AVS Forum banner

5581 - 5600 of 5650 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
By the looks of it, this is an interlaced HD DVD playing back at 29.969. That's normal for some content, like concerts, documentaries, etc. Looks also like you now have the LAV video decoder set to D3D11 native (at least for VC-1 and HEVC, going by your screenshots). That disables de-interlacing in madVR. Uncheck VC-1 and you should be set.
That fixed it thanks. Is D3D11 or copy back better? I think I have enough headroom for either now?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Use D3D11, but instead of 'automatic' select the video card in the drop down menu in LAV. That will change the decoding from native to copy-back.

·
Registered
815 Posts
If I remember correctly, the other copy-back (DVXA2?) is slightly faster than D3D11 for copyback purposes. But I think it is within a ms or two.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Use D3D11, but instead of 'automatic' select the video card in the drop down menu in LAV. That will change the decoding from native to copy-back.
Still not right now it shows HDDVD @ 60fps and doesn't IVTC to 24?

Blu Ray and UHD no problem 24p but they at native anyway.

Is there an option for IVTC 60i to 24p?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
60 is correct in this case. You're watching interlaced 30fps content.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Which HD DVD are you watching?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
And they're all movies encoded at 30fps? That doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
why are you wondering about this?
they are just treated like DVD back in the day.
i can't even find a spec where it clearly says that it supports progressive 1080p streams at all.
the wiki says so but the wiki also says that DVD can be progressive which is not really wrong or true but mpeg1 240p stream where even on DVD rare...
so the question now is are they soft telecine (progressive), telecine, 30p or did the guy creating them just played with his cat.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I have several HD DVDs, and they're nothing like DVDs. They're encoded just like a movie would be on Blu-ray. That's why I asked if they were actually movies, and not concerts or docus or, god forbid, TV movies ;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Forcing film mode seems to work, guess I need to figure out how to set a profile for interlaced content.
What I did was remux all my HDDVDs with TS muxer to remove the pulldown flag. Almost all HDDVDs are really a 24p (or 23.976) encode with 3:2 pulldown signalled. I think I had one that was really 29.976 with hard coded 3:2 pulldown and had to stay like that.

Reactions: SuperFist

·
Registered
264 Posts
What I did was remux all my HDDVDs with TS muxer to remove the pulldown flag. Almost all HDDVDs are really a 24p (or 23.976) encode with 3:2 pulldown signalled. I think I had one that was really 29.976 with hard coded 3:2 pulldown and had to stay like that.
That sounds like the best solution. The more I think about it forcing film mode fails if I want to watch a concert or other 60p native source. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
you can try soemthing different before lavfilter doesn't use ffmpeg for VC-1 but the dmo instead you can try to disable that decoder in lavfilter so ffmpeg is used instead because the microsoft decoder take soft telecine flags really really serious ffmpeg output these flag usual as progressive.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Anyone have any settings advice for DVD rips? I know garbage in / garbage out but is there anyway to make something out of them? NGU Sharp seems to add a lot of artifacts and garbage.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,563 Posts
I am about to swap a 1080ti for a 3090 and I am just curious what % improvement something like that actually is. I guess I can make note of render times for some files now and see how that changes without changing any of the settings.
I went from a 1080TI to a 3090. It's hard to say what your benefit will be because it depends on what settings you use and what content you play. I do mostly upscaling with several post processing filters. My 1080ti did fine in the 30's render times. My 3090 is under 20 with same settings.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I went from a 1080TI to a 3090. It's hard to say what your benefit will be because it depends on what settings you use and what content you play. I do mostly upscaling with several post processing filters. My 1080ti did fine in the 30's render times. My 3090 is under 20 with same settings.
Basically same results so far.

I am getting some whine I think from PSU at video start or menus sometimes. Would undervolting help? Looks like the max wattage the card has pulled so far is about 323w. I have a brand new EVGA GQ 850w PSU.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,563 Posts
Here are my 1080ti settings for 1080p to 2160p24, no enhancements at all playing Phantasm Blu Ray rip sitting at 35-36ms rendering time which leaves little room for anything else. Note I have dithering on option 2 and switching to ordered saves me maybe 1ms.

I will see what a 3090 does at same settings.

Very nice. Yep, I had similar settings as you. I always use error diffusion 2 I think it produces the cleanest image. Others think it has no impact, that's fine. It's definitely not worse. I run similar settings to you on my 3090 but with some enhance detail, sharpen edges and add grain. I also have anti ring filter and render times under 20. I think they're around 14 but I'd have to verify to be sure.

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
Basically same results so far.

I am getting some whine I think from PSU at video start or menus sometimes. Would undervolting help? Looks like the max wattage the card has pulled so far is about 323w. I have a brand new EVGA GQ 850w PSU.
When you said whine, do you mean audible squeeling? Is it coming out of the PC case or out of the speakers or both? I had this on my 1080ti but not my 3090. It was hard to manage but I eventually solved it. It was coming both out of my case and my speakers and when I was done, it was only coming out of my case never my speakers. I think the last thing I had to do to get rid of it was to unplug the usb cable from the pc to the inuke 3000dsp and unground all the components except the AVR. I was able to reground everything on the 3090 since it currently has no whine. Hopefully I'm never dealing with that again.

5581 - 5600 of 5650 Posts