AVS Forum banner

4721 - 4740 of 5054 Posts

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Here's the mediainfo for the movie that won't play.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Looks pretty normal, if you can view to text, you get more info. Do you still have the disc, maybe try to re-rip it?

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
I'm no pro here, but nothing stands out. Honestly I wouldn't waste too much time stressing over one movie. Either
re-rip or re-source it from where it came from.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
From the encoding settings, it looks like a bad re-encoded cropped file...1920x800 not 1080.
That's a 2.4:1 aspect ratio. It's not cropped.

Reactions: markmon1

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Yes, I know the aspect ratio... but MediaInfo always shows the full dimensions, hence this file is only 1920x800 hence the black bars were cropped during the re-encoding.
This is how MediaInfo shows the dimensions of my copy of the same movie in UHD... BTW, the Blu-ray would show 1920x1080...not 800.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Yes, I know the aspect ratio... but MediaInfo always shows the full dimensions, hence this file is only 1920x800 hence the black bars were cropped during the re-encoding.
What's wrong with cropping the black bars?

I do that on all my encodes and never had a problem with playback.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
What's wrong with cropping the black bars?

I do that on all my encodes and never had a problem with playback.
Absolutely nothing wrong with cropping them...if you use good encoding settings. 9 out of 10 times if a re-encoded file has playback issues (and this is his only bad playback file) it is MORE likely a bad encoded settings. They are like recipes... One bad ingredient (setting) and the whole thing goes bad.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
From what I remember the compromise on HDR luminance channel quality brings minimal improvements, mostly do to with hightlights. Can't remember exactly, it was mentioned on the beta mapper thread.

I don't know what setting you two are using that trade quality for performance are unchecked on a 1060.

This is what I also thought as it's mentioned in the guide,
Chroma upscaling to 3840 x 2160p before image downscaling is generally a waste of resources. If you check scale chroma separately, if it saves performance under trade quality for performance, chroma upscaling is disabled because the native resolution of the chroma layer is already 1080p. This is exactly what you should do. The performance savings will allow you to use higher values for image downscaling.

But another user had a different opinion:

Set the gamma:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223175&page=37

On Epsons I assume 0 gamma is 2.2.

The display peak luminance should be real nits off the screen.
Do you have a way of measuring the nits?

Set to desaturate 1+2
Dynamic target nits set the HDR effect, lower value is less effect, higher is more effect. 50 is kind of low. Try up to 200, see what looks better.

Set no compression limit to 0.

Check disable average highlights.

Set Highlight recovery to High.

Select Error Diffusion - opinion 2 in renering>dithering

Uncheck compromise on HDR tone & gamut mapping accuracy in rendering>trade quality for performance
Highlight recovery is grayed out for me. What would cause that?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Having trade quality for performance options on.
Should I disable all of them? Also, it seems like whenever I make adjustments in MadVR, it ends up messing something up. Now my rips with AAC audio, have no sound, and it says "Analog," when I press Info on my receiver. What the heck in the MadVR settings, could screw the audio up? All I did was adjust all the settings you recommended. Could any of them affect audio?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Should I disable all of them? Also, it seems like whenever I make adjustments in MadVR, it ends up messing something up. Now my rips with AAC audio, have no sound, and it says "Analog," when I press Info on my receiver. What the heck in the MadVR settings, could screw the audio up? All I did was adjust all the settings you recommended. Could any of them affect audio?

The only trade quality option I would consider having on is scale chroma separately.

madVR has no affect on the audio, it's a video processor only.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The only trade quality option I would consider having on is scale chroma separately.

I don't know what the heck happened then. All of my rips were playing audio perfectly, earlier today. Any idea what else it could be ?

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Highlight recovery is grayed out for me. What would cause that?

I mentioned it in the last line of the last post,
Uncheck compromise on HDR tone & gamut mapping accuracy in rendering>trade quality for performance.

You haven't answered on this topic, here's the two picture more easily viewed:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2954506-improving-madvr-hdr-sdr-mapping-projector-294.html#post59352420

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Is it normal for a profile to just show up for DSPlayer? I never made those profiles.

Dsplayer makes its own profile. If you leave things at default that's the profile that would be used.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Dsplayer makes its own profile. If you leave things at default that's the profile that would be used.
I'm having all kinds of problems. I have an RTX2060 Super, and I'm having bad stuttering on some 4k rips. Someone told me I need to go to Rendering/windowed mode/how many video frames shall be presented in advance. Then set that to 1 for Nvidia cards. I set that to 1, hit apply, but when I open MadVR back up while the movie is playing, it keeps reverting back to 8. Everytime I fix one problem, another occurs.

4721 - 4740 of 5054 Posts