AVS Forum banner

5181 - 5200 of 5296 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
don't get a board with less then PCIe 3.0. if you want to use all available feature you will need PCIe bandwidth unlike games decoded videos a gigantic.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,725 Posts
It seems to me that trying to do madVR on an extremely limited budget would turn into an exercise in frustration.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
you are just getting feeded the wrong information like get a 3080 and other rubbish. there are a lot of happy user with a 1060 or equivalent a really not expensive card.

get a cheap ryzen 3 ~60 or even a 200ge a cheap b450 ~50 at least 8 gb ram ~50 a bootdisk ~50 a PSU ~50 and for the rest of the money a GPU.
"everything" in this system would be upgradable for a reasonable price.

or get a used system with PCIe 3.0

·
Registered
501 Posts

Looks like Nvidia is finally fixing HDR issues in MadVR with the latest driver

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,725 Posts
you are just getting feeded the wrong information like get a 3080 and other rubbish. there are a lot of happy user with a 1060 or equivalent a really not expensive card.

get a cheap ryzen 3 ~60 or even a 200ge a cheap b450 ~50 at least 8 gb ram ~50 a bootdisk ~50 a PSU ~50 and for the rest of the money a GPU.
"everything" in this system would be upgradable for a reasonable price.

or get a used system with PCIe 3.0
Well, every time someone asks about a potential super low budget PC in this thread, you and others shoot holes in it, such as needing PCEe 3.0 or the CPU is just too old. There’s also an awful lot of discussion in this thread that strongly suggests getting the higher end GPUs or else you won’t be able to get the potential of MadVR. I’m using a 1070 card with perfectly fine results, but that wasn’t exactly cheap when I bought it (though they’re a lot less now). But someone trying to spend less than $200 on a complete system certainly shouldn’t be expecting to get a great result.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,725 Posts
would it be better if i lie and say PCIe 2 is good investment?
Of course not, but don't then go disputing my statement about trying to do this on a super tight budget. A $150 system (without the video card) is going to struggle to run the software one would reasonably want to use with MadVR.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
system with PCIe are in the same price region hell the only reason this system is not PCIe 3 is the mainbaord in that system. PCIe 3 is 8 years old.
because my HTPC is currently a 3770K that is 8 years old.

and the biggest issue is i can do new "nearly" as good:

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,016 Posts
Of course not, but don't then go disputing my statement about trying to do this on a super tight budget. A $150 system (without the video card) is going to struggle to run the software one would reasonably want to use with MadVR.
The problem is "a tight budget" isn't a specific term. I'd consider $500 a tight budget. I consider $150 a cheapskate budget. You can do fine on a tight budget. If you're a complete cheapskate, forget it.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,725 Posts
The problem is "a tight budget" isn't a specific term. I'd consider $500 a tight budget. I consider $150 a cheapskate budget. You can do fine on a tight budget. If you're a complete cheapskate, forget it.
The context of the discussion was clearly talking about a $150 system, so "tight budget" was being clearly defined as being within that approximate price range. IMHO, you really can't put together a reasonable system that cheap, even without the video card in that budget. While @mightyhuhn seems hell-bent on trying to paint me as a fool for some reason, I stand by my statement which seems to ironically be backed up by him constantly shooting holes in proposed cheap systems as being insufficient. I wasn't even criticizing him for doing that as his objections to most of the proposed systems are usually correct - things like not having PCEe 3, the CPU being too old, etc.

So not only is trying to pull off usable MadVR system on a shoestring budget an exercise in frustration, so is posting in this thread.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,016 Posts
The context of the discussion was clearly talking about a $150 system, so "tight budget" was being clearly defined as being within that approximate price range. IMHO, you really can't put together a reasonable system that cheap, even without the video card in that budget. While @mightyhuhn seems hell-bent on trying to paint me as a fool for some reason, I stand by my statement which seems to ironically be backed up by him constantly shooting holes in proposed cheap systems as being insufficient. I wasn't even criticizing him for doing that as his objections to most of the proposed systems are usually correct - things like not having PCEe 3, the CPU being too old, etc.

So not only is trying to pull off usable MadVR system on a shoestring budget an exercise in frustration, so is posting in this thread.
You can do fine with madVR on a PCI Express 2.0 system. Yes, PCI Express 3 is beneficial, but I have run PCI Express 2.0 with a 1080ti for over a year and it ran great. You could probably buy a fairly cheap i5 / PCI E 2.0 / 8gb ram system for around $150 used off craigs list and a 1070 type video card used for $250 or so and be up and running for around $400 in this case with some pretty decent performance.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I tried placing my 1660ti into my MSI P45 platinum mobo (q9400 cpu) with a PCIE 2.0 slot. I have 16 gb of memory so according to the guide I should be good. Yet even 4K video stutters when paying through the movies app. I could install jriver and see if that helps. I am using windows 10 64 bit. Really frustrating as the same rig with a 550ti runs 1080p like a breeze upstairs but when I bring it down and swap the 550ti for the 1660 ti it will not run 4K smoothly. I originally had another card in the 2nd x16 slot and it was REALLY unstable, flickering and blinking off for 1-2 seconds every minute or so, but after I took that out the video was stable until I tried playing a movie.

This is really frustrating. I want to use a HTPC for the reasons mentioned in my post right above, but it only has worked smoothly in the 2070s on a ASRock x570 Pahntom Gaming X with a ryzen 3600x build, which overkill to a large degree over what should be necessary. I like being able to problem solve and try different solutions, but maybe the shield is the way to go. Unfortunately the shield also can be glitchy as it also flashes or blinks off ever so often. Like once of twice an hour, but sometimes not at all. The apps also seem to have problems. Last night I had trouble getting Prime content to play at all but when I tried upstairs with a HTPC though the internet site everything played fine.

I really wish it came with two HDMIs. Frankly, I wish everything came with 2 hdmis because that is the only way to get true lossless audio if you want to separate the TV from the receiver. I am not sure why optical a sdif are still being used as they do not offer true lossless audio as they did when much less was being sent over them. I am currently looking for splitter options so I can have the AVR just do audio and the TV do video. Any suggestions on a high quality one that will be able to do anything an HDMI 2.0b can do (10 bit, 4k, 60Hz, dolby vision, HDR 10) whether it be a single channel or multiple, I would appreciate it. Not only will this allow me to problem solve and isolate problems but I can also adjust settings on the x4400h without interrupting the video so I can make discrete adjustments to sound while my wife and child watch without noticing.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
I tried placing my 1660ti into my MSI P45 platinum mobo (q9400 cpu) with a PCIE 2.0 slot
Wow, that is an ancient but great little rig. I've got a P45 platinum & Q processor upstairs in a box somewhere.
It was early Gen2 PCIe, so there may be compatibilty issues with the newer cards.

PCIe Gen3 is supposed to be backwards compatible with PCIe Gen2, but it's not foolproof.

But there may be other reasons for studdering. Even an incorrect audio setup can cause studdering.
Here is a helpful post by Arcspin that got me past studdering on my PCIe gen3 system and 2060 Super card:

arcspin said:
In Nvidia Control panel and under manage 3D settings:
Change the Vertical sync to "ON".
Change the Power management mode to "Adaptive".

In madVR
Set (in madVR, under rendering - Windowed mode) present frames in advance to 1. (you can try other numbers as well, some have had good results with presenting 3 frames in advanced)

You can also try to disable (in madVR, rendering - general settings) use Direct3D 11 for presentation.

Try experimenting with queue sizes as well, I have had good results when increasing the CPU queue size to 24 and GPU queue size to 16.

The first three solved the micro stutter for me using a 2080 graphics card.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wow, that is an ancient but great little rig. I've got a P45 platinum & Q processor upstairs in a box somewhere.
It was early Gen2 PCIe, so there may be compatibilty issues with the newer cards.

PCIe Gen3 is supposed to be backwards compatible with PCIe Gen2, but it's not foolproof.

But there may be other reasons for studdering. Even an incorrect audio setup can cause studdering.
Here is a helpful post by Arcspin that got me past studdering on my PCIe gen3 system and 2060 Super card:
Thanks CZ Eddie!

I was hoping someone would reach out to give me a solution. I will try these solutions and get back to this thread.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Got all my parts, ready to build my first HTPC with MADVR View attachment 3041125
I have the same case and put an AeroCool CoolTouch-E Fan and Temperature Controller in the drive bay to control 3 x 120mm fans. Works great.

Reactions: SuperFist

·
Registered
9,016 Posts
I tried placing my 1660ti into my MSI P45 platinum mobo (q9400 cpu) with a PCIE 2.0 slot. I have 16 gb of memory so according to the guide I should be good. Yet even 4K video stutters when paying through the movies app. I could install jriver and see if that helps. I am using windows 10 64 bit. Really frustrating as the same rig with a 550ti runs 1080p like a breeze upstairs but when I bring it down and swap the 550ti for the 1660 ti it will not run 4K smoothly. I originally had another card in the 2nd x16 slot and it was REALLY unstable, flickering and blinking off for 1-2 seconds every minute or so, but after I took that out the video was stable until I tried playing a movie.
Start with MPC-HC, not the movies app. How is LAV filters video decoder configured? This is a madVR thread, are you even using madVR? If so, post your CTRL+J screen. I doubt your'e using madVR in the movies app so lets start with a known entity.

Your nvidia shield video flashing issue is probably your HDMI cable. Also out of scope of this thread, though.

5181 - 5200 of 5296 Posts