AVS Forum banner

6101 - 6120 of 6132 Posts

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,338 Posts
Thanks for taking time to assess. Then again I am using straight up ngu Sharp... And really, I don't have any of the madVR edge enhancements things or post processing turned on because everything I read indicated that I didn't really need it with a Blu-ray source.
I actually like some enhance detail on upscaling refinement. I suggest around 1.5 to 2.0 on good quality source.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I actually like some enhance detail on upscaling refinement. I suggest around 1.5 to 2.0 on good quality source.
I agree. I learned that kind of late just today. Enhancements do make a difference even on very pristine sources.

-T

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,338 Posts
I agree. I learned that kind of late just today. Enhancements do make a difference even on very pristine sources.

-T
For a pixel shifting image upscaling, I would use NGU Sharp, as high as your card allows (high minimum preferable), and then try something like this for upscaling refinement. I think this was close to what I used on my RS640.

Edit: You can also separate high and low quality videos and use a profile script for them. You'd have to use some sort of file naming convention for it (actually add the word 'highquality' to your filename like "Star Wars Episode 1 - highquality - 1080p.mkv"). So you could add 'highquality' in the filename somewhere for all high quality files. Then you could do a profile switch using something like:
If fileName = "highquality" HIGH_QUALITY_PROFILE
else LOW_QUALITY_PROFILE

Reactions: T-Bone

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
For a pixel shifting image upscaling, I would use NGU Sharp, as high as your card allows (high minimum preferable), and then try something like this for upscaling refinement. I think this was close to what I used on my RS640.
View attachment 3118875
With my DLP - LED projector, it is supposed to have very smooth motion, but watching blu rays off PS4, I am getting bad motion smearing and .... motion for objects, like a trail or dots instead of smooth motion. I go to the menu, it says it is displaying 24hz vertical resolution, but 26.9hz (I think, maybe it was 26.7, I dont remember, 26.x) "horizontal refresh rate."

Someone else with the same projector who says it gives the smoothest motion they've seen says "but I am using it with madvr output 23.96hz" or something since movies aren't actually 24hz normally, they're 23.96hz. However, I dont think it's reasonable that you cant get smooth motion off blu rays on the PS4. Obviously you cant get teh same detail as with madvr, but motion should be the same. Ive never had problems with motion off the PS4 for blurays onto a projector with good motion, although it's been years since I used that combination, maybe it was even a PS3.

Still my point is, it seems unlikely to me that the PS4 outputting blurays is the problem. However, it does seem odd to me that the projector says it's getting 26.x horizontal refresh rate. Shouldn't it be 24hz for both each of vertical and horizontal? And maybe when the PS4 says 24hz, it actually means 23.96hz or whatever the correct version is?

Just trying to troubleshoot the problem, and if you think madvr is the reason someone else with the same projector isn't having the same problem, or if more likely there is something going on with my projector, or their eyes just aren't sensitive to whatever is going on like mine are?

·
Super Moderator
10,338 Posts
With my DLP - LED projector, it is supposed to have very smooth motion, but watching blu rays off PS4, I am getting bad motion smearing and .... motion for objects, like a trail or dots instead of smooth motion. I go to the menu, it says it is displaying 24hz vertical resolution, but 26.9hz (I think, maybe it was 26.7, I dont remember, 26.x) "horizontal refresh rate."

Someone else with the same projector who says it gives the smoothest motion they've seen says "but I am using it with madvr output 23.96hz" or something since movies aren't actually 24hz normally, they're 23.96hz. However, I dont think it's reasonable that you cant get smooth motion off blu rays on the PS4. Obviously you cant get teh same detail as with madvr, but motion should be the same. Ive never had problems with motion off the PS4 for blurays onto a projector with good motion, although it's been years since I used that combination, maybe it was even a PS3.

Still my point is, it seems unlikely to me that the PS4 outputting blurays is the problem. However, it does seem odd to me that the projector says it's getting 26.x horizontal refresh rate. Shouldn't it be 24hz for both each of vertical and horizontal? And maybe when the PS4 says 24hz, it actually means 23.96hz or whatever the correct version is?

Just trying to troubleshoot the problem, and if you think madvr is the reason someone else with the same projector isn't having the same problem, or if more likely there is something going on with my projector, or their eyes just aren't sensitive to whatever is going on like mine are?
For smooth motion, you need to match the video playback rate. I'm not an expert on playing blurays on a PS4 and this thread is about madVR so who knows. Most likely your problem is related to the player playing the content at the wrong playback rate. 26.7hz is going to just be wrong on any display. Honestly, if it's that, I'm surprised you even have HDMI sync.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
For smooth motion, you need to match the video playback rate. I'm not an expert on playing blurays on a PS4 and this thread is about madVR so who knows. Most likely your problem is related to the player playing the content at the wrong playback rate. 26.7hz is going to just be wrong on any display. Honestly, if it's that, I'm surprised you even have HDMI sync.
It's playing at 24hz. But the "horizontal refresh" says 26.x hz. It says the overall display is displaying the 24hz input at 48hz, which is correct for this projector. But it says the horizontal refresh it's getting is 26.x not 24.x or something.

Edit: here is an example from the PS4 menu, where it displays at 60hz instead of 24hz. You can see that for horizontal, the number is higher, 67.x. https://www.avsforum.com/cdn-cgi/im...forum.com/attachments/m150-input-jpg.3117845/

The same thing is happening with the 24hz content, where the horizontal is higher than the rest. Otherwise everything is how you would expect. So I figure this must be normal, but if it's not then that would explain my problem.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Brazen,

I was hopeful that Kodi v19 Matrix or the latest v20 nightly was an alternative to my constant, tried and true use of MPC-HC with MadVR since it can play Blu-ray folders, but I can't seem to get it to passthrough audio no matter what variation or combination of Audio output device or Passthrough output device I choose. I am running Windows 10 which is current on updates.

Any help you can give will be very much appreciated, if possible.
Assuming you are using HDMI from your GPU to your AVR:

Kodi:
Wasapi for both.
Number of channels = 2.0 (this reveals more supported formats in the Passthrough option which should be enabled)
Output Config = Best Match
After enabling Passthrough, enable the formats your AVR is capable of.

Windows Audio Properties:
Play something that doesn't passthrough.
Right click the audio icon in the tray.
Does it show 'Speaker setup' 5.1, 7.1 or stereo? Should be whatever your system is.
If it does show your appropriate config, hover over it and select Advanced Setup. If it doesn't, select your config and then enter Advanced setup.
Once your in the audio properties GUI, proceed with highlighting your audio device with a single click (there should only be one active and that's your AVR)
Select configure and config your speakers.
Next, double click your highlighted AVR and config the tabs - Self explanatory.

If high bitrate audio passes through with MPC-HC, then it will with official Kodi. Something's just not quite right is all. If you still have trouble, hit me up again and we can delve in further but we shouldn't hijack this thread. My thread at Kodi is ok though.

·
Super Moderator
10,338 Posts
It's playing at 24hz. But the "horizontal refresh" says 26.x hz. It says the overall display is displaying the 24hz input at 48hz, which is correct for this projector. But it says the horizontal refresh it's getting is 26.x not 24.x or something.

Edit: here is an example from the PS4 menu, where it displays at 60hz instead of 24hz. You can see that for horizontal, the number is higher, 67.x. https://www.avsforum.com/cdn-cgi/im...forum.com/attachments/m150-input-jpg.3117845/

The same thing is happening with the 24hz content, where the horizontal is higher than the rest. Otherwise everything is how you would expect. So I figure this must be normal, but if it's not then that would explain my problem.
Oh, that's nothing to be worried about. The monitors all have timings. What we commonly assign to "refresh rate" is the vertical refresh rate. Ignore the horizontal rate that's just there for info.

Reactions: Technology3456

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm having a weird issue that I'm hoping you guys can help me out with. Yesterday I installed some windows updates and updated the driver for my Nvidia GTX 1660 at the same time. After rebooting, my HDR no longer works properly when using Kodi DSPlayer with madVR+LAV. HDR is washed out, UI elements which used to look terrible in HDR mode look perfectly normal, and when I go back to Kodi, the UI is completely blown out. I made a video to demonstrate what I'm seeing.

When going back to the Kodi UI, HDR is no longer enabled, but clearly something has happened to how the program is processing images through the video card. I uninstalled all the updates that were added, removed the display drivers and reinstalled the older versions I was on, and nothing has changed.

Here's the debug output from madVR:

My setup is Nvidia to Denon 6400 to Sony 900F. One thing that's concerning is that the Nvidia setup won't let me change the bitdepth of the Denon from 8 bits for some reason. I'm almost positive that used to be set to 10. You'll notice in the screenshot above it says it's outputting in 8bit. No idea if that's related to this issue or something that's always existed in my setup.

Anybody have any ideas on how I can solve this? It's rendered my HTPC pretty much useless for HDR content, but SDR continues to work just fine.

·
Registered
333 Posts
So after doing some further reading, I rolled my driver back to 446.14, the last one that passthrough apparently worked perfectly. No longer have the issue of the colors completely blown out after playing an SDR movie, but HDR is still somewhat washed out... because my TV isn't switching to HDR, even though HDR passthrough is enabled. I'm completely at a loss since this was working fine somehow... and now it's not. If I manually go through the TV's picture settings and enable HDR everything looks great again, but I've never had to do that before and it's a huge pain to enable/disable every time.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
So after doing some further reading, I rolled my driver back to 446.14, the last one that passthrough apparently worked perfectly. No longer have the issue of the colors completely blown out after playing an SDR movie, but HDR is still somewhat washed out... because my TV isn't switching to HDR, even though HDR passthrough is enabled. I'm completely at a loss since this was working fine somehow... and now it's not. If I manually go through the TV's picture settings and enable HDR everything looks great again, but I've never had to do that before and it's a huge pain to enable/disable every time.
This is one of the many reasons I keep my software/hardware on the current iterations that are working and prevent automatic updates via Windows Update and/or disconnect my HTPC from the internet. This way, everything works as it always has and should. I update by necessity and that's few and far in between. Updates usually have bugs that need to be worked out with time. In my experience, I find it sage to wait it out and apply in the future, if needed.

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
I haven't allowed Windows 10 to update for over a year, after completing the initial install. I have not changed Nvidia driver either; still running with 436.48. No reason to fix something that is not broken.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I keep my O/S up to date for security issues and improvements. Same with driver updates for everything. Software as well. If you haven't updated your nVidia drivers, you've been missing out on the improved timings for quite some time unless you happen to like frame drops every few minutes. Personally, updating Kodi software now provides HDR menus and many other improvements I've been looking forward to but if you're still using SDR instead of upgrading to HDR this wouldn't matter much.

Usually, updates go hand in hand with O/S evolvement so keeping everything up to date is a good idea. Most of the complaints I read blame this or that update caused them problems but very few others share the complaint because they are up to date with most things. While you are hesitant to update because nothing is broken, you are actually still using what the rest of us fixed when we updated - not to mention keeping yourselves vulnerable using old unaddressed holes be it software, drivers, or the O/S.

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
I keep my O/S up to date for security issues and improvements. Same with driver updates for everything. Software as well. If you haven't updated your nVidia drivers, you've been missing out on the improved timings for quite some time unless you happen to like frame drops every few minutes. Personally, updating Kodi software now provides HDR menus and many other improvements I've been looking forward to but if you're still using SDR instead of upgrading to HDR this wouldn't matter much.

Usually, updates go hand in hand with O/S evolvement so keeping everything up to date is a good idea. Most of the complaints I read blame this or that update caused them problems but very few others share the complaint because they are up to date with most things. While you are hesitant to update because nothing is broken, you are actually still using what the rest of us fixed when we updated - not to mention keeping yourselves vulnerable using old unaddressed holes be it software, drivers, or the O/S.
I use CRU for custom refresh rate and have zero frame drops or repeats. I use JRiver with full disc menu support. With a projector I have no reason to send HDR but tone map to SDR BT2020 instead.

·
Super Moderator
10,338 Posts
While you are hesitant to update because nothing is broken, you are actually still using what the rest of us fixed when we updated
Yea, sounds like the guy that reported all the problems after the "update" is enjoying "what the rest of us fixed" quite well.

Reactions: SuperFist

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
I'm having a weird issue that I'm hoping you guys can help me out with. Yesterday I installed some windows updates and updated the driver for my Nvidia GTX 1660 at the same time. After rebooting, my HDR no longer works properly when using Kodi DSPlayer with madVR+LAV. HDR is washed out, UI elements which used to look terrible in HDR mode look perfectly normal, and when I go back to Kodi, the UI is completely blown out. I made a video to demonstrate what I'm seeing.

When going back to the Kodi UI, HDR is no longer enabled, but clearly something has happened to how the program is processing images through the video card. I uninstalled all the updates that were added, removed the display drivers and reinstalled the older versions I was on, and nothing has changed.

Here's the debug output from madVR:
View attachment 3119216

My setup is Nvidia to Denon 6400 to Sony 900F. One thing that's concerning is that the Nvidia setup won't let me change the bitdepth of the Denon from 8 bits for some reason. I'm almost positive that used to be set to 10. You'll notice in the screenshot above it says it's outputting in 8bit. No idea if that's related to this issue or something that's always existed in my setup.

Anybody have any ideas on how I can solve this? It's rendered my HTPC pretty much useless for HDR content, but SDR continues to work just fine.
Your TV reports HDR. And is in Cinema User mode. Is Cinema User your HDR picture mode? If not, what happens if you enable Auto Picture Mode?

I send RGB 8-bit. I can't recall if it was when trying to set Nvidia to 8-bit or to 12-bit. But the option would not display unless I made a change, apply, and then select again. But then I am using an older driver.

Too bad you don't have an HDfury device that will report what is being sent.

·
Registered
333 Posts

After doing a ton of research on this to get things back to normal (which I believe I have though for some reason requiring different settings than I was using before), there are issues with nVidia drivers and madVR. I don't think that's even a question. I've been using madVR with this GTX1660 for almost 2 years, and once I locked down my settings for individual frame rates I never experience any frame drops.

I try to update Windows every 3-6 months and typically don't apply updates at any other time. My last update was on 1/14, so I was a little ahead of schedule in fact. I might need to rethink that strategy to make it a little easier to rollback in the future if I do encounter problems again.

Yea, sounds like the guy that reported all the problems after the "update" is enjoying "what the rest of us fixed" quite well.
:D Yeah, I'm gonna lock down the nVidia drivers for now I think. As I don't game on the HTPC that's an acceptable alternative for me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Your TV reports HDR. And is in Cinema User mode. Is Cinema User your HDR picture mode? If not, what happens if you enable Auto Picture Mode?
Cinema User is just a color preset/picture mode on the Sony -- I have the colors balance setup in a way that works pretty well for desktop use and movies in both SDR and HDR. Auto picture mode will attempt to switch to a picture mode based on the content flags (i.e. game, images, cinema, etc.).

Anyway, I got it working this afternoon. The trick to get passthrough back for me was to enable "use Direct3D 11 for presentation":

I know I didn't have that checked before because I got terrible stuttering/judder on it until I read the tip to only present a single frame in advance, and that option was still on the default 8. Now everything is butter smooth again.

I send RGB 8-bit. I can't recall if it was when trying to set Nvidia to 8-bit or to 12-bit. But the option would not display unless I made a change, apply, and then select again. But then I am using an older driver.
Seemed no matter what driver I tried, 8-bit was the only option available, and usually it's completely grayed out unless I've changed another setting. The HTPC is hooked up to a Denon 6400 which should handle 10 and 12 bit, and the TV is 10-bit. I have no idea what I had it on before.

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
Seemed no matter what driver I tried, 8-bit was the only option available, and usually it's completely grayed out unless I've changed another setting. The HTPC is hooked up to a Denon 6400 which should handle 10 and 12 bit, and the TV is 10-bit. I have no idea what I had it on before.
I have a Denon X6400H as well. I am able to set either RGB 8-bit or 12-bit. But not RGB 10-bit. I think Nvidia enabled RGB 10-bit for the 3000 series cards.

Reactions: MordredKLB

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have a Denon X6400H as well. I am able to set either RGB 8-bit or 12-bit. But not RGB 10-bit. I think Nvidia enabled RGB 10-bit for the 3000 series cards.
So certainly possible that the driver doesn't support RGB 10-bit, and since the TV doesn't support 12, 8's the only valid option. Wish I'd saved a screenshot of my old settings just so I'm sure I'm not crazy :)

6101 - 6120 of 6132 Posts