AVS Forum banner

5621 - 5640 of 5650 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you dont care about HDCP then any capture card used for game streaming will do. Not sure if these have direct show filters for input into your player. Why not capture all those laser disks as 480p high bitrate MKV files and let madVR upscale those to 4K?
Oh I will try all sorts of things if I can get the input working lol. I found a reddit user that was using Elgato and MPC saw it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I can confirm that going from a 1070 to a 3070 also cut my render times in half with the same settings as before.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
beware most gamer capture cards are lossly get a proper one that allows lossless capture.
do not forget that image quality is still lowered thanks to limitations to 4:2:0 signals

·
Registered
264 Posts
beware most gamer capture cards are lossly get a proper one that allows lossless capture.
do not forget that image quality is still lowered thanks to limitations to 4:2:0 signals
I think the Elgato HD60 Pro will work, this is the company posting on reddit:

"4K60 Pro, HD60 Pro, HD60 S, and Cam Link all send uncompressed video to the computer via Directshow. HD60 Pro though has second feed from its onboard H.264 encoder, so you'll need to use some other software like OBS or Virtualdub to directly address the uncompressed feed.

However this is not untouched, you're looking at 4:2:2 chroma subsampling, so it won't be 'original'. Basically colors will lose some resolution in the horizontal axis."

So I should be able to access uncompressed from MPC albeit 4:2:2.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,784 Posts

"4K60 Pro, HD60 Pro, HD60 S, and Cam Link all send uncompressed video to the computer via Directshow. HD60 Pro though has second feed from its onboard H.264 encoder, so you'll need to use some other software like OBS or Virtualdub to directly address the uncompressed feed.

However this is not untouched, you're looking at 4:2:2 chroma subsampling, so it won't be 'original'. Basically colors will lose some resolution in the horizontal axis."

I have no idea how big your LD collection is, but it might make sense to transfer them to MKV files once (essentially just like ripping CDs, DVDs, or Blurays) and then play the ripped copies moving forward. Your LD player is most likely getting to the point where it's on borrowed time, so minimizing wear and tear on it would probably be a good thing. If you capture at a high enough bitrate, you should be able to produce copies that are indistinguishable from the originals without chewing up too much hard drive space. Once you have MKV files, you'll be able to easily use the software of your choice to play them with MadVR in the loop.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have no idea how big your LD collection is, but it might make sense to transfer them to MKV files once (essentially just like ripping CDs, DVDs, or Blurays) and then play the ripped copies moving forward. Your LD player is most likely getting to the point where it's on borrowed time, so minimizing wear and tear on it would probably be a good thing. If you capture at a high enough bitrate, you should be able to produce copies that are indistinguishable from the originals without chewing up too much hard drive space. Once you have MKV files, you'll be able to easily use the software of your choice to play them with MadVR in the loop.
I have thousands of discs. For me real time playback of LD is a must. I have players with NOS lasers and plenty of extra parts so they will be fine lol.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts

there are device that can capture 444 too but they are really expensive AFAIK. i never really hunter after them but i found a card that was pretty much next level and cost about a grand and is "loud" too.
i don't know what you want to capture there are ways to workaround HDCP too but nearly every video source is 420 so the problem isn't that 422 is downscaling it is that the source is upscaling.

·
Registered
264 Posts
So Elgato HD60 absolutely works and MPC-BE uses its uncompressed stream.

Not sure if this is an issue or not but it seems to tell MadVR that the signal is 60.00hz? Also no matter what I do I cannot get MadVR to IVTC the LD film to proper 24p? I guess visually it isnt a big deal but now its dealing with 60 frames and 1080ti needs some real compromises. If I watch a DVD or HDDVD rip and put force film mode in the profile it will do proper IVTC but even though the capture stream is using the same DVD profile it will not do it?

Also lots of Lip Sync to deal with, does there exist an audio capture card that can take in 5.1 streams and be used by MPC-BE in conjunction with Elgato HD60?

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
an untouched "DVD" stream is "never" 60 HZ your source deint the dvd making is pretty hard if not impossible to to IVTC the file you could try but i don't think madVR can IVTC 422.

about audio there is a reason the envy doesn't support audio.
the 60 Hz info could be a bug of the capture card looking the the repeat frmae every 9 mins hints it could be just wrong inforamtion and 59 would result in a better image.
BTW you could try to set your source to interlace mode or 23p processive DVD player are a thing not sure about LD player.

BTW could you capture an tone mapped image of the lumagen and and upscale test too?
would be nice to have something around proofing anything regarding the lumagen.

·
Registered
264 Posts
an untouched "DVD" stream is "never" 60 HZ your source deint the dvd making is pretty hard if not impossible to to IVTC the file you could try but i don't think madVR can IVTC 422.

about audio there is a reason the envy doesn't support audio.
the 60 Hz info could be a bug of the capture card looking the the repeat frmae every 9 mins hints it could be just wrong inforamtion and 59 would result in a better image.
BTW you could try to set your source to interlace mode or 23p processive DVD player are a thing not sure about LD player.

BTW could you capture an tone mapped image of the lumagen and and upscale test too?
would be nice to have something around proofing anything regarding the lumagen.
The capture card only goes to 1080p so not much I can do about capturing Lumagen.

I might have to change the settings in the capture hardware, maybe I can get proper 59. I can send MadVR any color format I want, if I send RGB would that make IVTC possible?

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
upscaling a dvd to 1080p sounds like a very typical task for a scaler. tone mapping should work too.

madVR doesn't support of IVTC of RGB.
YUV2 works just try to force it using control+alt+t to toggle through. don'T except much it's not supposed to be used after deint.

·
Registered
264 Posts
upscaling a dvd to 1080p sounds like a very typical task for a scaler. tone mapping should work too.

madVR doesn't support of IVTC of RGB.
YUV2 works just try to force it using control+alt+t to toggle through. don'T except much it's not supposed to be used after deint.
Lumagen is being shipped tomorrow, I can try and capture something, what would you like?

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Open the control panel for the capture card while playing a LD and see what it says about the frame rate. I have used an AJA Kona card to capture from LD to a file. I gotta say, though, that compared to even a DVD the video from a LD is almost unwatchable on a large screen without a lot of post processing. I used a CLD-99 and a LD-S9 when I was doing this.

Another thought: What is the desktop refresh rate set to?

And another: Try GraphEditPlus - GraphEdit done right! for more info on how your directshow capture card is seeing the signal from the LD player.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Lumagen is being shipped tomorrow, I can try and capture something, what would you like?
maybe this so i have nothing at hand that will work with a most source devices.

BTW. NGU is pretty bad in this test image.
if you have a relative sharp well known dvd around an image from that would be nice too. take a scene that looks sharp to you.

please make sure the lumagen is only using the scaler and other features are as if possible disabled.
don't over do it this is not a perfect test.

you can disable scaling in mpc-hc using video frame normal size.

·
Registered
212 Posts
How does everyone connect there madvr htpc to there tv/avr ? I’m asking because I’m wondering about the hdr10+/Dolby vision pass through for most avrs. Unless you have one of the newest avrs that support the hdr10+/Dolby vision how do you get around this ?

·
Registered
393 Posts
How does everyone connect there madvr htpc to there tv/avr ? I’m asking because I’m wondering about the hdr10+/Dolby vision pass through for most avrs. Unless you have one of the newest avrs that support the hdr10+/Dolby vision how do you get around this ?
a hdfury vertex should work they also make cheaper ones that should work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
a hdfury vertex should work they also make cheaper ones that should work

I’m confused about where this would go ? Wouldn’t be it cheaper to have one hdmi go to the tv for video and another to the avr for audio ? That’s the way I’ve done it in the past since I don’t have a 4K avr. But I’m upgrading to one that does 4khdr10 just not hdr10+.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I’m confused about where this would go ? Wouldn’t be it cheaper to have one hdmi go to the tv for video and another to the avr for audio ? That’s the way I’ve done it in the past since I don’t have a 4K avr. But I’m upgrading to one that does 4khdr10 just not hdr10+.
if u have 2 hdmis out yes

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,298 Posts
I don't know if I know exactly what you are asking here, but PCs don't support Dolby Vision or HDR10+ passthrough so it's irrelevant whether the AVR they are hooked up to supports it or not.

5621 - 5640 of 5650 Posts