AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many of you use Mac OS X, but I would like to thank Lee and the anonymous author for the ReplayTV 5000 Toolkit posted here. I sure you know what a pain it is to edit mpeg-2 files using QuickTime based tools... and these babies work well very much simplifying the process.

I wanted to make it simpler (without the command line in terminal) so I have built a point and click interface for OS X users. There is currently an issue with long file names so please read the release notes in the application's about box. Other than that it seems pretty solid. Comments are not only welcome... but requested (via this forum or direct email).

It is available now at:

ReplayTV Toolshell

BTW, I have not been able to get the RTVConvert binary to do anything but crash. If this is not a known issue perhaps somebody on the Mac can shed some light as to what I am doing wrong.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by s.bradford
I wanted to make it simpler (without the command line in terminal) so I have built a point and click interface for OS X users. There is currently an issue with long file names so please read the release notes in the application's about box. Other than that it seems pretty solid. Comments are not only welcome... but requested (via this forum or direct email).

BTW, I have not been able to get the RTVConvert binary to do anything but crash. If this is not a known issue perhaps somebody on the Mac can shed some light as to what I am doing wrong.
Thanks for the GUI!

I'm having a little bit of trouble with the Edit Dumps list. It seems if I try to dump multiple .evts, they all contain the same stuff as the first dumped file. To get it to work, I have to make sure the Edit Dumps list is empty. Also, if I try to edit a file through the GUI, then save it, clicking on the file in the Edit Dump list reloads the original content and not the edited content. :confused: Where are these files stored anyway? I wanted to look at one to see what it really had.

When processing, is it possible to show the output as it runs rather than all at the end?

Regarding rtvconvert, it seems you need to specify the target .mpg file, not a fileset name like rtvedit can take. So, in the convert dialog where it asks for a fileset name, if you specify the .mpg name instead, it works. I think it's probably crashing looking for the missing extension.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by agent-x

Thanks for the GUI!

I'm having a little bit of trouble with the Edit Dumps list. It seems if I try to dump multiple .evts, they all contain the same stuff as the first dumped file.
You should only be able to make a single selection. I'll fix that in the next build.

Quote:
Also, if I try to edit a file through the GUI, then save it, clicking on the file in the Edit Dump list reloads the original content and not the edited content. :confused:
I am not sure how you are trying to save the file. Hitting enter while editing will do it. I now see it should be more intuitive. Perhaps a Save item in the File menu, or change the edit button to a save button while in edit mode, or maybe both.

Quote:
Where are these files stored anyway? I wanted to look at one to see what it really had.
I am storing the data in the application as I didn't want to have to worry about where these files were. I could add an export function if you think folks would want this.

Quote:
When processing, is it possible to show the output as it runs rather than all at the end?
Not currently... Calling the shell is currently handled as a synchronous operation so I have pretty much no choice but to wait around until it exits. I am currently looking into a way of doing this asynchronously and intercepting stdout as it progresses but that will require some pretty low level stuff so it will have to wait.

Quote:
Regarding rtvconvert, it seems you need to specify the target .mpg file, not a fileset name like rtvedit can take. So, in the convert dialog where it asks for a fileset name, if you specify the .mpg name instead, it works. I think it's probably crashing looking for the missing extension.
Ok I will force the file extension in the next build.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok... here is a new build with the following changes:

File Menu:

Added item to export current edit spec to a text file.

Add item to save current edit spec.

Edit Tab:

Fixed a bug with saving edit specs.

Added save button to save edit spec.

Convert tab:

Now adds .mpg extension if not provided in destination file name.

Available now at:

ReplayTV Toolshell 1.0a2

·
Registered
110 Posts
First,

This program is a GREAT time saver. No more trying to load the file into PixeDV to edit. However, I can't get it to load the Dump file consistently. Here I my steps.

Start Toolshell > Highlight the .evt file in the ReplayTV Event Files window > Click the "Dump Selected File" button > Name the Edit Dump file > Click on the Edit Dump file in the left window of the Edit tab

Now, in the Edit Specification it shows the Edit spec for the last movie I edited, not the current file. Sometimes I have to run the Dump twice for it to load it, but it is not consistent.

Are there any steps that I messing up or forgetting?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by American Freak
I wish some one would make a GUI for Windows.....
Patience, young padawan....

I am in the initial stages of design for a Windows front-end....I will hopefully get a chance to work on it this weekend. I will keep everyone posted when I get it ready for delivery.

Phule

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phule
Patience, young padawan....

I am in the initial stages of design for a Windows front-end....I will hopefully get a chance to work on it this weekend. I will keep everyone posted when I get it ready for delivery.

Phule
You da MAN!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gilbreen
I can't get it to load the Dump file consistently. Here I my steps.

Are there any steps that I messing up or forgetting?
I thought I fixed that. What version are you using?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It appears there were remnants of the original bug left in the last build.

I have just posted b1. I definitely can't reproduce the problem in this build so let me know whether this fixes it for you.

Simon

·
Registered
110 Posts
Simon,

Thanks for the update. This continues to be an invaluable tool for me. For anyone interested, I took the logo on Simon's webpage and edited to make an icon that I have pasted onto the application. I don't know anything about putting an icon into an application so this is the method I chose.

The download is simply a folder with the icon pasted onto it. Unstuff it and copy it onto your copy of Simon's app.

Doesn't add any functionality, but it makes it look a bit prettier in the dock.

Replay TV Icon

Enjoy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.