AVS Forum banner

4921 - 4940 of 5192 Posts

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Madadhi / Onkyoman

Can you publish the best madvr configuration for RTX 2080TI GPU?
See the link below and scroll down to the section titled "MADVR PERFORMANCE SETTINGS PER GPU".

https://www.reddit.com/r/htpc/wiki/hdr

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Can anyone tell me if this is possible. I have an Unraid system running that I want to run win10 VM on, what would it take to run madvr on this?
system specs are :
Intel® Xeon® E-2288G CPU @ 3.70GHz
ASRockRack E3C246D4U
64 GiB DDR4 Single-bit ECC

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Can anyone tell me if this is possible. I have an Unraid system running that I want to run win10 VM on, what would it take to run madvr on this?
system specs are :
Intel Xeon E-2288G CPU @ 3.70GHz
ASRockRack E3C246D4U
64 GiB DDR4 Single-bit ECC

Yes it can be done. You just need a good GPU.

Generally an nVidia GTX 1070 or better if you want to do most of the processing like 4K HDR tone mapping.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Yes it can be done. You just need a good GPU.

Generally an nVidia GTX 1070 or better if you want to do most of the processing like 4K HDR tone mapping.

I am thinking that the IGPU wouldn't be the best route?

I would like to wait till Sept. when I heard the new NVidia come out and then look at the 2080, since I also would like to try VR from same VM.
My server is in my attic, but it is right above me, so feeding hdmi about 15 ft I guess to avr. Then figuring out how to get the mouse and keyboard functional downstairs from attic.
Any thoughts are much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I am thinking that the IGPU wouldn't be the best route?

I would like to wait till Sept. when I heard the new NVidia come out and then look at the 2080, since I also would like to try VR from same VM.
My server is in my attic, but it is right above me, so feeding hdmi about 15 ft I guess to avr. Then figuring out how to get the mouse and keyboard functional downstairs from attic.
You could use the iGPU to run a HTPC, but you wont be able to do much if anything with madVR processing.

It might be tricky to pass through the iGPU to the VM. I am not sure if you can do that in unRAID or if you need an additional GPU in the system or not.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
You could use the iGPU to run a HTPC, but you wont be able to do much if anything with madVR processing.

It might be tricky to pass through the iGPU to the VM. I am not sure if you can do that in unRAID or if you need an additional GPU in the system or not.
From my reading, I believe I can pass thru the IGPU in Unraid, this would be used for transcoding of my plex docker streams. Then adding NVidia card could be passed to the VM.
Do I need the htpc and madvr on same machine? I have an Odroid N2 now, could that be passed to madvr then to projector?

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,706 Posts
Then figuring out how to get the mouse and keyboard functional downstairs from attic.
Getting a mouse and keyboard to work from ~15' away is trivial, especially after getting HDMI to work well. You could consider an RF wireless keyboard and mouse, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, or something like a USB over Ethernet sender/receiver solution.

Here are a couple of USB extenders that use a dedicated CAT5 or CAT6 Ethernet cable between the 2 dongle ends (I have used the Iogear model and it works really well):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/482215-REG/Iogear_GUCE51_USB_Ethernet_Extender.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI:514&gclid=CjwKCAjwr7X4BRA4EiwAUXjbt6HPm8akFNJ-tdHnuVE8dYwpcERPjJfQaNfeB8wFrjOYZh9Ti5KdXhoCPBwQAvD_BwE

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6042

There are other solutions available that will send the USB traffic over your home network, but those are more expensive.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
when i watch 4k dolbyvision movies, can madvr + mpc-hc/be detect if it is dolbyvision or hdr? or it only detect hdr movie?
Any form of HDR other than HDR10 is not currently supported, including Dolby Vision.

Reactions: noob00224

·
Registered
125 Posts
I got to say my 2070s is doing much better than the 1660ti. The Shield TV 2020 was buggy and did not produce as nice of an image. I sent it back to amazon. Still getting a bit of ringing, which I absolutely hate. I am going to continue researching to see if I can get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I got to say my 2070s is doing much better than the 1660ti. The Shield TV 2020 was buggy and did not produce as nice of an image. I sent it back to amazon. Still getting a bit of ringing, which I absolutely hate. I am going to continue researching to see if I can get rid of it.
What are you using, a projector or TV?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am using a TV - LG 65" C8 Panel. I am really hoping it is not the display. I would have figured they would have worked things out with 4K OLED by this version. The fact that it improved seems to indicate that it is not the TV.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am using a TV - LG 65" C8 Panel. I am really hoping it is not the display. I would have figured they would have worked things out with 4K OLED by this version. The fact that it improved seems to indicate that it is not the TV.

What are you comparing your shield against? A PC with madVR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,777 Posts
Which one would you all recommend, RTX 2080 or an RTX 2070 Super for use with madVR?
These are extremely close. The 2070 super is the *far* better deal for the price. But if money is no object, the 2080 might be 3-10% better. But if money is no object, may as well go for a 2080 TI which will be better.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
OK guys, I’m about to take the “Red pill” and jump down the rabbit hole that is MadVR but I have a very quick question I need to ask before ordering the equipment to finish the PC.

Do you have to rip your movies to a hard drive to be able to use MadVR or can I still throw in a bluray into the player and connect to the PC by way of HDMI or do I need a bluray player in the PC itself to use the MadVR.

Excuse me if these questions sound stupid it’s just I’m not a computer nerd (far from it) and don’t want to waste money buying the wrong gear to then need to get the right stuff. Ideally if I can use the existing Bluray player would be preferable as don’t fancy the hassle of ripping all my discs on to a Naz server.

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
OK guys, I’m about to take the “Red pill” and jump down the rabbit hole that is MadVR but I have a very quick question I need to ask before ordering the equipment to finish the PC.

Do you have to rip your movies to a hard drive to be able to use MadVR or can I still throw in a bluray into the player and connect to the PC by way of HDMI or do I need a bluray player in the PC itself to use the MadVR.

Excuse me if these questions sound stupid it’s just I’m not a computer nerd (far from it) and don’t want to waste money buying the wrong gear to then need to get the right stuff. Ideally if I can use the existing Bluray player would be preferable as don’t fancy the hassle of ripping all my discs on to a Naz server.
See the first post in this thread, under “6. Optical Drive”.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
See the first post in this thread, under “6. Optical Drive”.
It’s looking like an internal 4K Bluray player in the UK is about £220.

4921 - 4940 of 5192 Posts