AVS Forum banner

4701 - 4720 of 5052 Posts

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
You have to add them for each of the groups in madvr. In your screenshot they are being added under the "scaling" section. If you were to stop there
the profiles would only be used for those features of madvr in the scaling section. Everything else will be at a default profile. So basically repeat the process in
each of the major madvr categories.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
You have to add them for each of the groups in madvr. In your screenshot they are being added under the "scaling" section. If you were to stop there

the profiles would only be used for those features of madvr in the scaling section. Everything else will be at a default profile. So basically repeat the process in

each of the major madvr categories.
So that copy and paste that's recommended in the scaling section, is only pasted in there, correct? That's what was confusing to me. That doesn't get pasted into the other groups, right?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I think that checking those compromises on HDR luminance/tone/gamut will minimize the advantage of madVR HDR algos, isn't it ?
With a GTX 1060 6gb I don't need to check anything in trade quality for performance for 4k display, except scale chroma separately for downscaling 4k to 1080p display.
Agreed, on a 1060 you don’t need to use any compromise settings on madVR.

You can also use NGU Very High for image upscaling for 1080p -> 4K in conjunction with something like NGU AA Medium for Chroma.

Because you should never need to tone-map and up-scale at the same some since all HDR content should be 4K already, or at least it is in my experience.

From what I remember the compromise on HDR luminance channel quality brings minimal improvements, mostly do to with hightlights. Can't remember exactly, it was mentioned on the beta mapper thread.

I don't know what setting you two are using that trade quality for performance are unchecked on a 1060.

This is what I also thought as it's mentioned in the guide,
Chroma upscaling to 3840 x 2160p before image downscaling is generally a waste of resources. If you check scale chroma separately, if it saves performance under trade quality for performance, chroma upscaling is disabled because the native resolution of the chroma layer is already 1080p. This is exactly what you should do. The performance savings will allow you to use higher values for image downscaling.

But another user had a different opinion:

I tried this when I was downscaling to 1080P and I preferred the results with not having this enabled. You may wish to do your own testing.
If it allows you to use SSIM 2D then by all means but if you already have performance to spare I'd leave it..

So I did some tests. It seems upscaling the chroma and then downscaling it again does produce noticeable results.

LE: for some reason the MPC HC screenshots are the same, took new ones.

First, and and second screenshots:
Scale chorma separately unchecked, SSIM 1D, NGU Sharp Low chroma upscaling.
Scale chroma separately checked, SSIM 2D.

With the scale chroma separately unchecked, it looks like some sort of image enhancement, similar to sharpen/crispen/thin edges.

Here are the HDR Settings. Do they look good? Also, I'm using NGU Anti-Alias, high quality. Can I bump that to super high, or will that screw things up? Is there even a noticeable difference between the 2?

Set the gamma:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223175&page=37

On Epsons I assume 0 gamma is 2.2.

The display peak luminance should be real nits off the screen.
Do you have a way of measuring the nits?

Set to desaturate 1+2
Dynamic target nits set the HDR effect, lower value is less effect, higher is more effect. 50 is kind of low. Try up to 200, see what looks better.

Set no compression limit to 0.

Check disable average highlights.

Set Highlight recovery to High.

Select Error Diffusion - opinion 2 in renering>dithering

Uncheck compromise on HDR tone & gamut mapping accuracy in rendering>trade quality for performance

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I'm using an RTX2060 Super. How do we tell if the HDR has actually kicked in, if we have it set to do HDR to SDR? Normally I could tell because my 5050 would let me use the HDR slider, but it doesn't when set to do HDR to SDR.

I've read through that a few times. I'm just confused because I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do everything in that guide, or if they are just suggestions. I'm using the DSPlayer Better GUI build, and I think I updated MadVR to build 113, because some of my options are different than what the guide shows, and some of my options are grayed out, and they aren't in the guide. I downloaded the 113 zip, and unzipped it into the MadVR folder, and it asked me if I wanted to overwrite some files. I clicked yes, so am I now updated to build 113? Also, when setting up profiles, how do I know it's actually being used when I play a movie? Do I need to do what's shown in the screenshot from the guide, as far as setting up profiles for different resolutions and frame rates?

On the previous page your screenshot says madvr is doing tone mapping HDR to SDR. The line is: measured frame, tone map.

I don't know if color gamut has been discussed, check the pages. It's selected from madvr. The 5050 can do ~87% DCI P3 without the filter, so might want to select that color gamut (from madvr) even without the 5050UBs filter.

The guide is to inform on what features there are, it's up to you if you want to use them.

If the 113 files were copied in the madvr folder then you're using 113. Don't think it's written anywhere. The options on the madvr hdr page in the first screenshot on this page is the only version with those options. So it's 113 100%.

The tone mapping is not updated in the guide since tone mapping is still being developed.

I would not create profiles just yet, go through each of the features and then make the profiles. Since there's limited resources you might not want to copy and paste the settings for profiles.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
On the previous page your screenshot says madvr is doing tone mapping HDR to SDR. The line is: measured frame, tone map.

I don't know if color gamut has been discussed, check the pages. It's selected from madvr. The 5050 can do ~87% DCI P3 without the filter, so might want to select that color gamut (from madvr) even without the 5050UBs filter.

The guide is to inform on what features there are, it's up to you if you want to use them.

If the 113 files were copied in the madvr folder then you're using 113. Don't think it's written anywhere. The options on the madvr hdr page in the first screenshot on this page is the only version with those options. So it's 113 100%.

The tone mapping is not updated in the guide since tone mapping is still being developed.

I would not create profiles just yet, go through each of the features and then make the profiles. Since there's limited resources you might not want to copy and paste the settings for profiles.
Okay, thanks! You cleared up a lot of my questions. I'm using Kodi 17.7 Better GUI, so is that my best bet? Can you even use Leia with MadVR and DSPlayer? The reason I'm asking, is that I have one 1080p rip, that just won't play. The screen goes black, and it freezes up my HTPC. I have to press Ctrl + alt + delete, to get it to close down. The movie plays perfectly, when I use the stock video player. Can you think of anything that could be causing the problem? If I don't set up any profiles, and I play a movie, I'm guessing it's just playing straight through Kodi, without using anything in MadVR?

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,376 Posts
Okay, thanks! You cleared up a lot of my questions. I'm using Kodi 17.7 Better GUI, so is that my best bet? Can you even use Leia with MadVR and DSPlayer? The reason I'm asking, is that I have one 1080p rip, that just won't play. The screen goes black, and it freezes up my HTPC. I have to press Ctrl + alt + delete, to get it to close down. The movie plays perfectly, when I use the stock video player. Can you think of anything that could be causing the problem? If I don't set up any profiles, and I play a movie, I'm guessing it's just playing straight through Kodi, without using anything in MadVR?
Sorry just not enough information here to help you. You'd need to dump media info on that movie and compare it to a 1080p that works so we can see the stats on what it is, how it's encoded, etc. Most likely the issue occurs before madVR gets the stream.

Does this same movie play ok in mpc-hc with madVR setup and configured? If so, its pretty easy to set mpc-hc as your kodi player. MPC-HC can let you see the filter graph in use when you try to play a video also.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts

I don't use Kodi, but I know that you can set Kodi to open a video file with a player like Dsplayer/MPC.

You can create and use profiles in madvr, sure. But the setting for each profile will have to be set, and some will require different settings from others. For know you can get HDR tone mapping set up.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Okay, thanks! You cleared up a lot of my questions. I'm using Kodi 17.7 Better GUI, so is that my best bet? Can you even use Leia with MadVR and DSPlayer?
Kodi/DSPlayer has been abandoned at 17.6. There is no newer versions for 17.7. There is no way to make madvr work with Kodi/DSPlayer beyond the 20171126-13194ec x64 build.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Reactions: biglen

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Kodi/DSPlayer has been abandoned at 17.6. There is no newer versions for 17.7. There is no way to make madvr work with Kodi/DSPlayer beyond the 20171126-13194ec x64 build.
So the GUI just changed in 17.7, and DSPlayer is still the abandoned version? I'm going to give MPC a shot, and see if that works better for me.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I was aware of that... buggy as hell. The old version maybe a bit outdated but for just file playback it is pretty damn stable.

There is actually newer version of MPC-HC that seem promising beyond the old 1.7.13 version. The nightly builds have actually fixed many bugs and I would call it "almost stable".

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
So the GUI just changed in 17.7, and DSPlayer is still the abandoned version? I'm going to give MPC a shot, and see if that works better for me.

It is the only way to use Madvr inside Kodi with a non external player. Mpc-hc adds another layer of complexity as you have to get your remote to work with it as well. But
plenty of people do it.

This is the crappy part about madvr. We really need a stable all in one solution, it's too bad it can't be used within Kodi in the newer versions.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
It is the only way to use Madvr inside Kodi with a non external player. Mpc-hc adds another layer of complexity as you have to get your remote to work with it as well. But

plenty of people do it.

This is the crappy part about madvr. We really need a stable all in one solution, it's too bad it can't be used within Kodi in the newer versions.
Can MPC work inside of Kodi in older versions, or is it always external?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts

MPC would always be external to Kodi.

The only players Kodi supports internally are the stock VideoPlayer (formerly known as DVDPlayer) and DSPlayer.

Anything else would always be loaded as an external player.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts

It's always external, back in the day using WMC and MPC as external it was often a pain, I think it has got better over the years.

But you will use the nice Kodi OSD during playback. DSplayer should work, not sure what the issue was there, you just can't update Kodi, which sucks.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
MPC would always be external to Kodi.

The only players Kodi supports internally are the stock VideoPlayer (formerly known as DVDPlayer) and DSPlayer.

Anything else would always be loaded as an external player.
Gotcha, thanks !

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
It's always external, back in the day using WMC and MPC as external it was often a pain, I think it has got better over the years.

But you will use the nice Kodi OSD during playback. DSplayer should work, not sure what the issue was there, you just can't update Kodi, which sucks.
All of my rips play fine with DSPlayer, except 1 of my 1080p ones just won't play at all. It plays fine in the stock player, which is weird.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
All of my rips play fine with DSPlayer, except 1 of my 1080p ones just won't play at all. It plays fine in the stock player, which is weird.

Download mediainfo, and post the output of that file, maybe it is something odd, what movie it is it?

Reactions: noob00224

·
Registered
333 Posts
Is there a specific reason that you need to have official playback? Pretty sure you can pop in a disc and play it if you have anydvd running, a software like Jriver can play back discs with menus.
(I just read this here the other day I do not personally have this setup running.)
Honestly I hadn't looked into the AnyDVD approach. Not sure if it's worth the hassle (all of my movies are ripped to a server; it's just my tv show blu-rays that in a perfect world I'd like to run through madVR scaling). Probably not worth the effort/cost to get a drive and the required software, but I thought I'd look into options. Appreciate the suggestion!

4701 - 4720 of 5052 Posts