AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Greetings DIY'ers.  I was hoping for some experienced guidance or suggestions from the DIY community that could point me in the right direction for something.  I would like to know what kind of option I would have in going the DIY route for a fairly small sealed sub to add to my current ID sub, mainly to help out with smoothing, not necessarily for a huge SPL increase, although I will take some if I get it. 

I currently have a PSA XS30 as my main sub in my living room, and would like to replace the PSW110 that I am using nearfield to fill in a null at my MLP.  I am not flexible with placement or the location of the MLP, its my main living room.

The issue I have is that I am looking for an enclosure with a max width of 15", the length and height can be higher but I don't want something huge...20-22" would be fine.

I also, of course, would like to strike a good balance between price and performance, otherwise I would just buy another XS30(actually it is too wide).

Would 5-$700 build a sub that would meet or exceed the performance of say an XS15 or SB2000 and match up with the XS30(better than the PSW110 does)?

No clue where to start, what driver to use, what amp, dsp, enclosure etc.

I have limited time, no woodworking tools, just some interest.

So far the XS15($750) is an option I am considering, but at 17" it is wider than I would like.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123  /t/1523229/guidance-needed-for-diy-sealed-sub/0_80#post_24501185

Greetings DIY'ers.  I was hoping for some experienced guidance or suggestions from the DIY community that could point me in the right direction for something.  I would like to know what kind of option I would have in going the DIY route for a fairly small sealed sub to add to my current ID sub, mainly to help out with smoothing, not necessarily for a huge SPL increase, although I will take some if I get it. 

I currently have a PSA XS30 as my main sub in my living room, and would like to replace the PSW110 that I am using nearfield to fill in a null at my MLP.  I am not flexible with placement or the location of the MLP, its my main living room.

The issue I have is that I am looking for an enclosure with a max width of 15", the length and height can be higher but I don't want something huge...20-22" would be fine.

I also, of course, would like to strike a good balance between price and performance, otherwise I would just buy another XS30(actually it is too wide).

Would 5-$700 build a sub that would meet or exceed the performance of say an XS15 or SB2000 and match up with the XS30(better than the PSW110 does)?

No clue where to start, what driver to use, what amp, dsp, enclosure etc.

I have limited time, no woodworking tools, just some interest.

So far the XS15($750) is an option I am considering, but at 17" it is wider than I would like.

Thanks.

1) Most DIY's will leave your XS15 far behind.

2) Where is it going to be installed (an 18" could fit in the box dimensions depending on where the width and length come into play)

3) As far as amp, DSP, enclosure, etc; just search through the first half dozen threads and you'll get plenty of info.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

1) Thats what i thought

2)This sub will be in between my sectional and the wall, about 4.5'  from the corner of the room(doorway in corner of the room).  I only have about 15" width to place it here, which is why I thought DIY might give me more flexibility with adjusting the width and making up for the required enclosure volume with length and height, where I have some flexibility.  Was thinking if I could come in less than $750 with = or better capability, and a better fit.

3)  I will peruse those threads.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The UXL-18 seems to be a good driver for a small enclosure.  Are there other drivers that would be better suited?  Anything a bit cheaper that performs well?

·
Registered
5,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123  /t/1523229/guidance-needed-for-diy-sealed-sub/0_80#post_24501332

The UXL-18 seems to be a good driver for a small enclosure.  Are there other drivers that would be better suited?  Anything a bit cheaper that performs well?

The budget sub that gets great recommendations is the SI18 (or 15). Great performer that will cost you around 200 shipped. They require a little bit of airspace, but nothing outrageous.

Whole ton of builds on this site utilizing them. I'd never run them but.........................

·
Registered
6,337 Posts

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
How dare you recommend a puny 12" sub on here.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1523229/guidance-needed-for-diy-sealed-sub#post_24501370

How dare you recommend a puny 12" sub on here.
Cuz if I recommend what I want to I will get flagged for being biased:eek:

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp  /t/1523229/guidance-needed-for-diy-sealed-sub#post_24501363

This box
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/subwoofer-flatpacks-2/2-sub-flat-pack.html

With this sub
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-um12-22-12-ultimax-dvc-subwoofer-2-ohms-per-coil--295-512

With this amp
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005EHIN3A

Around 500 bucks and will fit in your spot.

To get a ported sub in that space to get a lot more output you would need to go to 24" in height.
This option is close at 16".  If I spend time on a DIY, I would want to make sure to exceed the performance of a sub I can buy off the shelf, such as the XS15 at 17", turn key for just over $700.  So, unless I am off base, I would like to stick to a 15 or 18" driver, sealed enclosure.  Then again, I know an inch is not much, but with my room layout and space constraints I would really like to be 15" or less to make it worthwhile.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I like the flat packs, as it looks like it would be pretty easy to assemble, but alot of them appear to be squares that do not stay under 15" on one of the sides.  Is there a DIY member who cuts flat packs for custom size requirements?  I suppose it is the cubic feet volume that is important to get right depending on driver and power? So if I limit one side to 15" the other two sides can be made larger to get the volume needed?

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
^^^ yes. You could put an 18 in a 15" x 22" x 26" , or something like that. I am the guy who sells flatpacks . I can't design subs though

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

If I come up with an enclosure design, as far as external dimensions, can you give an estimate of what it would cost to ship me a flat pack?  And would it use 3/4" mdf?  My XS30 uses 1" I think.  Just wondering what thickness is ideal.  

Hmm..it just struck me, that with an 18" driver, I will have to have it face either the couch or the wall, as it obviously wont fit on the 15" width sides of the box.  Which means I need an air gap as well......dropping to a 15" would not help as it still would not fit on the narrow side.  I need to measure again when I get home this weekend.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
So you could put a Dayton Ultimax 15 in that enclosure. Or you could put an 18 if you're willing to wait and spend more. Don't forget to budget an amplifier though.

The Dayton Ultimax 15 may only cost around 200 but a nice amp will be around 350 as well. Unless you want to use an inuke but I hate the thought of doing a fan mod.

If it was me, I'd do this

2 Dayton Ultimax 15s for $400

Crown XLS1500 for $350

And a Flatpack to put it all in. It's probably 50 dollars or so over your original budget but it will leave the XS15 behind. Someone can probably do a good model of it.

But staying within your budget and very well under it I'd do this.

Dayton Ultimax 15 for $200

Inuke for $179 off amazon

Flat Pack to put it in.

I'd be very very upset about having to probably do the fan mod but it's safe to say that'd be good as well and far cheaper than $750.

Up to you. I personally plan to do the first one, and now that I think of it, people are willing to do flatpacks here so I'll probably ask here rather than bother buying the equipment to do cuts myself.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Can you explain your comment about the fan mod?  Which design would it be required for?

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp  /t/1523229/guidance-needed-for-diy-sealed-sub#post_24501518

Use 3/4" mdf. Pm me when you have the design done with your zip code and I can give u a quote.
Ok thanks 
  Is there a typical ballpark cost which small sealed enclosure typically run?

·
Registered
6,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123  /t/1523229/guidance-needed-for-diy-sealed-sub#post_24501532

Can you explain your comment about the fan mod?  Which design would it be required for?
Inukes stock fans are super loud. Most people replace them with a computer fan that costs 15 bucks. Lots of threads about it.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123  /t/1523229/guidance-needed-for-diy-sealed-sub#post_24501537

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp  /t/1523229/guidance-needed-for-diy-sealed-sub#post_24501518

Use 3/4" mdf. Pm me when you have the design done with your zip code and I can give u a quote.
Ok thanks 
  Is there a typical ballpark cost which small sealed enclosure typically run?
On diysoundgroup there are some around 100 bucks. Erich the owner doesn't really make a profit. I would charge 140-180 depending on size and 40-80 for shipping depending on weight and where its going.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts