AVS Forum banner

6121 - 6132 of 6132 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
So certainly possible that the driver doesn't support RGB 10-bit, and since the TV doesn't support 12, 8's the only valid option. Wish I'd saved a screenshot of my old settings just so I'm sure I'm not crazy :)
That reminds me... I returned a 4K TV because it did not support RGB-12 bit. That was before I decided that I preferred sending RGB 8-bit once I found a workaround for the 8-bit HDR bug in my JVC projector.

·
Registered
333 Posts
can you share the name of the TV and resolution you are sending/framerate?
I"m assuming this was directed at me. It's a Sony X900F. I'm sending 4k @ 60 for desktop, and whatever the source is for movies. I've tried dropping the resolution to 1080p and changing the frame rate of the desktop and it doesn't seem to make any difference on what options I get for bpc.

·
Registered
333 Posts
That reminds me... I returned a 4K TV because it did not support RGB-12 bit. That was before I decided that I preferred sending RGB 8-bit once I found a workaround for the 8-bit HDR bug in my JVC projector.
So this brings up a good question. If my source is HDR10, but the nVidia is sending 8bpc to the display, what exactly am I losing? Is BT.2020 still recommended for the display?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I"m assuming this was directed at me. It's a Sony X900F. I'm sending 4k @ 60 for desktop, and whatever the source is for movies. I've tried dropping the resolution to 1080p and changing the frame rate of the desktop and it doesn't seem to make any difference on what options I get for bpc.
this TV accepts 12 bit without a question.
did you change the HDMI signal format to enhanced on the TV?

·
Registered
333 Posts
this TV accepts 12 bit without a question.
did you change the HDMI signal format to enhanced on the TV?
You sure about that? I've always had it set to Enhanced Format, and the caption on the option reads: "Select this option only if your device supports HQ HDMI formats such as: 4K 60p 4:2:0 10bit, 4:4:4, 4:2:2."

I can't find any evidence online that it supports 12-bit either.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
yes i'm absolutely sure about this.
without advanced format you are limited to HDMI 1.4 bandwidth which can't do 10/12 bit at 60 HZ even with advanced format you still can't do more than 8 bit when the resolution is UHD 60 with 4:4:4 the bandwidth is simple to small.

even 8 year old TVs support 12 bit input it's just an absolute default feature. it such a default feature that nvidia doesn't even support 10 bit output until very recent and only for HDMI 2.1 devices using HDMI because everything that could do 10 bit could do 12 bit too.
there was one exception but i'm not going into that.

so this issue could range from to little bandwidth for the resolution sample rate/frame rate to custom resolution and such.

·
Registered
333 Posts
yes i'm absolutely sure about this.
without advanced format you are limited to HDMI 1.4 bandwidth which can't do 10/12 bit at 60 HZ even with advanced format you still can't do more than 8 bit when the resolution is UHD 60 with 4:4:4 the bandwidth is simple to small.

even 8 year old TVs support 12 bit input it's just an absolute default feature. it such a default feature that nvidia doesn't even support 10 bit output until very recent and only for HDMI 2.1 devices using HDMI because everything that could do 10 bit could do 12 bit too.
there was one exception but i'm not going into that.

so this issue could range from to little bandwidth for the resolution sample rate/frame rate to custom resolution and such.
Okay, I figured it out. I think earlier when I was testing 1080p I must not have applied the new resolution and I guess I hadn't adjusted the frame rates below 60 for 4k. I run RGB Full, and won't be changing that.

So I can run 12bpc in [email protected], or [email protected] or 30Hz. HDMI2.0b doesn't have the bandwidth to do 12bpc at 4k/60Hz.

I did some switching back and forth and I feel like 12bpc looks better than 8bpc, but good chance it's entirely placebo since I can't double-blind it. Think I'll leave things at 4k/[email protected] for regular desktop use even if mouse movement is definitely a little jumpy.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m new to this and thinking of using MadVR for my gaming PC since the lumagen pro only supports 60fps and my new projector can handle 4k 120. Am I able to use MadVR with my gaming pc to DTM 4k 120 for pc gaming?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Look up the changelog 18.9 vs 19.0. There are many advantages upgrading to v19 and some are absolutely game changing and significant. Whether they affect your usage or not... only you can determine. Btw, it's not Kody. It's Kodi.

6121 - 6132 of 6132 Posts