AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a Toshiba HP5016 50" plasma (bought 1.5 years ago) connected to a Time Warner HD DVR box (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HD). I am seeing 3 issues/problems with the TV.

1. When dark scenes are displayed e.g. a night scene, there is a lot of green in the display, versus black.

2. Sometimes the TV will just blanking out i.e. picture there one moment, gone the next moment. Turning the TV off does not reset this. The only solution I have found is to turn the TV off, wait for about 15-20 minutes and then turn it back on.

3. Also sometimes, when I turn on the cable and the TV, I will get a big black rectangle in the middle of the display, with the message "your hdtv does not support hdcp. please use the YPrPb component. The problem goes away if turn the cable and TV on after some time e.g. 30 mins. The manual for the Toshiba plasma states TV is HDCP compliant. I spoke with Time Warner service regarding this and the response I got was "this is a problem that happens due to flow control issues in the HDMI cable and that all HDMI cables suffer from it . And the only solution is to physically disconnect the HDMI cable and reconnect it". I somehow do not buy this - also the HDMI cable in question was supplied by Time Warner.

Can you advise on what might the possible root causes can be for any or all of the above problems? Any diagnostic suggestions on how to narrow down the issue(s)?

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Use the component connection. If your problems go away, then it's an HDMI issue. In that case the simplest thing would be to use component until there's a new cable box and then try that.

Also, if you have no issues with your other sources (DVD, HDDVD, BD) then that also suggests HDMI compatibility problems.

It wouldn't hurt to try another HDMI cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
"your hdtv does not support hdcp. please use the YPrPb component Is a known issue with a lot of TVs and the SA 8300HD. Do a google search about the 8300hd and known issues, and you will find tons of problems with "your hdtv does not support hdcp. please use the YPrPb component message.

I had the 8300hd, and then the new 8300hdc (c stands for cablecard) and that one was worse, could not affix a hd resolution, freezes during digital handshakes when changing channels, going into 1080i on FOX and 720p on MOJO, lol, it was all messed up when hooked up to my Panasonic th42px60u. I also got the hdcp message once in a while, which was resolved by turning off both devices, unplugging the hdmi cable, plugging it back in and turning everything on, or something along that line.

I spoke to time warner and there answer was "our SA 8300hd/c are not fully compatible with HDMI", and I was advised to use component cables. However, I have 2 component inputs and 2 hdmi inputs on my tv, and the components where already occupied by a xbox360 and a wii, so that was not possible.

If you want to test the box with component cables, which will definitely get rid of the "your hdtv does not support hdcp. please use the YPrPb component message, you should also check your blacks.

I eventually just got a tivo HD, and it is just amazing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts