AVS Forum banner

5241 - 5260 of 5303 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Right. I see no problem with Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer. It works perfect with all my media.
My only beef with 17.7, is that the delay start for refresh rates doesn't work. I get about a 5-8 second black screen with audio, while refresh rates are switching.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
My main beef with Kodi DSPlayer is it doesn't play my media at all. When I press play, nothing happens. I prefer and use iso's so I use state-of-the-art official Kodi builds with state-of-the-art external players and don't have that problem. Mainly MPC-BE with madVr and LAV Filters so that my high quality iso's playback at the highest quality. AFAIK, MPC-HC is no longer developed for years now. Someone took it over but all he does is update the LAV Filters component as they become available - something I do myself without the need to d/l the player again. I also like interacting with my iso rip since it contains everything the original disc offers. Sadly, DSPlayer can't handle that either so I prefer other players that can. For those that prefer to alter their source so it plays in a player that can't handle full iso rips, none of this would apply. Personally, I leave the source untouched and if a player can't handle it... I use one that does. This isn't to say either is superior. It's a matter of preference and each has its upsides and downsides. Which upsides and downsides matter to a user is what makes us unique.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
AFAIK, MPC-HC is no longer developed for years now. Someone took it over but all he does is update the LAV Filters component as they become available - something I do myself without the need to d/l the player again.
Not entirely accurate.....he is also updating the app itself if you read the version logs. He has fixed numerous bugs that were outstanding and fixed a few that I suggested when it came to subs.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Not entirely accurate.....he is also updating the app itself if you read the version logs. He has fixed numerous bugs that were outstanding and fixed a few that I suggested when it came to subs.

Yeah, no idea why people think it’s abandoned or not supported.

It receives lots of updates regularly which even add features and fix bugs etc.

You can certainly see that from the changelogs there.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Yes, and here is the changelog for MPC-BE. I'm sure you can see the difference in attention between the two.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Not arguing that MPC-BE is getting a lot more updates. Different developers.

Personally, I could not get MPC-BE to be 100% reliable with MadVR while even the older MPC-HC was rock solid. The newer one is even better. Yes, MPC-BE has more features but I believe (just a theory) that this is why MadVR is not running as efficient....just like Kodi/DSPLayer 17.7 which I also find is not as efficient (yes, the GUI was fixed but I rather have a smooth MadVR workflow).

·
Registered
5,722 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Not trying to be biased or misleading. For instance, neither MPC-HC or MPC-BE plays all titles correctly. Sometimes neither assumes the correct playlist and without multiple manual navigations, they never will play the title back. Fury (2014) is an example if you happen to have ripped that particular title to iso and tried to play it back.

Fwiw, I use HC and BE depending on the circumstance I prefer to default them. I have never noticed a difference in madVr reliability. How you developed your "theory" is unknown to me?

Does "Same here" mean you are not using iso's and instead have stripped your source down to something that is actually compatible with DSP such as an mkv?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Ahhhh, that explains it. I have given up on ISOs and BDMV ages ago. Everything gets remuxed to MKV with manually edited subs (flags). I got tired of banging my head against the keyboard trying to figure out why certain titles were not working, the wrong subs (or no subs at all) played, or the subs were outside the active area for scope.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I simply added this to LAV Filter Splitter advanced mode - eng:eng|f; eng: off;*:eng

Remove the spaces if you try it. This site wants to add an icon instead of the actual code.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Here is how my setup flows using Kodi 18.8 with the latest external player(s) releases fwiw. As an example, for MPC-BE:

In my Kodi library I press enter on a title. BE takes focus and playback begins.

At this point I make a decision: Do nothing and let forced subs default and play. Or, when guests who are hard of hearing prefer full subs, I intervene by pressing 'menu' on my remote. I scroll down to subtitles and select the full sub which is one of many offered. Full subs play as do the forced subs for foreign languages.

When the title is finished, the player auto closes and Kodi is in full focus again ready for the next interaction.

Sometimes, I prefer custom subs that were not offered on the disc. I visit subscene and d/l one of the custom subs - usually for foreign spoken words that were omitted for some reason. When I rip, I include the .srt as part of the rip. Then it is defaulted during playback. I can also place the .srt next to the title without ripping it in to the iso. This requires a little more navigation when selecting 'external subtitle' from an MPC GUI though. It could also be placed into any folder if desired incl a common folder for all subs for all titles.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Here is how my setup flows using Kodi 18.8 with the latest external player(s) releases fwiw. As an example, for MPC-BE:

In my Kodi library I press enter on a title. BE takes focus and playback begins.

At this point I make a decision: Do nothing and let forced subs default and play. Or, when guests who are hard of hearing prefer full subs, I intervene by pressing 'menu' on my remote. I scroll down to subtitles and select the full sub which is one of many offered. Full subs play as do the forced subs for foreign languages.

When the title is finished, the player auto closes and Kodi is in full focus again ready for the next interaction.

Sometimes, I prefer custom subs that were not offered on the disc. I visit subscene and d/l one of the custom subs - usually for foreign spoken words that were omitted for some reason. When I rip, I include the .srt as part of the rip. Then it is defaulted during playback. I can also place the .srt next to the title without ripping it in to the iso. This requires a little more navigation when selecting 'external subtitle' from an MPC GUI though. It could also be placed into any folder if desired incl a common folder for all subs for all titles.
How do you tell Kodi 18.8 to use an external player?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
How do you tell Kodi 18.8 to use an external player?
It's very simple. Create a playercorefactory.xml.
Navigate to C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata.
Right click/New/Text document.
Once you've edited in your preferences, save it.
Lastly, rename it and change the .txt file extension to .xml instead. It should be playercorefactory.xml exactly (not playercorefactory.xml.txt)

Fwiw, here is mine:

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="PowerDVD" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Users\DAN\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\PDVD.bat</filename>
<playcountminimumtime>30</playcountminimumtime>
</player>
<player name="DVDFab 3" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\DVDFab Media Player 3\FabPlayer.exe</filename>
</player>
<player name="DVDFab 5" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\DVDFab Player 5\DVDFab Player 5.exe</filename>
</player>
<player name="DVDFab 6" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\DVDFab Player 6\DVDFab Player 6.exe</filename>
</player>
<player name="MPC-BE" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Users\DAN\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\MPCBE.bat</filename>
</player>
<player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Users\DAN\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\MPCHC.bat</filename>
</player>
<player name="PotPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files\DAUM\PotPlayer\PotPlayerMini64.exe</filename>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filename=".HDR10.|.HDR.|.hdr.|.2160p." player="MPC-BE"/>
<rule filetypes="iso|bdmv|mpls|m2ts|mkv" player="MPC-BE"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

This is defaulted to use MPC-BE for just about everything as you see in <rule filetypes
Some file extensions I prefer the Kodi internal VideoPlayer be defaulted to such as .mp4, .avi, etc.
These defaults can be overridden at any time by simply pressing menu from a remote control or C on a keyboard while focused on a title in the Kodi library. This brings up the 'Play Using' context menu in Kodi. Within that are all the players you have listed in your PCF.xml and you simply select which you want to use and that player opens instead of what you defaulted should you desire another player.

For example. When I review my iso rip and want to interact with the entire disc, I select one of the DVDFab players (depending on what the disc is - 3D, HDR, SDR, etc.). I may select PowerDVD again depending on the title. All players fill the voids of others. Other times when I'm not going to interact with the disc and just want the meat and potatoes, I just let it default to MPC-BE. Still other times I might desire MPC-HC because I use different player settings between BE and HC. Perhaps some of you have noticed some titles are processed from the studio brighter or darker than others? It comes in handy having different adjustments amongst players. Most of the time I use the mapped remote control gamma setting in madVr for that though.

Other details can be found in the link in my sig fwiw.

·
Registered
797 Posts
i am wondering if i can put 2 gpu into the system but one of the gpu on madvr and other gpu is doing something else like mining or not. Or Madvr will use both gpu for it.

·
Registered
29 Posts

I have the exact same setup. My Logitech Harmony remote is mapped to a number of MPC-BE functions (subs, rendering stats, etc.) for a seamless experience. Some select files I prefer to play via Kodi's internal player which is automated with playcorefactory.xml. Couple that with individually set up 1080p and 2160p madVR profiles that automatically load depending on source file, and I get the best possible outcome.

PS: Good to see you here. It's Cinephile from the Kodi forums.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
@brazen1 @Thornback -- Are there any add-ons to help automate the process of selecting an external player, or does this all need to be done manually?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I have the exact same setup. My Logitech Harmony remote is mapped to a number of MPC-BE functions (subs, rendering stats, etc.) for a seamless experience. Some select files I prefer to play via Kodi's internal player which is automated with playcorefactory.xml. Couple that with individually set up 1080p and 2160p madVR profiles that automatically load depending on source file, and I get the best possible outcome.
Yes. I don't think anyone wants to open a trailer for example with anything except the Kodi internal VideoPlayer.

My Harmony 900 is also mapped for commands using hard and soft buttons. I find it easiest to map the soft buttons because you can label them and they are plentiful. For hard buttons I spent a lot of time figuring out common map codes between all the different players. For example: Instead of having multiple mapped codes for "menu" for each player, I found a code common to all/most of them. Then I simply use the 'menu' hard button and they all react to it depending what is in focus. This way the Kodi menu doesn't open when MPC-BE is in focus. Only the menu for MPC-BE does. Likewise, when Kodi is in focus, pressing 'menu' opens the Kodi context menu as it should. I listed them long ago in my thread in the link provided in my sig for anyone interested.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
@brazen1 @Thornback -- Are there any add-ons to help automate the process of selecting an external player, or does this all need to be done manually?
There is nothing in my system environment that isn't 100% completely automated and I have a lot of hardware and software diversity incorporated. Automation is and has always been my first objective above and beyond anything else. This way, anyone can pick up my one single remote control and entertain themselves no matter what the activity is that they desire. As I wrote earlier, you can edit defaults any way your heart desires. That is the only manual input you will ever do. It's set and forget. From there it is completely automatic. As I also wrote, at anytime you'd like to override what you defaulted, you simply do it within the Kodi GUI with a couple button presses. Should you desire to change your original defaults to something you've grown to prefer, simply edit your PCF.xml. The same can be said for GPU drivers... or madVr settings you change as you learn and become more comfortable so editing a PCF.xml is hardly an inconvenience. For myself, I find myself fidgeting less and less as everything becomes optimized.

Using external players via Kodi and its PCF.xml, you have the flexibility to default a certain player for a certain title. You can assign these by file extension and/or naming conventions. That is why <rule filename= and <rule filetypes= are provided. The sky's the limit.

If you are looking for something to 'build' your HTPC for you, I know of nothing other than guides some of us create to help others. In my experience, you get as much out of something as you put into it. My suggestion, if you are not familiar with 'things'... continue using what you use and live with what it does and doesn't do. If you're like me, seek guides to get you started so that you at least know what can and can't be done depending on your ambition level.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
So it seems that MPC-BE is recommended over MPC-HC. What version of MPC-BE do you recommend? The latest nightly or the 1.5.5 stable build (5433)? This has piqued my interest.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I wouldn't say one or the other is recommended. I use both and it depends on the circumstance I make the decision. Using both, I leaned toward one and use it as my default. That said, there are times I prefer the other and select it within the Kodi GUI instead of allowing it to default to the other. As for versions... with all software (O/S excluded) I use nightlies and betas. If I find something is unstable or broken, I revert to the official release. Many times the betas and/or nightlies address issues we would otherwise wait days, weeks, or months for. This also provides a feedback avenue the developer NEEDs to finalize/repair/consider/etc. This is why they are released. When a user tests and reports all is well, this is probably exactly true. But, another might test and find bugs. All the different unique uses amass to hints for the developer. I would think that if you diversely check a beta against your usage, it's safe to use. If you're not one to check the diversity of your system, don't use betas. This way you aren't unpleasantly surprised at the exact moment you wouldn't want any problem to appear and tell yourself... and anyone rolling their eyes at you... that you didn't check something and to please forgive you. Yes, I've been there done that.

5241 - 5260 of 5303 Posts