AVS Forum banner

2081 - 2100 of 5056 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'm a tech guy, but this may be a stupid question.

Can you feed an HDMI output (from say, an Apple TV) to madVR for processing?

Cheers
No, the video must come from one of these media players on a Windows PC:

· DVB Dream
· DVBViewer
· Fast Video Cataloger
· GameEx
· JRiver MediaCenter
· KMPlayer
· Kodi DSPlayer
· MediaPortal 1
· MPC-BE
· MPC-HC
· PotPlayer
· ProgDVB
· SmartDVB
· YAP
· Zoom Player

·
Registered
464 Posts
I would like to hear which settings you end up with on madVR, NCP, and your new JVC.
I recently went through the exact same upgrades 🙂
Well I purchased my projector from Beastaudio here on AVS, and he already had pre-programmed gamma curves and corrected the gamma droop on the projector. In this case, the settings he had preset assuming I was using a Panasonic 820 as the source (In lieu of MadVR) seem to get the colors and tone mapping just right.

I am also using an RTX2060 and am using some presets provided by Onkyoman and tested them today on 10 Bit MKV files of the Bohemian Rhapsody Live Aid Bonus track and then the movie Hunter Killer. The Picture Quality, HDR, Brightness, Color Tones looked great on the 820 Setting I used on the projector. I used the madMeasureHDR tool in advance on both files along with the presets Onkyoman sent me.
Would you share your 820 custom mode settings on the JVC? 🙂

Are you using soulnights’ tool with the measured HDR files? If so, what version and settings?

Have you set madVR to control the JVC - to select a specific SDR-BT2020 calibration (your Panny 820 mode) in the projector when playing HDR BT2020 content, and a REC709 calibration for standard SDR;
zoom control for constant height setup etc?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Are you using soulnights’ tool with the measured HDR files? If so, what version and settings?

Have you set madVR to control the JVC - to select a specific SDR-BT2020 calibration (your Panny 820 mode) in the projector when playing HDR BT2020 content, and a REC709 calibration for standard SDR;
How can it change settings on the projector?

I guess it needs to be cabled somehow, as with a Vertex?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,085 (Edited)
I'm a tech guy, but this may be a stupid question.

Can you feed an HDMI output (from say, an Apple TV) to madVR for processing?

Cheers
madshi has said he may incorporate madVR's video processing into an external box at some point, but everything is currently limited to PC use at this time.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,086 (Edited)

You can set madVR to match BT.2020 used by the projector and BT.709 should be played correctly without any oversaturation:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223175&pid=2751243#pid2751243

If you want to switch picture modes on the JVC, try HTPC Control mentioned towards the middle of this post:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223175&pid=2750406#pid2750406

·
Registered
464 Posts
You can set madVR to match BT.2020 used by the projector and BT.709 should be played correctly without any oversaturation.

If you want to switch picture modes on the JVC, try HTPC Control mentioned towards the middle of this post:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223175&pid=2750406#pid2750406
Thanks. I will take a look.
So the .bat file Manni talks about in

Quick How To to control the JVC Projectors from MadVR: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2246658-jvc-calibration-software-v6-2015-models-x9000-x7000-x5000-rs400-rs500-rs600-55.html#post55519234

- is that an older method than HTPC control or just an alternative method? Same degree of control?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

I have not yet tried soulnight's tool. Only madMeasureHDR.

I have not configured madVR to control the JVC, though it does locate its IP address correctly. I have not checked any scaled content to see if there is a different picture mode that looks better for other types of source content to even need that capability. But I use a 16:9 screen anyway, so i don't need to worry about CIH.

---

Any idea what I might look at to improve my playback issue?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
That is the Vertex. HTPC Control is a simple utility created by an AVS Forum user.
Oh so its IP controlled? Thats brilliant.

Bloody hell, there's some really good stuff there. I thought I didn't need to run the measurement utility, as the dynamic tone mapping is possibly replacing it? Or will it always be best to pre measure?

This is all moving so fast, its hard to catch up - theres certainly a lot of reading involved, but thanks to all the experts on here for helping us latecomers out also.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
@Onkyoman

Is DSPlayer still a valid alternative to MPC-HC/BE even though the developer has stepped away from the project? My remote app is far more friendly with Kodi forks and I have been using MrMC on the Shield, for a long time, but with my newly built HTPC, for MadVR, I would love to keep Kodi in the loop. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I am using DSPlayer and it is working fine. Compatibility with madVR could break as it gets older, as could a few Kodi add-ons as support is dropped. But I'm happy with it.

You could also install v18 of regular Kodi and launch MPC-BE as an external player.
Thanks. I will give DSplayer a try later on.

I use 10Muse as a catalog and remote app and its (remote control) works much better on the Kodi forks so I wanted to stay with those. The remote capabilities of MPC-HC/BE are far more limited.

·
Registered
805 Posts
After canceling the RTX2070 as the supplier couldn't deliver it, i opted for a RTX 2060. I was going to wait for the GTX 1660Ti, but from the earlier information, it was only going to be around 50/70$ cheaper than the RTX 2060, so i opted for the RTX.

I'm hopping to install everything this week.
I will use Windows 8.1, and will try to remove all the services that are not required as Printing, Skype, Fax, etc ...
The idea is to only install the required tools for AV, as MadVr, argyllCMS, MPC-BE, Media Info and REW.

Build details here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7tKt29

And a few images of the build:

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
After canceling the RTX2070 as the supplier couldn't deliver it, i opted for a RTX 2060. I was going to wait for the GTX 1660Ti, but from the earlier information, it was only going to be around 50/70$ cheaper than the RTX 2060, so i opted for the RTX.

I'm hopping to install everything this week.
I will use Windows 8.1, and will try to remove all the services that are not required as Printing, Skype, Fax, etc ...
The idea is to only install the required tools for AV, as MadVr, argyllCMS, MPC-BE, Media Info and REW.

Build details here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7tKt29

And a few images of the build:
I like it, curious why windows 8.1? Are you using WMC?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've decided to go with MadVR for Blu Ray playback on my NX7. I already have a gaming PC with overkill specs (2080Ti) so the only thing I need is a BluRay drive and the software to be able to play Blu Rays through a MadVR-compatible player.

Is the list of "UHD friendly" drives still up to date? Ideally I would like to get this: https://www.amazon.com/Asus-BW-16D1X-U-External-Blu-ray-Adapter/dp/B071WB35MH

That drive is recommended here: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16832

TLDR: Buy internal or external ASUS BW-16* drive and do not update its firmware.

EDIT: I re-read the instructions in this thread and in the makemkv forums. I think all I need is one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BF5LY5Z/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went ahead and got that as well as a cheap USB3.0 enclosure for it. I hope that works out. I'll give it a try. The cool thing about MadVR is that it's possible to play 4k UHD Blu Rays with HDR even on my old 1080p projector until the new projector arrives. Tone mapped and everything! Heck... why even bother getting a new projector at all?

Shhh... don't tell JVC I said that.

EDIT2: I'm confused. The instructions say that only "UHD Friendly" drives will work with players running MadVR. However, the MakeMKV site says they support the official LG drives. So... will the official LG drives work fine for playing BluRays through MadVR because MakeMKV can create the MKV files, or do they not work because the MKV files are created but not in the correct way unless you use an unofficial drive?

2081 - 2100 of 5056 Posts