AVS Forum banner

5261 - 5280 of 5303 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes. I don't think anyone wants to open a trailer for example with anything except the Kodi internal VideoPlayer.

My Harmony 900 is also mapped for commands using hard and soft buttons. I find it easiest to map the soft buttons because you can label them and they are plentiful. For hard buttons I spent a lot of time figuring out common map codes between all the different players. For example: Instead of having multiple mapped codes for "menu" for each player, I found a code common to all/most of them. Then I simply use the 'menu' hard button and they all react to it depending what is in focus. This way the Kodi menu doesn't open when MPC-BE is in focus. Only the menu for MPC-BE does. Likewise, when Kodi is in focus, pressing 'menu' opens the Kodi context menu as it should. I listed them long ago in my thread in the link provided in my sig for anyone interested.
Funny that you mention that, I thought the same until I discovered various websites offering remuxed trailers for hundreds of movies with lossless video and/or audio streams. I since decided to have Kodi play these with MPC-BE for highest possible quality.

I really should experiment with soft button mapping as I tend to forget what some of the physical buttons do after a while of inactivity..

Reactions: brazen1

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Ha! Well there you go. We're all unique. It's nice to have choices. Choices that might not be available using other methods and things. Soft buttons are the way to go for niche settings because you can label them. Hard buttons should stay reserved for the words/icons/indicators/universal symbols they represent and why finding common code was essential to me. Fwiw, soft buttons using a Harmony not only label. They support symbols too in case you associate with symbols easier than words.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So it seems that MPC-BE is recommended over MPC-HC. What version of MPC-BE do you recommend? The latest nightly or the 1.5.5 stable build (5433)? This has piqued my interest.
I choose to run MPC-BE cos it has allot more Dev attention over MPC-HC, but Im sure MPC-HC is just fine too. :) There's allot of misleading info out there making the Developer, CLSID, more challenged to attract users cos an example Home · MPC-HC (what used to be the main non SVN website for the project) says "MPC-HC is not under development since 2017. Please switch to something else." CLSID forked the project when he took over but it seems a bit of a knife from the old Team to throw him under the bus like this ongoing.

I run the nightly x64 installer builds, havent had any serious regressions yet

I also run the nightlies of LAV Filters, but thats more like weeklies or monthlies as syncing to what are round the clock updates in libavcodec from ffmpeg, seems to happen more weekly or monthly. Its basically using libavformat and making it into direct show filters. Would be interesting to see if they ever move up to media foundation.

With external LAV Filters, I just disable all internal MPC-BE filters and set priority to the LAV Filters external.

Ive had zero problems with MPC-BE and MadVR. We all feel the problem of no code in 24 months, but hey, fingers crossed on MadVR. Its closed source so I really hope it has a future.

I think us enthusiasts all kinda nerd out and spend heaps of time on madvr and all this stuff, doing profiles, tweaking, full nerd out :) I ask my Lady if she can A or B the difference, its subtle sometimes, but it is there in image quality over alternatives. I hope MadVR continues. Ahh well, I for one, find it fun to get right into digital video and home theatre :)

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,067 Posts
Will MadVR work with the newest version of Kodi, if we use an external player like MPC-HC?
Yes, I've always used zoom player as my external player.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have stronger GPU then you can try to bump up certain profile settings.
I created this to show off what an old GPU can do with madvr, when we utilize its profile capability. :)
Tell me what exactly and where in the MadVR settings you can try to change. My PC: i5, 1080gtx, 16Gb, Win10, Lav+MadVR. TV 4k Panasonic tx-55cx700

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
I simply added this to LAV Filter Splitter advanced mode - eng:eng|f; eng: off;*:eng

Remove the spaces if you try it. This site wants to add an icon instead of the actual code.
You can just use the code tag to prevent emoticons.
Should it look like this?
Code:
eng:eng|f;eng:off;*:eng

·
Registered
823 Posts
* Highlight comments made by Madshi over on Doom9 re the combination of NGU and then SuperRes. NGU, along with double and quadruple image scaling, then ontop SuperRes, just wow. Try it guys. Especially for quadruple sources with SuperRes set to each 2x scale. Madshi makes his own comments and provides screenshots, I couldnt agree more with his recommendations on these two for scaling and post processing. For DVD and BluRay content, onto 4K displays, I don't need anything else Im finding.
I'm not sure which comment of his you are referring to, but his latest comments (~2 and a half years old :) ) are like this:
"SuperRes is mainly useful for faster algos with low quality. If you're already using NGU, there's usually no reason to use SuperRes. For chroma it's probably not overly useful, anyway. I wouldn't bother with SuperRes for chroma, to be honest."

I quickly tried it with 1080p on 4k screen with NGU Sharp High and I didn't notice any difference :)
Take a look at my config instead if you are interested.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Tell me what exactly and where in the MadVR settings you can try to change. My PC: i5, 1080gtx, 16Gb, Win10, Lav+MadVR. TV 4k Panasonic tx-55cx700
Just try to bump up:
- the NGU Sharp algos quality under image uspcaling and chroma upscaling (at last)

·
Registered
21 Posts
es. For chroma it's probably not overly useful, anyway. I wouldn't bother with SuperRes for chroma, to be h
Cheers mate,

1. Yeah, bit of a worry how much the bloke is putting into his Envy product and zero new code for MadVR in 24 months. Heck, even if he charged a reasonable fee Id probably pay it for a software solution.
2. Appreciate you sharing additional comments from him. I agree that luma is priority over the chroma stuff.
3. As to what post processing is best, I can see your into edge and detail options over SuperRes, Ill give it a try. Im always interested in trying to optimise it best, as you too are mate. Youve gone further than me with profile structure, good to see. Im currently getting across how to best optmise my BluRay content over others, so mainly focused on greatness with [email protected] HEVC high bitrate source at the moment. I run an 86" LED display,, Ive got MadVR set to change refresh rates based on content being played.

Appreciate you sharing your experiences and insights

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Cheers mate,

1. Yeah, bit of a worry how much the bloke is putting into his Envy product and zero new code for MadVR in 24 months. Heck, even if he charged a reasonable fee Id probably pay it for a software solution.
2. Appreciate you sharing additional comments from him. I agree that luma is priority over the chroma stuff.
3. As to what post processing is best, I can see your into edge and detail options over SuperRes, Ill give it a try. Im always interested in trying to optimise it best, as you too are mate. Youve gone further than me with profile structure, good to see. Im currently getting across how to best optmise my BluRay content over others, so mainly focused on greatness with [email protected] HEVC high bitrate source at the moment. I run an 86" LED display,, Ive got MadVR set to change refresh rates based on content being played.

Appreciate you sharing your experiences and insights
Envy isn’t launched yet...

It’s a year late from their original release date.

So of course he must spend time getting it launched.

He spent the first 10 years developing madVR for $0. He wouldn’t even take donations.

I think he can spend the time to get his sole product launched and in a good state before worrying about going back to PC madVR development.

PC madVR doesn’t need any updates right now. Everything is working great still on latest Windows, latest drivers, latest GPUs.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Something has changed on my system and I can’t figure it out. You’ll see the rendering time at the bottom at 200+ms. One day it’s playing movies great next day it does this. Can anyone help

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,067 Posts

Something has changed on my system and I can’t figure it out. You’ll see the rendering time at the bottom at 200+ms. One day it’s playing movies great next day it does this. Can anyone help
Your upload queue is low. Perhaps you're not reading the file fast enough off disk. You on wifi or 100mbit network?

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
Network, but this is a downloaded movie.
Downloaded to where? And "network" doesn't answer anything. "Network" is a technology that includes wifi, wired, ethernet, etc.

·
Registered
823 Posts
What's your video card and what mode do you use in Lav Video filter (dxva2-copyback, d3d11-native, etc)?
Your madvr settings just too high to handle this.

·
Registered
408 Posts
and there it is!! swapping out the 1080Ti tonight, curious to see how it performs with Billy Lynn / Gemini Man 4K/60

So any news on MadVR performance?

Did I miss it, I think I'm following all the relevant threads...

·
Registered
172 Posts
What's your video card and what mode do you use in Lav Video filter (dxva2-copyback, d3d11-native, etc)?
Your madvr settings just too high to handle this.
Gpu is a sapphire nitro plus rx580 and my video filter is dxva2-copy to copy. My settings haven’t change. This only started like 5 days ago. Something in my system is causing my render queue and upload queue to not fill up

5261 - 5280 of 5303 Posts