AVS Forum banner

4741 - 4760 of 5054 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,378 Posts
Yes, I know the aspect ratio... but MediaInfo always shows the full dimensions, hence this file is only 1920x800 hence the black bars were cropped during the re-encoding.
This is perfectly acceptable to do. This is *not* the problem. It's simply a reencode. Proper way to reencode is to crop off black bars IMO not encode them in.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,378 Posts
Should I disable all of them? Also, it seems like whenever I make adjustments in MadVR, it ends up messing something up. Now my rips with AAC audio, have no sound, and it says "Analog," when I press Info on my receiver. What the heck in the MadVR settings, could screw the audio up? All I did was adjust all the settings you recommended. Could any of them affect audio?
MadVR has nothing to do with audio. This is a problem in your decode chain. No receiver in the world supports direct decode of AAC (as far as I know). So that has to be decoded by the PC side and will likely show up as analog or multipcm depending on your windows mixer settings. You should make sure AAC is UNCHECKED in DSPLAYER settings for a bit streaming supported codec - if that's even an option. It shouldn't be.

This is also why I suggested trying out MPC-HC. There you can right click the screen during playback and select filters and get a list of how the file is being played back. That's extremely useful for debug. I wouldn't be surprised if all your problems suddenly vanished using MPC-HC also. Remember if you try MPC-HC, it may not use DSPLAYER's madVR installation settings. You may have to download and reconfigure that again. I guess you'll know when you test it.

Also, I hope you're not installing codec packs. Those are almost always guaranteed to screw you up and are often very hard to recover from the damage done. The only codecs you should have installed is LAV Filters, current stable version (not nightly builds).

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
MadVR has nothing to do with audio. This is a problem in your decode chain. No receiver in the world supports direct decode of AAC (as far as I know). So that has to be decoded by the PC side and will likely show up as analog or multipcm depending on your windows mixer settings. You should make sure AAC is UNCHECKED in DSPLAYER settings for a bit streaming supported codec - if that's even an option. It shouldn't be.

This is also why I suggested trying out MPC-HC. There you can right click the screen during playback and select filters and get a list of how the file is being played back. That's extremely useful for debug. I wouldn't be surprised if all your problems suddenly vanished using MPC-HC also. Remember if you try MPC-HC, it may not use DSPLAYER's madVR installation settings. You may have to download and reconfigure that again. I guess you'll know when you test it.

Also, I hope you're not installing codec packs. Those are almost always guaranteed to screw you up and are often very hard to recover from the damage done. The only codecs you should have installed is LAV Filters, current stable version (not nightly builds).
No codec pack installed. Somehow, AAC is working fine, but now 2 of my rips that are H265 HEVC, are stuttering so bad. I did try MPC-HC, and the same 2 are stuttering real bad. Yesterday I had them both playing just fine, but my AAC rips had no sound. Today, I have sound on AAC rips, but bad stuttering on those 2 other rips that worked fine yesterday. Like I said, I get one issue fixed, but it breaks something else.

Edit: Now all of my 4k rips are stuttering bad, and they all played perfectly yesterday.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
No codec pack installed. Somehow, AAC is working fine, but now 2 of my rips that are H265 HEVC, are stuttering so bad. I did try MPC-HC, and the same 2 are stuttering real bad. Yesterday I had them both playing just fine, but my AAC rips had no sound. Today, I have sound on AAC rips, but bad stuttering on those 2 other rips that worked fine yesterday. Like I said, I get one issue fixed, but it breaks something else.

Edit: Now all of my 4k rips are stuttering bad, and they all played perfectly yesterday.

Sounds like you need to stop messing with settings. Changing too many things at once is not a good idea as it's hard to figure out what exactly caused the issue.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Sounds like you need to stop messing with settings. Changing too many things at once is not a good idea as it's hard to figure out what exactly caused the issue.
I literally started over from scratch, uninstalling everything, and reinstalling. It's like there is a saved MadVR setting file somewhere, that keeps reloading. Like I said, I made that one switch where I put the setting to 1, hit apply, and when I reopen the settings, it keeps going back to 8. If I uninstall everything, then I should only install MadVR, which includes the LAV filters, right? Then install Kodi 17.6, which includes DSPlayer, right? I shouldn't have to install anything else, correct? One other thing I noticed too. When I set Kodi to 1920x1080, it keeps reverting back to 3840x2160. I like to keep it on 1920x1080, and set Adjust display refresh rate to On start/stop, so my 1080p rips play at 1080p, and my 2160 rips, play at 2160.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
I literally started over from scratch, uninstalling everything, and reinstalling. It's like there is a saved MadVR setting file somewhere, that keeps reloading. Like I said, I made that one switch where I put the setting to 1, hit apply, and when I reopen the settings, it keeps going back to 8. If I uninstall everything, then I should only install MadVR, which includes the LAV filters, right? Then install Kodi 17.6, which includes DSPlayer, right? I shouldn't have to install anything else, correct? One other thing I noticed too. When I set Kodi to 1920x1080, it keeps reverting back to 3840x2160. I like to keep it on 1920x1080, and set Adjust display refresh rate to On start/stop, so my 1080p rips play at 1080p, and my 2160 rips, play at 2160.

Have you verified your profiles are working? This happened to me, I was seeing stuff in the OSD that was different than I had set. The OSD is your best ally to debug issues.

When you play a video you can open the madvr settings and you will see which profile is being used as the name is the active one will be BOLD letters.

You also want to look at your render times. It could be that you are just on the edge or way over the limit. This helps to know if it's a small settings change or a big mess.

Reactions: noob00224

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Have you verified your profiles are working? This happened to me, I was seeing stuff in the OSD that was different than I had set. The OSD is your best ally to debug issues.

When you play a video you can open the madvr settings and you will see which profile is being used as the name is the active one will be BOLD letters.

You also want to look at your render times. It could be that you are just on the edge or way over the limit. This helps to know if it's a small settings change or a big mess.
I did a 100% reinstall. I think where I had a problem earlier, was the video decoder may not have been set to D3D11. All rips are now playing smoothly, with correct audio playing. Would that have caused all the issues I was having? As far as the profiles being used putting the device in bold letters, both my receiver and 5050 are in bold when playing a movie.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts

I vaguely remember something about madvr not wanting to change to new settings, but can't remember what the problem was.
You could move the madvr folder out of Program Files and run the install.bat again.

LAV filters are not with the madvr installation:
https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases

The refresh rate of the display should match the fps of the video.

Keep the render times under 41ms for 24p files.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I vaguely remember something about madvr not wanting to change to new settings, but can't remember what the problem was.
You could move the madvr folder out of Program Files and run the install.bat again.

LAV filters are not with the madvr installation:
https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases

The refresh rate of the display should match the fps of the video.

Keep the render times under 41ms for 24p files.
When I play a movie, the LAV icon is in the system tray. I only installed MadVR, and Kodi 17.7 BetterGUI.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
How do these numbers look now?
Looks ok, but no need to use NGU on High for chroma. Chroma is the color layer and does not matter that much since it's 1/4 the resolution of luma (B&W image).

The render times for the last 5 seconds says it's 80, which is too much.

When I play a movie, the LAV icon is in the system tray. I only installed MadVR, and Kodi 17.7 BetterGUI.

LAV must have installed form somewhere else. It should look like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Looks ok, but no need to use NGU on High for chroma. Chroma is the color layer and does not matter that much since it's 1/4 the resolution of luma (B&W image).

The render times for the last 5 seconds says it's 80, which is too much.

LAV must have installed form somewhere else. It should look like this:

So NGU low, or medium?

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
I did a 100% reinstall. I think where I had a problem earlier, was the video decoder may not have been set to D3D11. All rips are now playing smoothly, with correct audio playing. Would that have caused all the issues I was having? As far as the profiles being used putting the device in bold letters, both my receiver and 5050 are in bold when playing a movie.

Not sure about that but when I say profiles I mean the ones you set up such as 2160p24, 1080p24 etc.

If you go to the various categories such as "scaling" you can see which profile is active.

Looks like you may just be using a single profile?

I ask because you have a 2160p source but are using NGU High. That's not really necessary as the source is already 2160. For 4k/HDR your better using your gpu recourses towards tone mapping or something else.

But it's not a huge deal if you like what you see. The problem with a single profile is that your settings won't work across all media, and you'll then run into problems with certain files not playing like you have been.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Not sure about that but when I say profiles I mean the ones you set up such as 2160p24, 1080p24 etc.

If you go to the various categories such as "scaling" you can see which profile is active.

Looks like you may just be using a single profile?

I ask because you have a 2160p source but are using NGU High. That's not really necessary as the source is already 2160. For 4k/HDR your better using your gpu recourses towards tone mapping or something else.

But it's not a huge deal if you like what you see. The problem with a single profile is that your settings won't work across all media, and you'll then run into problems with certain files not playing like you have been.
I just got everything back to working, so I didn't set up any profiles yet. I'm still trying to figure out how to do it, and which profiles I should set up. I only have 4k and 1080p rips in my library.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Looks good. I assume you want to output the video as 2020 and not 709? I know it varies for different projectors,I just have TV's.

As far as profiles if your just have Blu Ray rips one for 2160p24 and one for 1080p24 would probably be enough.

If it was me I would emphasize tone mapping on the 2160 profile and upscaling on the 1080p profile.

I know it's a lot to wade through. Don't waste your whole Saturday!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Looks good. I assume you want to output the video as 2020 and not 709? I know it varies for different projectors,I just have TV's.

As far as profiles if your just have Blu Ray rips one for 2160p24 and one for 1080p24 would probably be enough.

If it was me I would emphasize tone mapping on the 2160 profile and upscaling on the 1080p profile.

I know it's a lot to wade through. Don't waste your whole Saturday!
Yeah, my head is spinning, trying to absorb everything I'm reading. I do have it set to 709, so I don't know why it says 2020.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Yeah, my head is spinning, trying to absorb everything I'm reading. I do have it set to 709, so I don't know why it says 2020.

It says 2020 because that's the color gamut of the source. I don't think madvr OSD shows the color gamut selected on the calibration page.

There are many settings, so start with setting up the base player first. Then divide the HDR tone mapping and 1080p upscaling setups. Use the settings I mentioned in the previous posts regarding HDR tone mapping.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
It says 2020 because that's the color gamut of the source. I don't think madvr OSD shows the color gamut selected on the calibration page.

There are many settings, so start with setting up the base player first. Then divide the HDR tone mapping and 1080p upscaling setups. Use the settings I mentioned in the previous posts regarding HDR tone mapping.

I thought down by the measured Nita and all that it showed it.

Anyways Biglen you might have checked "output as HDR" in the HDR section.

4741 - 4760 of 5054 Posts