AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i made a post in a different forum but i think it would be better here...Normally i would spend a few days or a week reading as many threads as possible but with this situation i just don't have the time, so i'm hoping some of the gurus here can shed some light on this situation.....i need to put up an outdoor theater.....projectr will be throwing lengthwise across a pool onto either a garage wall or most like will build a portable screen.....the projector will be approx. 40-50 feet away from the screen.....is this possible? i should mention the cost for proj. should be sub 1000.00.......any info GREATLY appreciated.....

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm no guru but I think throwing a picture 40-50 feet using a sub-$1,000 projector is going to be extremely difficult.

You should post the same question in the forums at backyardtheater.com. That forum is a more active than AVS on these issues.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
My recent test was with a 1K projector, shooting onto a 22 foot wide screen, with the projector about 40 feet from the screen. Projector was an HD71, and the image was plenty bright.

It was FAR better than I thought it would be. It is very possible.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I've yet to see the HD71 in person but from the comments and test pics on THIS forum it apparently is very bright.

I'm a member of BYT as well but I'd rather keep everyone here. It's the only way this area will gain in posts and knowledge.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Along with occasional back yard movies which we show across our pool onto our house wall every year I edit together scenes from old horror movies and Haloween cartoons and project to the street side wall of our house.

I use our Canon "business" model projector throwing to a 15ft X 15ft screen zoomed from a distance of about 15 yards or 45 ft. It is PLENTY bright and attracts kids like moths to a bright light. I use a PA power head with EQ and small PA speaker "towers" and the sound fills our street.

I chose a cheap Walmart tarp for our screen material as one side is gray which is perfect for projection (our indoor HT screen is a gray hi-gain screen).

What you want to do ain't hard to do and you should be able to find a BRIGHT business class PJ for well within your budget.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts