AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved into a new house with ceiling speakers. It has 5 areas with 2 speakers in each area with a volume control for each. Any idea what I need to get this setup (amp, hub, etc)? I intend to use this for background music with most likely using just one source maybe two.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are only looking to pipe the same source to one or more of the zones, all you need is an amplifier, source(s) and a speaker selector switch.

The amp doesn't have to have a crazy amount of power, 100W is plenty and you can probably even get away with less.

The source(s) can be pretty much anything that can connect to the amplifier.

Finally you will need a speaker selector switch like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090305&p_id=8229&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Just connect the speaker output of the amplifier to the input of the selector switch and connect each volume control to one of the outputs on the selector switch.

Now, there are more complicated and expensive solutions that will let you play different sources in each room, but without control wiring to each zone, control can get complicated.

Hope this helps?

-Mario

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hooked the speakers to the new amp to test the speakers and was unable to hear anything . I tried different sets of ceiling speakers but no luck. How can I test to make sure the speakers are connected?

·
Registered
149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiruvil  /t/1521953/guidance-for-ceiling-speakers-equipment-required#post_24467775

Thanks for your help! Something like this work to power all of the speakers at the same time?

I assume using an extra receiver wouldn't work?
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-apa150-150w-power-amplifier--300-812

That amp is not ideal. That's pretty much what you'd want for a subwoofer. It's crossover filter allows no frequencies above 150hz which is bass only. Unless the crossover was totally defeatable you will not be able to pass anything other then bass to speakers. That also is a very weak amp to power 12 speakers.

And kinda on an extra receiver. Say you had a 7.1 receiver. If it supports all channels mono as a surround mode then technically it would work. All channels stereo is a potential option as well just has some downsides

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts