AVS Forum banner

5601 - 5620 of 5650 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,563 Posts
Ok so I got the 3090 squeezed into my Silverstone HTPC case. Pcpartpicker says it fits and I guess it kind of sort of does pretty much.

Anyway same movie, same PC, same settings:

1080ti
35-36ms

17-18ms
Maxed out at 54% utilization and 54c temp after a few minutes of playback.

So at least for me on my system / settings approx 50% performance gain. I will see how other settings affect it.
That's awesome. That 3090 is about 2x as fast for your needs. The interesting thing on that 3090 is that I can crank up other options just for test (that I dont care about) and there seems to be no impact in render time at all. So I assume I'm rendering at those speeds without being 100% GPU useage.

·
Registered
264 Posts
When you said whine, do you mean audible squeeling? Is it coming out of the PC case or out of the speakers or both? I had this on my 1080ti but not my 3090. It was hard to manage but I eventually solved it. It was coming both out of my case and my speakers and when I was done, it was only coming out of my case never my speakers. I think the last thing I had to do to get rid of it was to unplug the usb cable from the pc to the inuke 3000dsp and unground all the components except the AVR. I was able to reground everything on the 3090 since it currently has no whine. Hopefully I'm never dealing with that again.
I am pretty certain its the PSU and doesn't go to the speakers (whatever it is cannot be heard over a film playing). It happens when the card ramps up, I can make it happen if I just add a bunch of settings to push render times to 27ms or so. As long as I use my desired settings the whine is only there for a second when video starts playing or if I am adjusting MadVR settings and goes away within 1-2 seconds of the film starting. I assume its just a drastic power grab from the GPU that I can hopefully turn down somehow?

·
Registered
264 Posts
That's awesome. That 3090 is about 2x as fast for your needs. The interesting thing on that 3090 is that I can crank up other options just for test (that I dont care about) and there seems to be no impact in render time at all. So I assume I'm rendering at those speeds without being 100% GPU useage.
Yeah it just sucks that we can't just order a GPU, I had to take what I could find. If there were 3080's available at MSRP I would have gotten that. Seems like 3080s are selling for 3090 MSRP so why not just get a 3090 if you find one.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,563 Posts
I am pretty certain its the PSU and doesn't go to the speakers (whatever it is cannot be heard over a film playing). It happens when the card ramps up, I can make it happen if I just add a bunch of settings to push render times to 27ms or so. As long as I use my desired settings the whine is only there for a second when video starts playing or if I am adjusting MadVR settings and goes away within 1-2 seconds of the film starting. I assume its just a drastic power grab from the GPU that I can hopefully turn down somehow?
I'd verify this. If you start a movie and stand with your ear to the speaker do you hear it? If so, you will hear it many times when you dont want to. If it's just coming out of the PC I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'd verify this. If you start a movie and stand with your ear to the speaker do you hear it? If so, you will hear it many times when you dont want to. If it's just coming out of the PC I wouldn't worry about it.
I thought it was you who had the 3090 but I wasn't positive.

You had also developed the "madvr settings that mimic reality creation" right? The only link I found to those was to a Flickr album that no longer exists. Any chance you still have them? I've just been curious to see what they look like

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
I thought it was you who had the 3090 but I wasn't positive.

You had also developed the "madvr settings that mimic reality creation" right? The only link I found to those was to a Flickr album that no longer exists. Any chance you still have them? I've just been curious to see what they look like
Yea, I own a 3090 now. And yea, these settings were basically what I used on my RS640 to mimic the benefits similar to what I saw on my 675ES with reality creation enabled. I still use them on my RS4500. This is for 1080p content. For native 4K almost no processing is happening just tone mapping.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I investigated further it's definitely related to GPU draw and it's definitely not coming out of the speakers. I can in real time switch to NGU really high and it whines then back to high no whine. This is for 1080p to 2160p. Same goes for 4k chroma, high no whine but really high whines. Should I get a bigger / better power supply?

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
I investigated further it's definitely related to GPU draw and it's definitely not coming out of the speakers. I can in real time switch to NGU really high and it whines then back to high no whine. This is for 1080p to 2160p. Same goes for 4k chroma, high no whine but really high whines. Should I get a bigger / better power supply?
Most likely you will have to just live with it. As long as it's not going through your speakers it shouldn't be too noticeable.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Most likely you will have to just live with it. As long as it's not going through your speakers it shouldn't be too noticeable.
I can't do it, I can't compromise on what is supposed to be a no compromises card. I read a lot yesterday, I had no idea this was such a widespread thing and that most RTX cards have it. I pulled my HTPC out of the rack and ran with the top off and its 100% the card. It's not even that its loud, its just a mind bending annoying frequency that I can't take.

I went back to 1080ti and settled on some settings that work for everything and I will wait to upgrade until they get this whining under control, can't imagine I will have any issue selling the 3090. With the 1080ti in the system is virtually noiseless regardless of what it is doing. The only real difference is it is rendering at 31ms instead of 17ms, no visual difference at all though small compromise on some settings.

I also got my HDDVD rips squared away with a 1080i profile that forces film detection so now they are IVTC'ed correctly every time and the CTRL-J even shows that it is doing this.

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
I can't do it, I can't compromise on what is supposed to be a no compromises card. I read a lot yesterday, I had no idea this was such a widespread thing and that most RTX cards have it. I pulled my HTPC out of the rack and ran with the top off and its 100% the card. It's not even that its loud, its just a mind bending annoying frequency that I can't take.

I went back to 1080ti and settled on some settings that work for everything and I will wait to upgrade until they get this whining under control, can't imagine I will have any issue selling the 3090. With the 1080ti in the system is virtually noiseless regardless of what it is doing. The only real difference is it is rendering at 31ms instead of 17ms, no visual difference at all though small compromise on some settings.

I also got my HDDVD rips squared away with a 1080i profile that forces film detection so now they are IVTC'ed correctly every time and the CTRL-J even shows that it is doing this.
They will never "get this whining under control". It's not a thing that anyone's working on. All cards may or may not do it - including a 1080TI. My 1080TI had coil whine, my 3090 doesn't. It's simply luck of the draw. If you're under the impression that it's caused by some sort of buggy release that'll be fixed, that's wrong. It's not a bug nor is it being worked on. Not only that, but your 1080TI may someday just start doing it. My 1080TI didn't do it at first. My HTPC sits behind a wall so if its not coming over the speakers I cant hear it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
They will never "get this whining under control". It's not a thing that anyone's working on. All cards may or may not do it - including a 1080TI. My 1080TI had coil whine, my 3090 doesn't. It's simply luck of the draw. If you're under the impression that it's caused by some sort of buggy release that'll be fixed, that's wrong. It's not a bug nor is it being worked on. Not only that, but your 1080TI may someday just start doing it. My 1080TI didn't do it at first. My HTPC sits behind a wall so if its not coming over the speakers I cant hear it.
LOL GREAT!!!!

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
LOL GREAT!!!!
Could also be the better quality cards are less likely to do it. I have a founders edition 3090. Do you have a zotac or such perhaps?

Other option might be to load up msi afterburner and slightly underclock your GPU. This might get rid of the whine, make your card run cooler, and also still be tons faster than your 1080.

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
Other option might be to load up msi afterburner and slightly underclock your GPU. This might get rid of the whine, make your card run cooler, and also still be tons faster than your 1080. Others sound proof their case.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Other option might be to load up msi afterburner and slightly underclock your GPU. This might get rid of the whine, make your card run cooler, and also still be tons faster than your 1080. Others sound proof their case.
Tried that didnt help.

Also tried "break in" with GPU torture program which ironically produced no whine at all even with card running at 100%. From what I have read it has to do with variable loads so maybe video processing is rough.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Has no one figured out / tried to add HDMI in to HTPC? Looking at the back of the Envy it has to just be an off the shelf HDMI input card??

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
Has no one figured out / tried to add HDMI in to HTPC? Looking at the back of the Envy it has to just be an off the shelf HDMI input card??
There are no publicly available HDMI capture cards that support HDCP.

·
Registered
264 Posts
There are no publicly available HDMI capture cards that support HDCP.
Well what I want to do doesn't need it. I am an avid Laserdisc collector and what we do for maximum quality is player to ADV7842 eval board (best comb filter available) which outputs 480i over HDMI. I then take the 480i and go into a Denon DVP 602-ci which does noise removal and upscaling to 1080p then run that to Lumagen for 1080p -> 2160p final step. I would like to take the 1080p from Denon and use MadVR for the final upscale and its an HDCP free signal. Seems like Elgato HD60 should work, MPC should see it? I am just not sure if it will accept it with the audio (Denon takes digital audio in from LD and outputs audio and video over HDMI) which is PCM, DD, or DTS.

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
Well what I want to do doesn't need it. I am an avid Laserdisc collector and what we do for maximum quality is player to ADV7842 eval board (best comb filter available) which outputs 480i over HDMI. I then take the 480i and go into a Denon DVP 602-ci which does noise removal and upscaling to 1080p then run that to Lumagen for 1080p -> 2160p final step. I would like to take the 1080p from Denon and use MadVR for the final upscale and its an HDCP free signal. Seems like Elgato HD60 should work, MPC should see it? I am just not sure if it will accept it with the audio (Denon takes digital audio in from LD and outputs audio and video over HDMI) which is PCM, DD, or DTS.
If you dont care about HDCP then any capture card used for game streaming will do. Not sure if these have direct show filters for input into your player. Why not capture all those laser disks as 480p high bitrate MKV files and let madVR upscale those to 4K?

5601 - 5620 of 5650 Posts