed and the men start thinking how they could do this. But then the wives soon say no way which honestly disgusts me. So many men work hard to make a living and can't even stand up for what they want...amazing.

When I was starting to feel guilty about my current upgrade costing close to $20K when finished I then thought about it in terms of the cost of a kitchen remodel. In fact I was listening to a person tell me they had just spent $50K on a kitchen remodel and not to long before that she told me $15K-$20K on a home theater is simply a waste of money!!!! But even the wives always enjoy my theater...I don't understand.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
I get, "Wow... are you in the business??" I love to respond, "nope" and let it hang. My theater is very functional; stadium seating with all the equipment hidden away in a projection room and the speakers hidden behind the 10' wide SMX screen. So it doesn't look like the typical in-home, equipment laden theater.

But like others posting here, I too have had the most reaction from my two channel setup. "Wow... makes you believe in ghosts" is a comment from even the most audio illiterate. I like to say, all you need is a functioning set of ears to appreciate it! Close your eyes and Kitka is in the room with you. It's really magical... breathtaking.. to everyone. It really grabs people's attention.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The thing you have to understand about women is that they are communal. They believe a home is for nurturing and entertaining family and guests. And that means......conversation. Specifically conversation with guests and family where you show interest in their lives, their concerns, etc.

A room set up for the purpose of listening to music or watching movies flies in the face of all of their sensibilities -- especially when there are speakers intruding into the room. A room set up for listening to music or watching movies, to them, is anti-social. When you are sitting in the sweet spot, you are only interested in music -- when you are watching a movie of listening to music, you cannot converse with your guests.

This is why women prefer flat panel TV's and in-wall speakers. They do not intrude into the room and communicate anti-social intention to guests -- in-wall and in-ceiling speakers also communicate "background music" which is fine -- because this is what you play when entertaining guests -- and you play it in the "background" while you converse and show interest in your guests.

When I try to get my wife's friends to sit in the sweet spot in my listening room, you would think the seat was a frying pan. They are visibly uncomfortable and jumpy sitting there while the whole room is set up for their maximum enjoyment in that spot.

If I can get them to sit for a moment before jumping up, it is a small victory.

Also, look what happens when you have a music system or home theater -- the guests arrive, the husbands want to talk about the gear and --egads -- you're talking about gear. Impersonal conversation where your gear is the center of attention rather than the guests and their lives, concerns, etc.

So, equating a kitchen remodel -- the place where family and guests are fed and nurtured, where morning conversations are held to start the day, where meals are eaten as the family converses over dinner -- with a home theater remodel....you can see why many women would think the theater remodel a waste of money.

They're funny creatures -- they have their priorities all screwed up. :)

Having said that, I bet most of us have very understanding wives.

Now that you know what they really think of our hobby and pursuit, you realize how tolerant they really are.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
My theater is under construction, so I don't have the answer to that one, but the reaction I get to my listening room, which is sound-proofed and designed for excellent acoustics, is pretty interesting. The first thing people notice is the change in acoustics when entering the room. They say, "oh yeah -- you can tell." And, "yeah, it sounds so much better in here." And that's before I even play music -- just from hearing their voices. As I describe all the hidden acoustic treatments that make the room perform as it does, I can see most think I am a little wacky at first. Then, I put on a music demonstration and the women say, "it sounds great" but as I described in the previous post, you practically need to hog tie them to get them to sit in the sweet spot for even a moment. They always protest, "I can already tell -- it sounds great" and they demure. I describe how I can listen to my music at a pretty loud volume without disturbing the rest of the family -- any time of the day or night. That's when every woman says, "my husband would love a room like this." Guys are happy to sit in the sweet spot and listen to a song or two, take in the demo. Then they say, "I can see why you did this -- this is great -- I'd love to have a room like this."

Not one woman has ever said, "I would love to have a room like this."

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep there's no doubt it's hardest to get a woman to sit down to listen to music. Especially a mother...they always twitch like they think they shouldn't be sitting down and should be doing something.

But as I said, I haven't had anyone fail to honestly appreciate what they hear.

·
Registered
19,502 Posts

Quote:

That's what they say about our wine cellar!

Quote:
The thing you have to understand about women is that they are communal. They believe a home is for nurturing and entertaining family and guests. And that means......conversation. Specifically conversation with guests and family where you show interest in their lives, their concerns, etc.

A room set up for the purpose of listening to music or watching movies flies in the face of all of their sensibilities -- especially when there are speakers intruding into the room. A room set up for listening to music or watching movies, to them, is anti-social. When you are sitting in the sweet spot, you are only interested in music -- when you are watching a movie of listening to music, you cannot converse with your guests.

This is why women prefer flat panel TV's and in-wall speakers. They do not intrude into the room and communicate anti-social intention to guests -- in-wall and in-ceiling speakers also communicate "background music" which is fine -- because this is what you play when entertaining guests -- and you play it in the "background" while you converse and show interest in your guests.

I must have the perfect woman then. She loves our home theater, and had no problem with the cost, which was 40K including construction and a 16' wide La Z Boy sofa.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbeck /forum/post/14211714

Not one woman has ever said, "I would love to have a room like this."

Funny... all these comments about women's negative or ho-hum reactions... the MAIN instigator of "Movie Night" in our neighborhood is a young, beautiful (married) woman. She LOVES my theater and movies. Potluck dinner and a movie with 6 or 8 neighbors... every week. Right now we're making our way through BBC's Robin Hood series. When the first episode of the evening is done, she's, like, "next?" and everyone's on-board.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts