AVS Forum banner

5281 - 5300 of 5303 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
this program: TechPowerUp
you go to sensors.
to make a screenshoot you press alt +print.
open paint or equivalent program.
press control +v.
save the image.
upload it.

there are other ways to do that but that one works with "every" windows PC.

edit: make sure the video is running in the back ground there is no point of this if the GPU isn't used.

·
Registered
172 Posts
this program: TechPowerUp
you go to sensors.
to make a screenshoot you press alt +print.
open paint or equivalent program.
press control +v.
save the image.
upload it.

there are other ways to do that but that one works with "every" windows PC.

edit: make sure the video is running in the back ground there is no point of this if the GPU isn't used.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Start with MPC-HC, not the movies app. How is LAV filters video decoder configured? This is a madVR thread, are you even using madVR? If so, post your CTRL+J screen. I doubt your'e using madVR in the movies app so lets start with a known entity.

Your nvidia shield video flashing issue is probably your HDMI cable. Also out of scope of this thread, though.
Sorry, I did not receive a notification. I was just testing it before installing madVR but this machine was built specifically for madVR. I tired many different cables, all being 48 gbps cables. I will try again using JRiver and report back. I do think the problem was with the movies app. I can't phathom why I did not try another player. I believe I was in a rush trying to decide if I wa goint to keep the shield, which I did.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
well you placed the mouse at the most important part.
the video engine is missing (also cald UVD not sure about the name on polaris).

there are 2 instances loaded with vsfilter/subfilter you should investigate this.
check the CPU load too.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I have the exact same setup. My Logitech Harmony remote is mapped to a number of MPC-BE functions (subs, rendering stats, etc.) for a seamless experience.
Which harmony remote are you using or recommend? I think I may need one to make everything as easy as possible for the better half / WAF.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I wouldn't say one or the other is recommended. I use both and it depends on the circumstance I make the decision. Using both, I leaned toward one and use it as my default.
I've opted for MPC-BE. When used by itself, it's working perfectly with madVR and the latest LAV filters. When used as the external player for KODI, however, I get the occasional stutter from dropped/repeated frames. Any tips you'd recommend, either on the KODI or MPC-BE side, to try and get this playing 100% smooth?

Also, some of my files are streaming via an FTP server video source set up in KODI. Seems like neither MPC-BE and MPC-HC play nicely with files from an FTP video source. Know of any tweaks that could improve this? I've searched and am at a loss.

Thanks in advance!👍

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I've opted for MPC-BE. When used by itself, it's working perfectly with madVR and the latest LAV filters. When used as the external player for KODI, however, I get the occasional stutter from dropped/repeated frames. Any tips you'd recommend, either on the KODI or MPC-BE side, to try and get this playing 100% smooth?

Also, some of my files are streaming via an FTP server video source set up in KODI. Seems like neither MPC-BE and MPC-HC play nicely with files from an FTP video source. Know of any tweaks that could improve this? I've searched and am at a loss.

Thanks in advance!👍
I use both MPC players as well as others including madVr with LAV Filters. I use the players solo and mostly launched externally from Kodi official versions - 18.8 at the moment. Everything plays smooth as butter with zero stutter, frame drops or anything else - this with a GTX960 4GB & 456.71 nVidia drivers with the recently improved AV timings. The sources include every diverse title you can think of including those that you can't available from test files only because some are uncommon.

If your titles play fine solo but stutter when a player such as BE is launched from a front end like Kodi, then you must be at the fringe of available resources from your GPU and the front end graphics are eating that last bit causing the player to wobble occasionally. I will say I use massive animated artwork in Kodi which increases GPU resources more than the average user not using gifs. That said, when Kodi isn't in focus and only the external player is, I doubt the extra power used from the GPU to render those gifs is in play anymore but I haven't tested to see because I have no problems. Kodi shouldn't be affecting anything to do with an external player especially being a culprit of poor playback. All Kodi is doing... is launching the external player. Of course there may be some Gremlin affecting the external player when using an unofficial version of Kodi like a hidden conflict.

If I was you, I'd test using the KISS method to find your culprits.

Install nVidia 456.71. Set the drivers to 'adaptive'. Set PhysX to your GPU and not your CPU even though this mainly affects gaming. RGB Full at your native desktop resolution at 60Hz. Turn off inverse telecine. Don't use reclock or any other unnecessary software thrown into the chain. Allow madVr to auto change refresh rates you have entered. Use default LAV Filter settings enabling high bitrate audios. Setup all 3 filters in your player(s) as 'preferred' after selecting and adding them and turn off the default player selections.

Streaming your titles could of course also cause poor playback because of a bandwidth problem especially with high bitrate modern sources. I use local playback only so I can't comment on your specific streaming setup problem. Copy a known problem title local and play it back now that your network streaming is eliminated.

Rename your current Kodi install so you can install another simply or install a portable OFFICIAL Kodi, setup your pcf.xml, point to a source you knows flounders and try it to see if it's indeed Kodi or not. Use Kodi 'display mode' in fullscreen and check 'use a fullscreen window'. Don't whitelist anything. This so we know Kodi isn't stealing any of the show while BE is in focus.

I simply passthrough HDR with madVr because I don't need to fake HDR by tone mapping it with the display I use. Passthrough is MUCH less GPU intensive. Try saving your current madVr .bin and try passing through madVr to see if that's the culprit. Make sure FSE is not enabled. Don't use smooth motion.

There are many other things that could affect poor playback. I'd start with these so you can at least self diagnose and pinpoint who is the upstream murderer and sleuth from there. Good luck.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Good stuff brazen, every first time user should read that post.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Which harmony remote are you using or recommend? I think I may need one to make everything as easy as possible for the better half / WAF.
I'm using the Harmony Ultimate which works perfectly fine. Although if you're in the market for a new one then I'd probably indulge and get the Elite. You get so much use out of it over the years that's it worth it in my eyes.

Per your other post about dropped frames in madVR, have you checked the render queues? Do any of them not fill up correctly? How many frames are we talking? Ensure that exclusive fullscreen mode is disbaled in madVR settings if running Windows 10.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,
I 'm sure that my question is often asked in this thread, but more than 5200 post to read is to much, I think to find the right answer.
Therefore please say what AMD Card is the minimum card I need for using MadVR HDR with my computer.
I know a rx 5700xt seems to be ok but is it also possible to use an older one like 580 rx or 590rx?
Or what AMD card you would recommend?
A nvidia is not possible for me as I use two projectors for one screen (edge blending). So I need an AMD card with eyefinity and free adjustment of refresh rate like 47.952 hz.

Thanks for your help.
didaschi

·
Registered
316 Posts
Any recommendations on the new generation of GPUs? I have an Asus 3080 OC on order that should be with my in a couple of weeks but I'm considering cancelling and going for the new AMDs. Are there advantages to one manufacturer over the other? I use madvr in JRiver with both 1080 and 4k content (no 3d) on a projector. I've been using the 113 beta for quite a while with all the tone mapping goodness.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Since @madshi is using nVidia GPUs for Envy I'd say it's probably best to use nVidia for madVR imho.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yup, I get that, and it's why I bought a 3080 as I believe that's what's going into the Envy. I'm just wondering if there's anything about the RTX cores or the nvidia architecture in particular that MadVR takes advantage of. I'm guessing the NN processing will perform better on the nvidia cards, but I wondered if anyone knew for sure.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Yup, I get that, and it's why I bought a 3080 as I believe that's what's going into the Envy. I'm just wondering if there's anything about the RTX cores or the nvidia architecture in particular that MadVR takes advantage of. I'm guessing the NN processing will perform better on the nvidia cards, but I wondered if anyone knew for sure.
Nothing specific yet.

NGU does appear to run more efficiently on nVidia GPUs though.

It's possible in the future some algorithm may use the RT or Tensor cores.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am presently playing blu ray MKV rips on my pc using mpc hc and Madvr. I purchased a 4k tv and want to play uhd discs/rips. Any thoughts on going the uhd friendly drive route vs purchasing a uhd stand alone player in terms of ease of use and quality of video audio playback?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
5281 - 5300 of 5303 Posts